What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A QUESTION FOR TONYE Re SECTION 5

smle2009

Hi TonyE,
I noticed earlier today on a post,that for the life of me I can not find now!, that you stated that BIV .303" ammunition was classed as section 5 even if inert,I have seen the same regarding A/P ammo, by inert do you mean the normal way of inerting ammo ie powder(in general not just meaning black powder) removed and cap struck/oiled and then put back together or does this include inerting the bullet/projectile by means of removing the incendiary compound or AP core?
I ask because many dealers are offering these as legal to purchase/own if they have been inerted this way

Kind regards
Tony
P.S how is your book coming along?

Section 5

If the bullet has been inerted by removing the core, whether it be an AP core or an incendiary filling, then it is OK.

However, until recently, most inerted AP and incendiary rounds simply had the powder removed and the primer killed and left the core in place.

I would be interested to know how people inert some of these rounds without destroying the bullet. For example, a phophorus filled Buckingham would need to be drilled out under water, as otherwise the phosphorus would ignite on first contact with the air. An API round that has the incendiary composition in the nose in front of a hardened AP core is another example of a difficult one. Perhaps they just saw the bullet jacket off below case level and remove the core that way. I for one would not want something like that in my collection.

Regards
TonyE

Many thanks TonyE,
Got a bit worried about the "even if inert" thing,I havn't seen Buckingham's or API on offer,I should imagin that they are scarce enought not to be offered for general sale,but only to the trade where collectors such as yourself would buy from.
Cheers
Tony