What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WW1 German Rifle Grenade

Unless somebody finds the factory drawings we will never find out about the drawing number.

If ammo was incomplete or inserviceable at the front they delivered it back to the frontline depot.
I doubt the detonators for these rounds were in the supply chain as standard stock items and could be ordered separately. At best they were reclassified as practice ammunition, converted into dummies (if such were needed at all) or just destroyed (like it would be still done today).

I think your thought about finding such documents or even the drawing number is very ambitious and to my experience unrealistic.
Hallo EOD,
I just read your discussion and your remarks about the drawing number. Even if you have the drawing number, where will you find the list with the specifications for a certain number. I have some Rheinmetall fuze drawings with all the numbers for every single screw, but where can I find a listing of the specifications for each number ?
Greetings,
Bellifortis.

Bellifortis, I agree with you. But the details you are mentioning are further down the road as the initail question was about the exact designation. So having the drawing number may be the only available reference or designation as the item may be designated like "detonator" and the drawing will give the dimensions. Finding the full technical documentation on that item defining which materials and alloys were used is even more difficult.
Hnece my comment that it is extremely unlikely that this info can be found or even survived.

Hallo EOD,
I just read your discussion and your remarks about the drawing number. Even if you have the drawing number, where will you find the list with the specifications for a certain number. I have some Rheinmetall fuze drawings with all the numbers for every single screw, but where can I find a listing of the specifications for each number ?
Greetings,
Bellifortis.

Send them to me if you wish. I might be able to help you. I have a couple of guys in Germany who are helping with patents, drawings, manufacturer's drawing etc. The info is out there it just takes some digging.

Items, such as detonators, were "standard" stock items and could be sourced separately - there are work orders still out there that show items such as these being requested/ordered. The Germans were very proficient in regard to having multiple copies of drawings, work order, manufacturing schematics etc. so a large amount survived both Worl Wars - you just need to know who to talk to and where to look. There is no guarantee that they will be found though. I have been told by a couple of people who work in two different patent offices in Germany that the patents were very basic, the detailed production drawings would be in the hands of the designer, the manufacturer and the factories office. Many of these still survive but you have to go through the manufacturer or the company that took over that company.

As an example - I was told told it was unrealistic to find find the info I was looking for - i.e. the number/designation of various detonators yet I found them through a French source.

Unless somebody finds the factory drawings we will never find out about the drawing number.

If ammo was incomplete or inserviceable at the front they delivered it back to the frontline depot.
I doubt the detonators for these rounds were in the supply chain as standard stock items and could be ordered separately. At best they were reclassified as practice ammunition, converted into dummies (if such were needed at all) or just destroyed (like it would be still done today).

I think your thought about finding such documents or even the drawing number is very ambitious and to my experience unrealistic.

Well - this picture should lay to rest the debate as to whether or not "sprengkapseln/detonators/blasting caps" were assigned numbers/names/designation. It's the top section of a page from a journal for the mining, military and explosives community in Germany show the typical catalog for these items - the product number (stck) is boxed in red. The ones here are electronically detonated.

Detonators 1.jpg

The table above is not validating anything. What you have boxed in red is the numbering of the colums. Do you speak German?

Also you are mixing up detonators which by nature (for demolition work) were made as single supply items and to be used as such.
Detonators for projectile fuzes were never supplied as single supply items as they came with the rounds, hence there was little need for model designations which were used by the troops. Exactly to this my remark applied.