What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Airgun darts and pellets

spotter

UBIQUE
Staff member
Premium Member
Not military but a small selection of different airgun darts and pellets,

Attachments

• P1000126.jpg
    P1000126.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 87
You could go on for ever with those things, so many different types have been made thats another collection in itself. There used to be a sabot pellet many years ago that you had to assemble your self before loading i remember having a box of those to shoot, can't say they were that accurate though.
Best Weasel.

Well Allan takes me back to my youth in the garden with the Gat 10, never dared used the darts in the air rifle might ruin the rifling ,oh happy days

Weasel
I still fire the .22 SABOT`s from sussex armoury as was.
Use them for hunting very successfully.
At 100 feet they go clean through 1 inch marine ply & are accurate 9or they are in my rifle).

i think the green and black one in the photo are sabot

Attachments

• P1000156.jpg
    P1000156.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 24
  • P1000157.jpg
    P1000157.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 16
  • P1000160.jpg
    P1000160.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Ah right with you now I usually class those as Prometheus pellets.
With people saying .22 sabot pellets was thinking there was something I hadn't seen before had an image of a small pellet with a plastic sabot wraped round it that came away from the pellet when fired

From bazooka chris

i remember there was an air gun pellet called the SABOT.
it was like a tiny boat tailed round and you had to put it inside the little sabot and then use a small pen like tool to close the sabot around the pellet and it was also handy for getting it into the barrel without the sabot pinging open and droping the pellet.
It was a very fiddly operation. i only ever bought one box before the novilty wore of.
cheers, paul.

Ah right with you now I usually class those as Prometheus pellets.
With people saying .22 sabot pellets was thinking there was something I hadn't seen before had an image of a small pellet with a plastic sabot wraped round it that came away from the pellet when fired

From bazooka chris

thats only what i think they are chris i could as usual be wrong,,ive never seen part plastic pellets before so just assumed thats what they were.

heres an original ad from a Guns Reviw magazine from 1981 for PROMETHIUS PELLETS. if i remember right, the plastic part of the pellet stayed on the round throughout its flight.
paul.

Attachments

• prometheus pellets.jpg
    prometheus pellets.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 30
this is no good ,im now wanting to go and get an air rifle to try these in

Hi Paul,
Yes those are the ones i remember, a small copper coloured boat tailed bullet with a black plastic sabot that wrapped around it with the help of that little pen like device you mentioned. I must have one left in a box of bits i will try and find it and take a pic unless some one gets there first.
Hicky the Prometheus pellets were very good as you mention but did leave a bit of plastic in the bore or a least the early ones did. Oh happy memories may have to dig out the old airgun again.
Best Weasel.

Glad I got the Id right and yes you can still buy Prometheus type pellets now there's a couple of different manufactures doing there version These days.
When I have fired them in the past in the range they seem to leave little slithers of plastic on the range floor that's come out the barrel when fired probably due to the rifling and yes the plastic part stays on the pellet when fired.

From bazooka chris

Great thread!!

You know,im sure that were was talk of a ban on these Prometheus slugs back in the 90's??Gonna have to dig out all the old magazines now to back that theory!!!....or am i getting mixed up with them making your gun over 12ft/lbs...
Been a long while since i played with the old air rifle.

best

waff

I will post some pics of the proper SABOT`s & the prometheus shown tonight.
The Real Sabot is as already stated a 2 piece round with a coppered alloy core & a black plastic jacket.
The prometheus is a one piece round of a metal core in a plastic body as already shown.
There was talk of these being banned as the core seperates & carries on travelleing when fired into certain materials at certain velocities.
As siad hope to show pics

Thanks hicky luck forward to seeing pics of the proper sabots as can't remember ever seeing them only ever seen the other pellet types we were on about above cheers

From bazooka chris

Sabo Air Gun pellets/rounds! As promised

Hi all
To those of you following the thread started by Spotter here are pics of the Sabo .22 Round (I think pellet does it an injustice) as promised.
As you can see it has a true Sabot sleeve that imparts the spin to the core but seperates cleanly from the projectile once it is clear of the barrel.
This leaves the proj to fly on a flatter trajectory maintaining spin & without the drag factor of the rifling grooves.
Another factor with this round not usualy considered is the old argument of an all round caliber for fur & feathers when airgun shooting/hunting.
In th UK - at least - it has always been considered as .177 for feathers & .22 for fur.
Our American cousins ( I believe) came up with .20 as an alrounder.
Never really caught on over here. Not measured the dia of the core (yet!!) but it is obviously less then .22!! This may account for why I use this ammo for both types of critter.
The pen thing is for assmbly & loading - it has a bore with a plunger. I load up my Falcon 8 shot mags with this.
The other round is a .177 Prometheus - can`t find my .22`s!! This is a one piece round.
Down to my last 300 rounds unfortunately & no sign of a restock as Sussex Ballistics went bust/taken over. I love this ammo:tinysmile_tongue_t:
If you haven`t already read Spotters thread - I think it is valid in this circle.

Attachments

• DCP02017.JPG
    DCP02017.JPG
    48.1 KB · Views: 36
  • DCP02024.JPG
    DCP02024.JPG
    63.8 KB · Views: 34
  • DCP02030.JPG
    DCP02030.JPG
    72 KB · Views: 32
Nice One hicky, Thanks for taking the time to dig those out and photograph them, yes thats them alright i remember no good for tap loaders or sliding breach like the HW77 though.
Best Weasel.