What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Plymouth Cannons

18pounder

Found these images whilst scanning through my photo's.

Hope you can read the plaque.

They have rope damage caused by them being used to moor boats/ships to. They were rescued and put on display along the coastal wall.
Hope you like them.

Attachments

• Cornwall Holiday 005.jpg
    Cornwall Holiday 005.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 42
  • Cornwall Holiday 007.jpg
    Cornwall Holiday 007.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 42
  • Cornwall Holiday 006.jpg
    Cornwall Holiday 006.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 36
Nice

Nice pics doug,heres one down the road in Dartmouth,not English though? If i remember. Weasel will Know.Tig

Nice pics doug,heres one down the road in Dartmouth,not English though? If i remember. Weasel will Know.Tig

Hello Tig
long time no hear,hope your well.
nice cannon,missed that one!
its very handy ,especially with that beautifull tow bar!

Hi

Yes Doug its nice,unfortunately some git had secured it to the floor otherwise it would look nice in rural Dorset! Something to do with the locals probably trying to chuck it in the harbour. Nice job on the french grenade by the way. I dont get much net time at the mo as im a bit snowed under.So if you dont hear from me for a week or 2 send out a search party! Best wishes Tig.:tinysmile_classes_t

Nice pics 18 pounder, yes i have seen these two in Plymouth, Tig the one on the front in Dartmouth is a captured gun from the Crimean war as far as i remember. I will check latter in the week when i am next there.
Best Weasel.

Dartmouth.

Cheers Andy,wish i was in Dartmouth,lovely place!Cheers for the E Mail pics mate ,Tig.

OK, I'll bite. In reference to the sign in the photos, just what is "tomb-stoning"??

OK, I'll bite. In reference to the sign in the photos, just what is "tomb-stoning"??

It refers to a practice, popular with some teenagers (but also with some older folks who have partaken of a few beers to the extent of considering themselves invincible), of jumping off cliffs or harbour (or harbor for with those without a Queen) walls into the sea below. As the adopted falling pose is often a rigid, vertical one, the term tomb-stoning has been coined. However, as an all-too-common consequence is a broken neck or back, due to hidden rocks in the water, the term is appropriate in other ways.

Tom.

It refers to a practice, popular with some teenagers (but also with some older folks who have partaken of a few beers to the extent of considering themselves invincible), of jumping off cliffs or harbour (or harbor for with those without a Queen) walls into the sea below. As the adopted falling pose is often a rigid, vertical one, the term tomb-stoning has been coined. However, as an all-too-common consequence is a broken neck or back, due to hidden rocks in the water, the term is appropriate in other ways.

Tom.

you spoil sport!! was trying to do a wind up!! doh lol:wink: