What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

JP233 Bomblet Casing.

Jagd301

A few years ago i was having look around our local militaria/antiques shop in town and on floor by some shell cases was this object of the like id never seen before. It was approx 90mm diameter by 90mm tall green steel with dimpled outer casing and yellow markings on its top section. At a guess i thought it might be some form of fragmentation sleeve so asked how much it was-"5" the guy replied so i bought it. Once home i looked through my books and found that this item was a casing from a British JP233 area denial bomblet. Not bad for a fiver and im glad i picked it up as i almost didnt bother. Tim.

A few years ago i was having look around our local militaria/antiques shop in town and on floor by some shell cases was this object of the like id never seen before. It was approx 90mm diameter by 90mm tall green steel with dimpled outer casing and yellow markings on its top section. At a guess i thought it might be some form of fragmentation sleeve so asked how much it was-"5" the guy replied so i bought it. Once home i looked through my books and found that this item was a casing from a British JP233 area denial bomblet. Not bad for a fiver and im glad i picked it up as i almost didnt bother. Tim.

photo would be good be a bonus!

good find

The JP233 isn't actually a bomblet/submunition, it is a dispenser, which carries the submunitions. The munition you are describing is the HB-876, one of two types of submunitions carried in this dispenser. The system (nicknamed Hades) is fairly elaborate, using a number of relatively large SG-357 submunitions to punch holes into and buckle up sections of runway, with the HB-876 then scattered around the area as area-denial, to keep repair crews away from the damage.

I've attached photos of ones from the collection, the first is the HB876 and should be close to what you purchased, the second is the SG-357.

Attachments

• DSC_0182.jpg
    DSC_0182.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 97
  • DSC_0058.jpg
    DSC_0058.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 101
Hb876.

Thats correct and i did mean to mention the HB876 Area Denial bomblet. Its exactly same as the one you have only its just the green casing. I should imagine they would be worth more than a fiver though! Best regards, Tim.