What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

9mm Sky/Air Marshall Round

hicky1300

As promised to a few of you pics of this bullet.
Made of either a nylon or poly plastic.
This is in a standard 9mm case.
Bullet upper half is small diameter than an FMJ bur lower half is standard dia & would engage in the rifling.
It is hollow.
Apologies for poor quailty pics as Santa didn`t get me a new camera & I thought I`d been good last year!!:bigsmile:

Attachments

• DCP02011.JPG
    DCP02011.JPG
    63 KB · Views: 188
  • DCP02013.JPG
    DCP02013.JPG
    65.7 KB · Views: 157
  • DCP02014.JPG
    DCP02014.JPG
    64.8 KB · Views: 152
9mm

Yes, yes, but what is the headstamp? What nationality is it?

Regards
TonyE

Thanks for posting the picture. I don't think I have ever seen this round before.

Please post the headstamp. It would be a great help in identifying this round.

Cheers,

Lew

Lew, I have see these made from all sorts of fired cases with bullets pushed in. Mine has an IMI headstamp. The bullet is easy to remove once pushed in. They seem to be commonly available in cases as inert rounds in the UK. Maybe a company in the UK moulded the bullets and they were never loaded?

I am not sure if that is the same ammo that the US Federal Air Marhalls carry here in the states. I talked to one Husband & Wife team while brining back a prisoner from Florida at some airport in the Tampa-St.Petersburg area. He told me but I cannot remember now what he said?:frown::frown::frown:

Apologies to TonyE & Lewis for not getting back to you.
The rounds I got had had the projectiles inserted to a mix of fired cases.
As Falcon states these are easy to fit/remove so I suspect the guy I got them from had just got hold of some of the bullets & fitted them himself.
Still looking for those damn .38 ones!! Found what I think are .40/.44 ones though - proj`s. only will post pic when I stumble across them again!!
The great sort out goes on:wink: - & on & on:nerd:

When I retired from the Army I went to work for an explosives component manufacture here in the US. They made primers detonator etc for fuzes. They made what was called a 1308 detonator. This det was used in .22 cal, 9mm and 45 cal bullets. They were shipped to a company in Georgia US for assembly to the bullets. Those guys had a contract to make bullets for Air Marshall's. But the contract was cancelled after Regan was shot with one of their .22 cal bullets.

I was able to test a number of these det's on witness plates and then actually loaded bullets. They were not that impressive, as they were very small. This I still have some of the empty cups, but if I recall they were less then 1/16th in dia and less then 1/4" in length. A 147gr hollow point made a bigger hole then the 9mm loaded with one of these det's

here are mine, IMI headstamp:

a14d95ec-4836-4e1f-b5a9-58d162649022.jpeg

01bc78ff-3f26-4f44-9652-f95b10268e06.jpeg

0078c724-b19a-4251-9545-6a1558ae3f22.jpeg

having a clear out, so if anyone wants them, drop me a DM :)

These are shown as Air Marshall rounds. I have difficulty believing this. I can't imagine an operational Air Marshall situation where this round would be used! Perhaps an indoor practice round, but nothing intended for an Air Marshall to carry. The only legit Air Marshall rounds I have encountered are intended to be lethal or incapacitating with very minimal penetration.

Is there any information identifying them as Air Marshall rounds, or perhaps information on what their original intent is.

Thanks,
Lewis

Lew, as you know I am collecting other cartridges.
Unfortunately I have never seen an air Marshal 9mm pistol round.
However I can Show a couple in .38 Special

One from the US, from S&B and one from Mesko.

Rgds

Attachments

• lewis.jpg
    lewis.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 23
Dutch, I am not sure I have a single "REAL" Sky Marshal round in 9x19! I can think of a couple of rounds that might, potentially be used in this way, but I have to do some digging to see if they were actually designed for this purpose. If I find anything, I will let you know.

Thanks!

Lew

Lew, could this roumd from Israel be one of them?

Rgds

Attachments

• l1.JPG
    l1.JPG
    26.1 KB · Views: 21
I was told this bean bag was for skymarshalls....

Attachments

• .38 bean bag.jpg
    .38 bean bag.jpg
    298.7 KB · Views: 14
Dutch, My understanding is that the Israeli load pictured is a short range guard load for security personnel. It is dated about the same time as the SSB load and both were intended for use in an Uzi with the squeeze bore attachment on the end of the barrel similar to those used on the SSB 50 Brownings. Jon C probably knows a lot more and he checks this Forum.

Cheers,
Lew

Just ran across an interesting articles on Sky Marshal ammo!

http://www.aero-news.net/index.cfm?do=main.textpost&id=f4a139f2-1939-4155-a2ba-1708e6c2a75e

https://m.washingtontimes.com/news/2006/jun/13/20060613-123248-2105r/

https://www.tactical-life.com/firearms/israeli-mossad-22-lrs/

The bit below indicates that a US collector labeled this round a Sky Marshal load!

[h=2]9x19 "Sky Marshal"[/h]9x19mm Israeli "Sky marshal" TZ - 1 -72. Brass cased, projectile is stainless steel balls in a resin matrix.
Developed as either a squeeze bore, were the round is broken up in the barrel of the pistol for a shot gun effect, or as a frangible that would break up on hard targets, but enter soft ones. It was rejected and eventually given the name "Sky Marshall" by a D. Dietz. Same time frame as the Israeli SSB (Salvo Squeeze Bore?) loads made by Colt. Not very accurate.

Lew, those IMI cases were a non-Israeli commercial contract, so I would discount any Israeli origin for the light plastic bullets.
The Israeli "clear plastic with balls" rounds were labeled as "Experimental", and from the same time the IDF/ElAl were phasing the .22 Berettas out and phasing in 9mm Beretta 951 pistols. My understanding has always been that they were meant to be a "Glaser-type" bullet for air marshal use. I don't recall ever hearing of these bullets being used in an SSB barrel, but it might be true.
Wish I could help more, but that's all I got.