What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

hammerite rust remover dip CAUTION

18pounder

I have used this stuff before and have had good results from it, bit i have noticed a potential problem with it.

Ive soaked stuff for 24hrs and either my solution was too strong or i left the item in too long but i found the surface of the metal to have been etched or eaten away,leaving a rough finish.:tinysmile_eyebrow_t

This could have caused damage to any stampings.
Must be the acid eating too much.

Just thought i'd share my experiance with you, as i think it could spoil a project if left too long soaking.

Who users which brand?

Hi 18 pounder, I use it a lot and get very good results. From memory the instructions say dip it for 24 hours. With expensive items (like butterfly bomb wings etc.) I tend to check the items every 6 hours or so..........just in case.
So yes, use with caution, but I've found it to be good stuff. Could it be that the rough finish was caused by the rust in the first place? I'll have to try dipping a clean piece of metal in it and see if it etches it.
One other thing, I dipped some 28/20 relic projectiles a while ago. The remains of the magnesium caps (they were white powdery lumps) got dissolved overnight so it obviously reacts in different ways with different metals.
Dave.

I use a mix of aluminium swarfs and vinegar to remove the rust. Just fill a small plastic container with aluminium swarfs, put the rusted item in it and fill it up with vinegar. After 2-3 days take the item out and clean it with a wirebrush. Sometimes it is enough but for stronger rusted items you can repeat the procedure one or two times.
Takes some days but the results are usually very good!