What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eiaz 25

Big Dave

HONOURED MEMBER RIP
Premium Member
Hi just bought this EIAZ 25 B ,can anyone tell me what was the difference between the B and D versions ? Also anyone got a 25 with the Y marking in there collection ,regards Dave

Attachments

• 2008_0719mines0003.JPG
    2008_0719mines0003.JPG
    61.1 KB · Views: 64
  • 2008_0719mines0004.JPG
    2008_0719mines0004.JPG
    64.1 KB · Views: 46
25b

Dave,
Very nice condition. Please read the second introductory post in "Bomb Fuzes"
Regardss,
John aka Bart

Thanks John ,i was supposed to have looked through all the posts in that section ,must be going a little soft boiled with too much holidays regards Dave

Hi just bought this EIAZ 25 B ,can anyone tell me what was the difference between the B and D versions ? Also anyone got a 25 with the Y marking in there collection ,regards Dave

I believe the change in the letters after 25 indicates internal modifications usually a change in a resistor that can either delay or lenghten time it takes to arm the fuze or to fire the fuze.

The (25) B can be used against Sea and Land targets.
Repleaced the (25) A* and the (35)*.

Thats correct guys the difference between the A and the B is internal changes, the (25) series fuzes were generally used for land targets and the 8 series ie (28) were for hardened targets Ie Shipping use .where a delay was required to enter the ships deck before exploding .
See Fuzes a laymans guide sorry i cant work out how to put in a link on here

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys for the info.Does anyone have a 25 with the Y intead of a date in their collection? Ive read these were made to decieve Bomb Disposal crews ,Dave

Dave Does the fuze look longer than the normal (25) series and is it wider at the bottom if not its a normal (25) series fuze the y being batch letter?
A picture would confirm this!

Thanks Allan happy new year ,
Sorry we lost another sapper from 33

Hi Fuzeman ,i havent got a 25 with the Y marking ,i was reading the Bomb/fuze section in The Blitz ,Then and Now ,Vol 1 when i came across a reference to 25s marked with a Y instead of a date that were made as anti-handling fuzes by batteries and could remain armed for a year .I just wondered how rare these were and thought i would get plenty of assistance from members ,regards Dave

Hi Dave
Up to a few weeks ago i would have said that their wasnt a german (25)Y fuze in exsistance, they were all (50)B Y , but i was shown a xray picture of a (25) Y taken sometime in 1940,s Clearly showing the marking (25) Y .
the first y fuze immunised by using liquid oxygen was carried out by Prof John Hudson, he still had the original fuze , which when we looked at it was actually a (50) B y of which i have several in the collection, john was as surprised as i was , it was he who produced the procedures for extracting these battery operated fuzes.
I have never actually seen a real (25) Y only (50)B y ,s

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks again Steve i had never heard of the 25 Y until i read the book ,i was just checking wether id missed something ,regards Dave

Hi guys.
EIAZ 25 Y it's possible. Look there.
Fuzeman you have this book, look there info about Y fuzes.
Alex

Attachments

• Y.JPG
    Y.JPG
    45.7 KB · Views: 49
Hi Alex
Yes i have that book , , nobody in bomb disposal who handled the y fuze either in bombs or instructional courses had seen an actual (25) they are allways no (50)B y , i thinking is that when John hudson first removed this Y fuze he wrote in his original report that it looked like a (25) and from that report it got corrupted into being a (25) instead of (50)B Y .

Hi Steve

They are all 50 B Y but they have many different markings. It can be marking EI.AZ 25 B, EI.Zt.Z 9 A and I thik possible other too. In Russian WWII manual Russians wrote: If you see a letter Y after CPP on the fuze body, don't move a bomb, because it's a anti- disturbance fuze.
Alex

Hi Alex
Ive never heard of a Y fuze with the markings of a airburst type (9) series fuze
The German manual L.Dv4200 only lists the markings for the y fuze as (50)B y

Steve,
I believe there has been a lot of confusion in the past with the letters 'cpp' followed by a 'y' on type 55 and 9 fuxes but am sure the 'y' in these cases are only batch letters?

best

waff

Steve,
I believe there has been a lot of confusion in the past with the letters 'cpp' followed by a 'y' on type 55 and 9 fuxes but am sure the 'y' in these cases are only batch letters?

best

waff

Hi Paul

Hear is the said article that has had a few people confused over the letter y and this is why this one of mine is in the nude:tinysmile_twink_t2: nay mercury switches to be seen.

Best phil

Attachments

• 17A and 55A 004.jpg
    17A and 55A 004.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 39
  • 17A and 55A 005.jpg
    17A and 55A 005.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 29
  • 17A and 55A 006.jpg
    17A and 55A 006.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 32
I could be wrong, but seem to remember reading somewhere that the Y stamp mean't that some modification had been made to the fuze. ie a type 55 with a Y marking would be a modification of a type 55 without the Y marking. Maybe just a minor difference- not sure.

Thought it worth a mention, anyone else heard of this modification theory?

regards
Kev