Welcome to the Inert Ordnance Collectors.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good day out

ORDNANCE APPROVED/Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,609 Times in 1,002 Posts

Good day out

Had a meeting of the minds (?) with Peteblight and Madbomber today at the Munitions Technology Museum in Landhorst, NL (see first picture). After spending some quality time with Joop Dijkman, the owner/curator we linked up with Fjordhouse. After swapping stories, taking photos and trading documents we met up with Fjordhouse to shoot some photos of some of his newer items and then moved on to look over his full collection which is located at the Liberty Park Museum, Overloon (2nd and 3rd photos). About half is on display, the rest is in storage and only available for viewing with an exclusive private (and highly appreciated) tour.

For those who have not had the opportunity, this is an excellent, modern museum that displays a large portion of Ben's collection in an manner seldom, if ever given for explosive ordnance. The general public passes by with their mouths hanging open, but it is only the serious collectors that will recognise the rarity of this collection and the value in being able to see so many rare items in one location.

Plans are for an expansion of the museum in the near future, which in part will reportedly double the display area of the collection. A must see event.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    All dug or live ordnance shown in my posts is under EOD control and has been or will be dealt with accordingly by EOD personnel

UBIQUE
    Images
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,955 Times in 693 Posts
    i got shown around landhorst a couple of years ago..not much to say other than the place is unbelievable.

Any Live or Dug ordnance shown by me has been disposed of by military EOD personnel .

BOCN HELPING TO PROMOTE SAFE RESPONSIBLE ORDNANCE COLLECTING

HONOURED MEMBER RIP
    Images
    Thanks
    Awesome!!!!!

regards
    Kev

HONOURED MEMBER RIP
    Images
    Thanks
    Its always nice to meet up and it whas a very good day.
    Regards Madbomber

All Items of Live Ordnance posted by me have been disposed of by EOD.

Super Moderator
    Images
    Thanks
    Yes it was a nice day, to short of time to much to talk about, BJ

Images
    Thanks

How were the ...

Guys,

How were the grenades their, were ththere allot? By the way those pictures are gold. Good Job!

Mark

Images
    Thanks
    WOW!!! as the jaw hangs agape.... Thanks for the photos must add this museum to the list of "if I ever get out of the house" places to visit.

ORDNANCE APPROVED/Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,609 Times in 1,002 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by V40 View Post
    Guys,

How were the grenades their, were ththere allot? By the way those pictures are gold. Good Job!

Mark
    At Liberty Park there is an exceptional collection of WWII grenades, primarily German, but with some Allied pieces as well. The German rifle and pistol grenades are particularly fine examples. In many ways there is simply too much to take in. I've viewed the main exhibit three times, I am still seeing new pieces for the first time on each visit.

At MTM there are a number of fine WWII pieces, but much of the focus is on more modern items, with a significant collection of former Yugoslav, Russian and Gulf War items. I have been visiting ordnance collections and museums for over 30 years in my visits to over 100 countries, in my experience MTM is the largest private collection of inert ordnance in the world. The single photo is of the bomb room, there are two other identical sixze buildings also used for display of the smaller items.

Joop is particularly proud of his mines and boobytraps, last I heard it was well over 300 different models of landmines. Anyone that has looked at Janes Mines or EOD books has seen many photos from the MTM collection. I've attached a few more general photos of MTM for those who are interested.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    All dug or live ordnance shown in my posts is under EOD control and has been or will be dealt with accordingly by EOD personnel

Ordnance Approved
    Thanks
    You beat me to it Jeff!

I have to agree it's everything Jeff says and more, we spent a great day at both locations, which was made all the better by having time to discuss the different items of ordnance on display, as well as taking loads of great pictures.

If anyone is looking for an interesting day out, then the Museum at Overloon and MTM should be high on their list.

www.libertypark.nl/index.php?t=en
    ANY LIVE OR DUD ORDNANCE POSTED BY ME HAS BEEN DISPOSED OF BY EOD PERSONNEL

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,480 Times in 644 Posts
    Thanks for posting the photos guys, you lucky people!!!!!!!!!

Any chance you can put some more photos on BOCN of the collection, it looks absolutely fantastic. Some close ups of the shells would be great.

Thanks.

Dave.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast