What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

41 & 41A fuzes for butterfly bomb

butterfly

HONOURED MEMBER RIP
Here is a selection of photos of the type 41 fuze.

This fuze was used for airburst (setting Zeit) or impact (setting Az)

Shown are different methods of fuze construction.

First an example of 2-piece construction

HPIM5022.jpg HPIM5020.jpg

Also 3-piece construction

HPIM5023.jpg HPIM5019.jpg
Example of cutaway fuze

HPIM5031.jpg

Here is a selection of type 41A fuze , again used in the butterfly bomb.

The operation of the 41A was the same as that of the 41, however there was slight modification in the fuze design. The detent construction was altered and a stronger spring added- making the fuze less sensative. Also the fuze used a bayonet type fitting for insertion into the bomb body, rather than the screw thread of the type 41. The 41A was a later design and was also the fuze used with the cut-down wings.

Again shown are different construction methods

First a 2-part construction

This fuze is intresting as when I removed the cover this had no detent, it had never been fitted!! This can only mean it was used as airburst only. The larger drop containers (AB250-2 and AB250-3) dropped only bombs with the cut-down type wings. Markings on the containers were SD2 zt indicating airburst (zt = Zeit). Therefore I assume this fuze was destined to be used in such a container with cut-down wings!!.

I would be intrested to know if anyone else has found a fuze of this type with the detent and detent plate not fitted?

HPIM5026.jpg HPIM5025.jpg

Next 3-part construction

HPIM5027.jpg HPIM5024.jpg

Example of a 41A cutaway
HPIM5028.jpg

Thank you for your intrest
regards
Kev

A few pics of a 67 fuze

Here also are some photos of a 67 clockwork fuze used in the butterfly bomb. The clockwork delay could be set for up to 30 minutes, factory set, these were marked on the side of the body with delay times of 5, 10, 15, 20, 25 or 30 minutes. This example has a 10 minute time delay.

HPIM4982.jpgHPIM4983.jpgHPIM4980.jpg

(all fuzes shown are totally inert)

Great series of pics and smashing write-ups!
Well done Kev. :) :top:
Thats a cracking 67,where did you conjure that beauty up from? :p

best

waff

Great series of pics and smashing write-ups!
Well done Kev. :) :top:
Thats a cracking 67,where did you conjure that beauty up from? :p

best

waff

Cheers waff,

Thought the variations may be of intrest.

The 67 came courtesy of a recent deal with Dave (SG500) . It was one of the ones in a recent thread he did. Had never seen the type with the dummy fuze setting before this, only reference in documents, which I dismissed as being incorrectly drawn. (shows how wrong you can be!!)
The clockwork mechanism is identical to that in the 'later' 67 fuzes, it would appear that it is only the outer casing and construction (ie three screws and not four securing the body) that differs.
Will leave this one 'as is' in its original aged condition. Much like the collectors of shell-casings will leave the patina on the brasswork.

Still on the lookout for a type 70B to complete 'the set', it is the type that continually eludes me, despite my best efforts!!! Oh well, thats collecting for you!!!! lol. (sure one will turn up sometime in the future, heres hoping anyhow)

regards
Kev

Some nice sections there Kev, I really must give it a go one day but am a bit nervous about the first cut!!
What are you going to section next - an M 129 perhaps?
Dave.

Some nice sections there Kev, I really must give it a go one day but am a bit nervous about the first cut!!
What are you going to section next - an M 129 perhaps?
Dave.

Now don't you go putting ideas into my head Dave!!!

Yes an American M129 would make a good candidate for a section to compare with the German type. However as I only have the one in my collection at present, I won't be doing any cutting!!

I have removed the screws in the M129 I have, and it is remarkably like that of the type 41 fuze inside. The differences are more to do with 'imperial' and 'metric' measurements as far as I can see. However the most obvious difference is the left-hand thread to the American fuzes, leads one to think this was done so that the fuzes didn't unscrew themselves when dropped. However, I have never seen anything written to suggest that the German SD2's with the 41 threaded fuze ever unscrewed during descent. So maybe the thread pattern was used on other fuzing in American ordnance and it was more 'standard practice' ??
The American variations are all new to me, so still learning!

regards
Kev

Great write up Kev.. very informative. i have a 41A, and a 67B on the way from Germany, along with a RHS 17 fuze. (it was only a matter of time) will post pics when they arrive. :bigsmile:

Great write up Kev.. very informative. i have a 41A, and a 67B on the way from Germany, along with a RHS 17 fuze. (it was only a matter of time) will post pics when they arrive. :bigsmile:

Many thanks Scott,

Look forward to seeing the pictures when you get those fuzes!! Well done in securing those, a fine set indeed!!!!

regards
Kev