What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WW1 German Rifle Grenade

Millsman

Premium Member
Just picked up this nicely sectioned RG. Also got an unsectioned one at same time both have very nice fuzes.

John

Attachments

• RSCN3252.JPG
    RSCN3252.JPG
    84.3 KB · Views: 141
Nice section John on a beautiful grenade, but I do have a soft spot for German WW1 grenades. Would it be possible to see a picture of the un-sectioned one also?? Dano

Hi Dano

Your wish is my command.... This now makes 5 in my collection so I think I will thin at least one out.

John

Attachments

• SSCN3260.JPG
    SSCN3260.JPG
    59.9 KB · Views: 116
Thank you kindly John, I sure do like the m1914 German rifle grenade and the distancing cup really sets it off...Dano

Both grenades came with original range limiting discs but one was quite corroded so I've taken it off. I have replacements though. Yes I like these too. They are very well made and the fuzes are minor masterpieces of engineering.

John

arghhh i love this ww1 stuff.

thanks for posting these.
very nice rifle grenade and fuze:tinysmile_grin_t:

regards

Hi,

Very nice cut, I like it !
Here is sectioned fuse (inert, of course) :

Stephan

That's a terrific fuze Stephan. Just what mine needs. I'll see if I can work up the courage to get out the hacksaw!

John

That's a terrific fuze Stephan. Just what mine needs. I'll see if I can work up the courage to get out the hacksaw!

John

Hi John,
Thanks for comment, but I don't made it myself.
I never tried to do such work !

:tinysmile_twink_t2:
Stephan

Sorry to revive such an old thread but I'm trying to find out what type of detonator is in the picture - what was it's designation? You know - what did the Germans call it? I know it isn't a Nr.8 but I can't seem to find info on it anywhere.

lot005cjt1a.jpg

When it is a detonator that was used only with fuzes (and it looks much like) there likely is no particular designation, just a drawing number as with any other item.

What would the "drawing number" be? Anyway to find out?

It looks similar to the detonator used in the Wurfgranate 14 & 15 and I'm trying to find out what kind it is so I can hunt down an inert original or a repro. I know they had some sort of designation but can't find it. I have an original, water proof, container they were stored in withing the Wr.G. transport box - the remains of a label is on it but the number's are not readable - I guess they could just be the date.

They look like the Nr.8 but about half the length.

They came 10 per box. The last pic shows one of them with the detonators still in it, found on a dig on the Western Front, but the label is gone on this one as well.

Hypothetically - let's say Johann opens a case of Wr.G.14 and sees that the tin box of detonators are missing...if he called the depot asking for more how would he order it? I know some of the stick grenades used the Nr.4 and Nr.8 Igniters (detonators) so it seems other detonators would have designation as well. Would this designation be the "drawing number"?

P5230049.jpg

133004489_2aae679633_o.jpg

Unless somebody finds the factory drawings we will never find out about the drawing number.

If ammo was incomplete or inserviceable at the front they delivered it back to the frontline depot.
I doubt the detonators for these rounds were in the supply chain as standard stock items and could be ordered separately. At best they were reclassified as practice ammunition, converted into dummies (if such were needed at all) or just destroyed (like it would be still done today).

I think your thought about finding such documents or even the drawing number is very ambitious and to my experience unrealistic.

Last edited:
Unless somebody finds the factory drawings we will never find out about the drawing number.

I think yout thought about finding such documents or even the drawing number is very ambitious and to my experience unrealistic.

Hmmm...we'll just have to see - I have the Reichspatent numbers for all the main versions of the Wurfgranaten - they might be listed in those. The German Patent office in Hamburg is digging them out for me and I hope to have them next week. They have already sent me the patents in regard to the Gr.W. 14, 15, and 16 as well as the ground-plate and battle plate. I just find it hard to believe the Germans would not have them cataloged in some fashion like those used in the hand thrown grenades. Like I said - there is a number on the storage box I have it's just too hard to read. You can barely read the letters of some of the wording and "Nr." is there.

To my experience with Patents (have 3000-4000) never a production drawing number was used as patents are meant to explain a design. That is the reason why patents often resemble a well known item but almost allways with flaws.
Not to mention that one and the same ammo item can be made of many components with different drawing numbers as improvements are continuously ongoing and parts and components of an item are often improved. Means there can be one projectile or fuze and with about 10 different detonators (as per the drawing numbers).

Also a drawing number on German ordnance is something unobserved. If your box has a Number on then it is a lot-number or a serial number (common those days).

Quote by Correus: `... there is a number on the storage box I have it's just too hard to read...' Have you tried looking at the markings under different lighting conditions, such as UV for example? Might be worth a try.

If ammo was incomplete or inserviceable at the front they delivered it back to the frontline depot.
I doubt the detonators for these rounds were in the supply chain as standard stock items and could be ordered separately. At best they were reclassified as practice ammunition, converted into dummies (if such were needed at all) or just destroyed (like it would be still done today).

I think your thought about finding such documents or even the drawing number is very ambitious and to my experience unrealistic.

Please see my last posts located here: http://www.wk2ammo.com/showthread.p...anate-15-and-Wurfgranate-16&p=38045#post38045