Welcome to the Inert Ordnance Collectors.
  • Login:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Interesting thread-
    Has anybody heard of the U.S. navy 5" kinetic energy projectile, dispenser type.
    (paraphrasing at best- long week- no sleep for 3 days)
    It's a neat little ejection round that pops the base off over the target, dumping around 3000 tungsten BBs over the target area- each of which retain the forward velocity of the 5" shell, spraying an area the size of a football field, with some pretty nasty results- BBs going the speed of an artillery shell can do some serious damage.

Images
    Thanks
    Even when we used CS Bombletes on the NVA for rescues over the North, laos, and Cambodia of downed pilots, or Recon Teams in trouble in stated above countries, it had to be approved through Saigon first.

Remember we never lost a battle there and US-Subs is correct. It was a war of deciet, bad policies, and a political nightmare. I personnaly blame McNamara for it all.

Mark

Thanks

COFRAM Authority

As everyone has stated COFRAM was the classified program for at that time the latest generation of fragmentation submuntions and other small ordnance such as the M406 40mm grenade and M67 hand grenade. The term was directed to the submunitions, not the carriers. As far as I know, no medium or large caliber HE projectiles were ever fielded with the COFRAM fragmentation concept as a direct part of the projectile body. The precise internal "coining" and pre-determined fragmentation pattern was a new concept and resulted in a much improved lethality in a small package. Because of the SECRET classification, even those COFRAM items sent to Vietnam had to be approved before firing them because it was know that sooner or later the concept would be compromised. They were kept under such strict wraps that when I participated in the clean-up operation of the Danang ASP blow we, as EOD, found the ground littered with dispersed, unfired COFRAM submunitions that we had never seen before and had no data on. No one locally could release any data. Facing thousands of them, I took one, went over a berm and carefully disassembled it to see how it functioned and what danger it presented. A short time later the lid on COFRAM was lifted because so many of the different types of submunitions had been fired. As far as the use of tactical nukes, there was consideration, but never serious thoughts.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12