What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cannon ball with british markings

32 PDR

I had a cannon ball that was still in its crustation which was nice but it starting to rust quite a bit so I decided to break the crustation off...low and behold once I did this and cleaned it I found a British Broad Arrow!!!! The cannon ball was found in the Delaware river...it is a revolutionary ball...
I have taken pictures of it in its crustation up until its been cleaned showing the Broad Arrow. I should have mentioned it is a 6 pounder.

Attachments

• BRIT SHIP 013.jpg
    BRIT SHIP 013.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 46
  • BRIT SHIP 023.jpg
    BRIT SHIP 023.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 40
  • BRIT SHIP 024.jpg
    BRIT SHIP 024.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 44
  • BRIT SHIP 025.jpg
    BRIT SHIP 025.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 46
Better pics

Here are better pics of the Broad Arrow as well as the pieces of crustation that were broken off.

Attachments

• BRIT SHIP.jpg
    BRIT SHIP.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 24
  • BRIT SHIP 027.jpg
    BRIT SHIP 027.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 26
  • BRIT SHIP 028.jpg
    BRIT SHIP 028.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 20
  • BRIT SHIP 029.jpg
    BRIT SHIP 029.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 19
32 Pounder;

Real nice specimen but if it came out of water it will soon crack and split. I needs a year in an electrolysis bath.
Regards,
John aka Bart

I have many balls out of fresh water and havent had them split...is this common for all balls out of fresh water...some I have owned for 8 years now with no problems.