What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

7.62x51mm NATO BALL L2A2 RADWAY GREEN 400 Round Tin

EagleEyes

Here is an example of an Ammo Tin containing 400 rounds of 7.62x51mm NATO BALL L2A2 manufactured by Radway Green.

Each tin contains 8 plastic green cases.
Each case contains 50 rounds of BALL L2A2 .
Headstamp: RG 87 (+)

Packaging: Green Polystyrene top cover and two Black Plastic dividers.
Note: A length of fabric has been ties around a case on each row to aid removal.

Any further information and history would be appreciated.

Attachments

• 7.62x51mm RG 400 Rds 01a.JPG
    7.62x51mm RG 400 Rds 01a.JPG
    75.2 KB · Views: 68
  • 7.62x51mm RG 400 Rds 01b.jpg
    7.62x51mm RG 400 Rds 01b.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 67
  • 7.62x51mm RG 400 Rds 01c.jpg
    7.62x51mm RG 400 Rds 01c.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 65
  • 7.62x51mm RG 400 Rds 01d.jpg
    7.62x51mm RG 400 Rds 01d.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 75
  • 7.62x51mm RG 400 Rds 01e.jpg
    7.62x51mm RG 400 Rds 01e.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 86
Not much to add to what you have said really. Sometimes the rounds would turn up in these tins or crates of 20 round card boxes.
Eitherway it would then be distributed amongst the squad for each individual to load up in strips or load mags or in extreme cases link up for GPMG use.

The steel outer is an H83 box. The packaging all seems to be there. I remember some without the centre plastic divider dropped off a depot trailer one day - the bullets of the top layer impacted on the percussion caps of the rounds in the bottom layer. What fun!

If you look at the handle end of the box you will see the designation, manufacturer initials and manufacture date. If there are 2 small lugs pointing at you near the top it is a mk 2 box if they are missing it is a mk 1.

The H.83 is now used for a vast variety of different types of ammunition.

Without reference to the "manual" I believe there is one more piec missing from the base of the box. It is usually green plastic and has a hollow slot. It serves to level off the inside of the box, fitting around the "dimple".

Last edited:
Hi,
I'm new to this forum and no expert, so I'm probably about to put my foot in my mouth....

I'm remembering shooting for my school at Bisley around 1990 (Parker and Hale 7.62mm L85) and believe this type of packaging for protecting high grade ammunition:

For practice we used standard grade ammunition that came in the usual carboard cartons in a light plywood box bound with wire.
For competitions we used (or so we were told) Match grade or, very rarely, Sniper grade. Both always came in these plastic crates (good for holding 2+10 while shooting). The tin usually had a piece of corrugated clear plastic at the very bottom.

Now the bit i'm really uncertain about.... the laquer around the primer (is annulus the right term for this?) denoted the grade
red = standard
purple = Match (the ones in the photo look purple, but difficult to tell)
Dark Green = Sniper.

Jim.

If you were lucky you could find the green plastic containers in the bins and bear them off. They have been very useful for storing various types of SAA or empties.

If you were lucky you could find the green plastic containers in the bins and bear them off. They have been very useful for storing various types of SAA or empties.

And as an ex clerk, I would add ideal for storing pens on ones desk :D

7.62mm Match ammo

Hi,
I'm new to this forum and no expert, so I'm probably about to put my foot in my mouth....

I'm remembering shooting for my school at Bisley around 1990 (Parker and Hale 7.62mm L85) and believe this type of packaging for protecting high grade ammunition:

For practice we used standard grade ammunition that came in the usual carboard cartons in a light plywood box bound with wire.
For competitions we used (or so we were told) Match grade or, very rarely, Sniper grade. Both always came in these plastic crates (good for holding 2+10 while shooting). The tin usually had a piece of corrugated clear plastic at the very bottom.

Now the bit i'm really uncertain about.... the laquer around the primer (is annulus the right term for this?) denoted the grade
red = standard
purple = Match (the ones in the photo look purple, but difficult to tell)
Dark Green = Sniper.

Jim.

I fear that your memory is letting you down. All ball ammunition has a purple annulus. A red annulus is used for tracer rounds and green is used for armour piercing in British service. (we do not issue AP in 7.62mm except for destroying mines).

There were two grades of 7.62mm available in 1990, RG "Black Spot" which was normal ball and RG "Green Spot" which was the same ammunition but selected for tight tolerances and marked usually as "SNIPER" with of course a large green spot on the packaging. This was exactly the same as the martch ammo issued at Bisley for competition, which I think was sometimes marked as NRA Match.

Although RG had issued some match ammo with uncannelured bullets for use by the NRA in 1983, the first of the true Match rounds were I think the 155 grn. Sierra bulleted round headstamped "RG 01 COMP" from 2001.

Roger (ydnum) will be able to provide a better history on the RG competition ammunition than I.

Regards
TonyE

Green Plastic containers

Hi LCplCombat,
Nice 50-rd containers! The one that really interests me is the one that says 185-gn Lapua. Were the rounds RG made, but with Lapua bullets, or were they entirely Lapua? Do you know if they were given an "L" number at all?

(I've got quite a few of the ones with labels for L2A2 Ball; they are great for keeping .303s and 7.62 Nato rounds!)
R.

7.62mm Nato Packaging

rmarg-jim,
Your memory is not quite as faulty as TonyE thinks, as if you were a cadet you may well have shot at Bisley with ball ammo that had either red, green, or purple annuli! Tony is quite correct that the British annulus code for ball was purple, but the cadets were issued with (by the MoD) ball that was made by DAG, and Raufoss, and both these had a green annulus. The Raufoss was a contract job (I think), and actually had the designation L16A1, and this was on the 20-rd box, but not in the h/s, whilst the DAG was just bought in "off-the-shelf", and so had just the usual German markings on box and h/s.

In 1990, the NRA was selling off some ammo that was in tan 20-rd card boxes, with sealing label marked R.G., and stating it was L2A2 ball. The h/s was (+) RG 90, but the annulus was red! From the style of h/s, I strongly suspect it was made on contract for the MoD by Hirtenberg.

As for the 20-rd boxes generally, there were originally just the ones marked BALL L2A2 with the black disc to indicate ball (hence the expression "Black Spot"), then at some point for the better stuff, they started adding the word SNIPER, then we started to get boxes marked Target Ammn, in green print, with a green disc (hence "Green Spot").

RG started trying to market this commercially as target ammo, in pretty green boxes of various design. Sometimes the "Target Ammn" label was green, and the spot was black!

Then came the 155-grain bulleted ammunition, and some times the boxes were marked "COMP", sometimes "BALL COMP", and sometimes "BISLEY TARGET". Some also had the bullet weight of 155-grns marked on, some didn't. The markings all seemed to vary.

If anyone really wants something on the history of 7.62 target ammo itself, I'll put something in one of the more appropriate sections.

Roger.

Target ammo

OK Roger, I did think of the DAG stuff, but I did not think the cadets were issued with that. I stand corrected and offer my apologies for the heinous aspersions regarding the memory of rmarg-jim!

As I said in my post, you are much more informed than I on the target ammo side of things so I would be pleased to see anything you can out together.

Cheers
TonyE

Hi LCplCombat,
Nice 50-rd containers! The one that really interests me is the one that says 185-gn Lapua. Were the rounds RG made, but with Lapua bullets, or were they entirely Lapua? Do you know if they were given an "L" number at all?

(I've got quite a few of the ones with labels for L2A2 Ball; they are great for keeping .303s and 7.62 Nato rounds!)
R.

I'm afraid I can't help you with the Lapua thing. I just grabbed a load of containers with different markings on them :D

Lapua

I'm afraid I can't help you with the Lapua thing. I just grabbed a load of containers with different markings on them :D

I picked up on that one too Roger.

PL mentions that RG loaded some match rounds in 1973 using "..possibly Finnish" bullets, but these weighed 12.96g (200 grn). The ones in the picture though had a 2001 date. Interesting!

Regards
TonyE

Lapua/"Match Rifle" ammo/containers

Tony,
The stuff loaded by RG in 1973 was, as far as I know, just loaded for the Match Rifle shooters, as the ordinary 144gn RG bullet was not, at that time, up to much at 1000 yds, and certainly no good at 1200 yards. The NRA was considering trying various types of heavier bullet ammo to try and improve things, and I think that eventually they imported Raufoss ammo with 185 grain bullets, which was used for some years before they went over to allowing handloads for MR. This heavy Raufoss came in 20-rd boxes with yellow labels. The 1973 stuff loaded by RG had a black stripe across the case head to identify it.

This Lapua that appears to be of 2001 vintage is obviously something else; I wonder if if came from the factory in these 50-rd containers, or if we re-packed it from the original boxes? Was it normal commercial h/s, or a military type? Anyone have a spare for sale or swap, please....

The green plastic 50-rd containers, were these only used by us, or were they common throughout NATO? I have only ever seen them with British style side labels, but that's not surprising!

Roger.

[...]

This Lapua that appears to be of 2001 vintage is obviously something else; I wonder if if came from the factory in these 50-rd containers, or if we re-packed it from the original boxes? Was it normal commercial h/s, or a military type? Anyone have a spare for sale or swap, please....

The green plastic 50-rd containers, were these only used by us, or were they common throughout NATO? I have only ever seen them with British style side labels, but that's not surprising!

Roger.

Roger,
I'm not sure that I'm helping here but the presence of an ADAC (Army Department Ammunition Code) on the label would suggest to me that the ammunition was qualified for British military use.

Adac

Norman

Is it possible to trace the ADAC back to the Vocabulary (or whatever the correct modern term is) to see what it is listed as?

Regards
TonyE

Norman

Is it possible to trace the ADAC back to the Vocabulary (or whatever the correct modern term is) to see what it is listed as?

Regards
TonyE

Tony, I don't have access to that sort of thing but you can bet that the full designation is as shown on the label. If you are looking for a L number then, although it might have been allocated, I suggest you are not going find it very readily if it is not on this label.