Welcome to the Inert Ordnance Collectors.
    18pounder

Plymouth Cannons

Found these images whilst scanning through my photo's.

Hope you can read the plaque.

They have rope damage caused by them being used to moor boats/ships to. They were rescued and put on display along the coastal wall.
    Hope you like them.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Premium Member
    Images
    Thanks

Nice

Nice pics doug,heres one down the road in Dartmouth,not English though? If i remember. Weasel will Know.Tig
    Attached Images Attached Images

18pounder
    Quote Originally Posted by tigbrand View Post
    Nice pics doug,heres one down the road in Dartmouth,not English though? If i remember. Weasel will Know.Tig
    Hello Tig
    long time no hear,hope your well.
    nice cannon,missed that one!
    its very handy ,especially with that beautifull tow bar!

Premium Member
    Images
    Thanks

Hi

Yes Doug its nice,unfortunately some git had secured it to the floor otherwise it would look nice in rural Dorset! Something to do with the locals probably trying to chuck it in the harbour. Nice job on the french grenade by the way. I dont get much net time at the mo as im a bit snowed under.So if you dont hear from me for a week or 2 send out a search party! Best wishes Tig.

Images
    Thanks
    Nice pics 18 pounder, yes i have seen these two in Plymouth, Tig the one on the front in Dartmouth is a captured gun from the Crimean war as far as i remember. I will check latter in the week when i am next there.
    Best Weasel.
    Please use the SEARCH function

BOCN HELPING TO PROMOTE SAFE RESPONSIBLE ORDNANCE COLLECTING

Premium Member
    Images
    Thanks

Dartmouth.

Cheers Andy,wish i was in Dartmouth,lovely place!Cheers for the E Mail pics mate ,Tig.

ORDNANCE APPROVED/Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,647 Times in 1,016 Posts
    OK, I'll bite. In reference to the sign in the photos, just what is "tomb-stoning"??
    All dug or live ordnance shown in my posts is under EOD control and has been or will be dealt with accordingly by EOD personnel

18pounder
    Quote Originally Posted by US-Subs View Post
    OK, I'll bite. In reference to the sign in the photos, just what is "tomb-stoning"??
    it means no burials

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by US-Subs View Post

It refers to a practice, popular with some teenagers (but also with some older folks who have partaken of a few beers to the extent of considering themselves invincible), of jumping off cliffs or harbour (or harbor for with those without a Queen) walls into the sea below. As the adopted falling pose is often a rigid, vertical one, the term tomb-stoning has been coined. However, as an all-too-common consequence is a broken neck or back, due to hidden rocks in the water, the term is appropriate in other ways.

Tom.

18pounder
    Quote Originally Posted by Snufkin View Post
    It refers to a practice, popular with some teenagers (but also with some older folks who have partaken of a few beers to the extent of considering themselves invincible), of jumping off cliffs or harbour (or harbor for with those without a Queen) walls into the sea below. As the adopted falling pose is often a rigid, vertical one, the term tomb-stoning has been coined. However, as an all-too-common consequence is a broken neck or back, due to hidden rocks in the water, the term is appropriate in other ways.

Tom.
    you spoil sport!! was trying to do a wind up!! doh lol