What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Karinga

proditto

Interesting sub munition for an Australian dispenser. I cannot find any live ordnance in service by the Australian airforce. Any one any info?

Attachments

• Karinga.jpg
    Karinga.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 93
I've got a couple, plus some photos of some with the original markings which I took while with AU AF EOD near Sydney. I've also got a photo someplace of the dispenser. AU EOD had no data on it, it apparently it never saw much, if any service. There used to be one page on it in the general ID books in the US EOD pubs, but just appearance and measurements. I believe yours is a repaint.

Here are mine, if I can find the time tonight I'll see if I can find the other photos.

Attachments

• DSC_0183.jpg
    DSC_0183.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 85
Here is some of the stuff from down under. This is original markings for the inert fill, live was in a sort of off-red/maroon, same markings and band width, instead of inert, marked RDX.

Attachments

• D-O-SUB-MSC-002.jpg
    D-O-SUB-MSC-002.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 83
  • D-O-DISP-095.jpg
    D-O-DISP-095.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 79
  • D-O-DISP-096.jpg
    D-O-DISP-096.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 67
Don't start on me Pete! I've got to go back to work tomorrow, after 5 weeks off - you don't want to face that in the morning....

I hear the place has been falling apart, i'll be up bright and early to steal all your new information!!

I'm just glad somebody is still interested in the munitions side of the house.

I'am Happy to see that some one is getting up bright and early here :tinysmile_hmm_t:
And it will be cold :xd:

When i say bright and early, lets keep this in prespective......around 09:00ish.......

Karinga markings

US Subs I dont think this is a repaint as it came from an 'official' source some long time ago. It has on the reverse side an additional color marking applied later for FFE.

These were used by the Airforce as a training munition in the 1970's. They never got past development and were never completely introduced or operational. Some were used for trials in the 1970/s because they produced an exceptionally tight and controlled pattern when dropped. I have some photos of them in the wild before being disposed of. These were developmental ones that have some different bodies. They were armed with a sleeve/plug that was withdrawn by air turbulance when dispenced. The arming window indicated whether they were armed or not. Also one showing the plug.

Attachments

• Karinga montage.jpg
    Karinga montage.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 77
  • Bomblet Karinga.jpg
    Bomblet Karinga.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 70
Nice pictures, thanks. Got any paperwork on them?

Nice pictures, thanks. Got any paperwork on them?
G'Day All!!
I have found a little bit of information mainly from the late 70's and some from the early 80's too much to scan and attach, but if you want more information feel free to pm me and I'll give you as much as I can. :)