What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

9mm SMAW

smle2009

Can any one help with the L number for the 9mm smaw tracer,found it for the spotting round(L3A1) but can find no referance to the tracer.
Cheers
Tony

Tony the only ref i have for these are as follows..
L3a1 "round 9mm spotter tracer L3A1" is used in both operational weapons and the outdoor trainer,and has a natural brass/gilding metal finish.
L4 "round 9mm spotter tracer L4" is only to be found pre loaded into the chamber of the spotting rifle of the operational weapon.Both bullet and cartridge case have a chrome plated finish as additional environmental protection.
hope this helps
allan

Hi Allan,
thanks for that,didn't know about the L4!,They did also use a tracer with just a red tip(tracer spotter had a yellow on red tip),but can find very little info on it,also trying to find out if the .22" Hornet blank 're cocked' the action when it partially leaves the case on firing,seems to be some debate on this from the info I have found on this!
All the best
Tony

The attatched document will answer this for you

Attachments

• 3spot - Copy.jpg
    3spot - Copy.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 32
Thanks Allan thats great,on a mission now to sniff out a L4!
There is a small update on the above info you posted,concerning the .22" hornet blank,Radway green took over manufacture later on,not sure when but the two I have are 1989 dated which are RG marked
Hope this is helpfull to your records
Cheers
Tony

7.62mm experimental SMAW

I am still looking for a 7.62mm experimental SMAW spotter round by Radway Green. These were the precursor to the service 9mm round and had a long lead bullet. They worked on the same High-low pressure system and used a .22 Hornet case made by Winchester-Western.

They were not adopted as apparently not enough flash composition could be fitted in the front of a 7.62mm bullet.

I know falcon has a fired case he found at a boot sale, but I am looking for a full round.

Regards
TonyE