What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Good day out

US-Subs

ORDNANCE APPROVED/Premium Member
Ordnance approved
Premium Member
Had a meeting of the minds (?) with Peteblight and Madbomber today at the Munitions Technology Museum in Landhorst, NL (see first picture). After spending some quality time with Joop Dijkman, the owner/curator we linked up with Fjordhouse. After swapping stories, taking photos and trading documents we met up with Fjordhouse to shoot some photos of some of his newer items and then moved on to look over his full collection which is located at the Liberty Park Museum, Overloon (2nd and 3rd photos). About half is on display, the rest is in storage and only available for viewing with an exclusive private (and highly appreciated) tour.

For those who have not had the opportunity, this is an excellent, modern museum that displays a large portion of Ben's collection in an manner seldom, if ever given for explosive ordnance. The general public passes by with their mouths hanging open, but it is only the serious collectors that will recognise the rarity of this collection and the value in being able to see so many rare items in one location.

Plans are for an expansion of the museum in the near future, which in part will reportedly double the display area of the collection. A must see event.

Attachments

• DSC_3500.jpg
    DSC_3500.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 147
  • DSC_3588.jpg
    DSC_3588.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 140
  • DSC_3587.jpg
    DSC_3587.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 138
i got shown around landhorst a couple of years ago..not much to say other than the place is unbelievable.

How were the ...

Guys,

How were the grenades their, were ththere allot? By the way those pictures are gold. Good Job!

Mark

WOW!!! as the jaw hangs agape.... Thanks for the photos must add this museum to the list of "if I ever get out of the house" places to visit.:tinysmile_fatgrin_t

Guys,

How were the grenades their, were ththere allot? By the way those pictures are gold. Good Job!

Mark

At Liberty Park there is an exceptional collection of WWII grenades, primarily German, but with some Allied pieces as well. The German rifle and pistol grenades are particularly fine examples. In many ways there is simply too much to take in. I've viewed the main exhibit three times, I am still seeing new pieces for the first time on each visit.

At MTM there are a number of fine WWII pieces, but much of the focus is on more modern items, with a significant collection of former Yugoslav, Russian and Gulf War items. I have been visiting ordnance collections and museums for over 30 years in my visits to over 100 countries, in my experience MTM is the largest private collection of inert ordnance in the world. The single photo is of the bomb room, there are two other identical sixze buildings also used for display of the smaller items.

Joop is particularly proud of his mines and boobytraps, last I heard it was well over 300 different models of landmines. Anyone that has looked at Janes Mines or EOD books has seen many photos from the MTM collection. I've attached a few more general photos of MTM for those who are interested.

Attachments

• DSC_0459.jpg
    DSC_0459.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 115
  • DSC_0461.jpg
    DSC_0461.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 111
  • DSC_0463.jpg
    DSC_0463.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 111
  • DSC_0465.jpg
    DSC_0465.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 104
You beat me to it Jeff!

I have to agree it's everything Jeff says and more, we spent a great day at both locations, which was made all the better by having time to discuss the different items of ordnance on display, as well as taking loads of great pictures.

If anyone is looking for an interesting day out, then the Museum at Overloon and MTM should be high on their list.

www.libertypark.nl/index.php?t=en

Thanks for posting the photos guys, you lucky people!!!!!!!!!

Any chance you can put some more photos on BOCN of the collection, it looks absolutely fantastic. Some close ups of the shells would be great.

Thanks.

Dave.

heres a few i took,sorry but not good quality

Attachments

• holland2007DSC00026.jpg
    holland2007DSC00026.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 54
  • holland2007DSC00032.jpg
    holland2007DSC00032.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 48
  • holland2007DSC00033.jpg
    holland2007DSC00033.jpg