What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ID needed for 7.63x25 mm

adammack

Hi, this is my first post to the forum and I am sure you can help me.

I have an inert, primer struck 7.63x25mm mauser round and am curious as to its date and place of manufacture.

The headstamp reads from 12 o'clock L-R, (K * B *).

Many thanks for you help.

7.63mm

Yes, Kynoch, Birmingham.

It is difficult to date exactly, but it is a commercial round from before the First World War. Whilst it probably is a 7.63mm Mauser round, it could easily be a 7.63mm Borchardt instead, as there is no reliable way of telling them apart once out of the box.

Is it a FMJ or a softpoint bullet? How is the bullet secured in the case, pin
stabs?

Regards
TonyE

7.63 m/m x 25

Reading your post and supplying an answer earlier on (In agreement with Tony E!), made me think that I have the same round somewhere. I looked it out tonight and it is the same bullet type with a round soft nose held in place with the same three dot crimps. The headstamp differs though in that mine is "DWM K 403 K" which fingerprints it definetly as a 7.63 m/m x 25 for the C/96 pistol. So the elusive Borchardt cartridge hunt continues for me too!

Good to hear from a fellow Glaswegian collector as well!

Bockscar.

Bockscar,

Where you at the USAF Museum in Dayton, Ohio. The reason why I ask is because Bockscar is preserved there. Right around this year or next, the Memphis Belle will be back to normal flying status once it is out of the hangar. Great times to be down their.

V/40,

Sadly never seen my avatar in the flesh....Seen plenty of pictures of her in the museum though - maybe one day I shall make it over and see the real deal!

Bockscar.