What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sd2b the cutdown that could have worked?

satan18

Hear is one of a pair of cutdown drouges that looked like they might have
done the job.

This one now stands alone as the other is now with a good mate,but still good in the spring dept,and only needed repainting.

Attachments

• butty fest 001.jpg
    butty fest 001.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 52
  • SD2B 003.jpg
    SD2B 003.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 59
  • SD2B 004.jpg
    SD2B 004.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
Sd2b the cutdown that could have worked?
Hear is one of a pair of cutdown drouges that looked like they might have
done the job.

This one now stands alone as the other is now with a good mate,but still good in the spring dept,and only needed repainting.

Hi Phil,
This design of cut-down wing was used in North Africa. Almost certain it was also used in Russia, still looking for recorded evidence to confirm this. This type of cut-down wing was used in the AB250 drop containers, the containers were marked SD2 zt as the fuzes were set at zeit (airburst)

Nice job on the wings, well done.

regards
Kev

Hi Phil,
This design of cut-down wing was used in North Africa. Almost certain it was also used in Russia, still looking for recorded evidence to confirm this. This type of cut-down wing was used in the AB250 drop containers, the containers were marked SD2 zt as the fuzes were set at zeit (airburst)

Nice job on the wings, well done.

regards
Kev

Cheers Kev
I would assume by cutting them in the way they were that it would assist
for space saving whilst in the cannister?

Best phil

Im wondering as to why cutting them down could assist in any way apart from saving a little weight and space ?

Cheers Kev
I would assume by cutting them in the way they were that it would assist
for space saving whilst in the cannister?

Best phil

It would save space and weight but probably more important steel. At the time Germany was fighting on all fronts, the tide of war had turned and material was an asset. Also with less wing area there would be less drag and also less spread of sub-munition from cannister. So it would have greater effect on whoever it was dropped on. I certainly wouldn't have wanted to be on the receiving end of a cannister of 144 of those bursting overhead.
On the first day of the invasion of Russia (Barbarossa) the SD2 was very effective against aircraft on the ground, so a cannister of this type could put aircraft out of action quite effectively without the need of being so accurate.
One thing that I haven't been able to pin down as yet, is exactly how the wings were prevented from opening whilst being loaded into the cannisters. An armourers nightmare I would have thought. As you and I know the springs are quite strong, so would have needed to be held back somehow. I have seen pics of fully loaded cannisters with wooden inserts in place, but how the AB250's were loaded I still have no idea. ??

regards
Kev

Hi Chaps those drouges did work and were found in north Africa in 1944 thats the only account i could find for them, or where they were used.

Hi Chaps those drouges did work and were found in north Africa in 1944 thats the only account i could find for them, or where they were used.

Thanks Steve they looked a more practical version unlike those ones that look the size of postage stamps.

Best phil

Hi Phil
Thats correct the Larger drouges would and Did work and was actually dropped wher as the smaller ones were trialled , but as far as i know were never used operationally.

I would have thought that the small wings were so that they fell faster, so that they could be aimed/dropped by an aircraft more accurately onto a US bomber/s. If they used the original large wing SD2's, by the time the bomb had dropped to the same altitude, the bombers would have been long gone!

I would have thought that the small wings were so that they fell faster, so that they could be aimed/dropped by an aircraft more accurately onto a US bomber/s. If they used the original large wing SD2's, by the time the bomb had dropped to the same altitude, the bombers would have been long gone!

You are right that the smaller wings would fall more quickly and would need to do so as you already mentioned. However, the small wing was too small to arm the fuze correctly. My guess is, as you have pointed out, to make the wings bigger would result in drag and in turn result in the bomb missing the intended target. I don't think the small wings ever got past the experimental stage for this reason.

regards
Kev

They're odd things those cut down wings, nobody seems that keen on them but has then in their collections for completeness - you'd have thought they'd be well rare considering they were experimental.............just thinking out loud here.
Dave.

The last comment refers to the potage stamp sized wings, not the lovely set that Phil has managed to find - still looking for a set of them:tinysmile_cry_t:
Dave.

Hi Dave
A few years back at Beltring a dealer had a about 100 of them they were mostly rusted together , i wish i had taken a picture of them it was a rare sight to see they had all be uncovered recently from a factory.

They're odd things those cut down wings, nobody seems that keen on them but has then in their collections for completeness - you'd have thought they'd be well rare considering they were experimental.............just thinking out loud here.
Dave.

Hi Dave
As steve said they were all very rusty and i havnt seen a decent set
that survived all that well.
Theres a lot with yellow paint remaining but they are all stuck fast.

Is this the set that you are refering to,as i might be able to help you:wink:

Attachments

• Beltring resto 023.jpg
    Beltring resto 023.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 24
Hi Phil
Yes thats the type that i saw at Beltring a few years back , you managed to unstick them? , the daft thing was i could have had the lot for under 30 if i had haggled oh well that,s life.