What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Avatar for Submunitions

US-Subs

ORDNANCE APPROVED/Premium Member
Ordnance approved
Premium Member
Thanks Bolo!

How many recognise the piece? - You two in the back keep your mouths shut, you know who you are.

Not on my car, we can try it on yours if you like.

Not too much more, its a fairly small sub.

Here is a better photo, I'll check back in the morning and see if we have any winners.

Attachments

• DSC_3616a.jpg
    DSC_3616a.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 105
  • DSC_3616.jpg
    DSC_3616.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 100
No, but you are on the correct side of the ocean (either).

That wouldn't by chance be an American magnetic under water sub munition to harass Soviet submarines with would it? Pat

No, though it does look a little similar. Nice try Pat, its not US.

Time to finish this one off and move on -

The submunition on the avatar is Dutch in origin, known simply as a PLP (Plaatladingprojectiel). It was an experimental series of submunitions from the mid 1960s that never saw service. At least 20 veriations have been seen, with differences in size and stabilisation most common.

Although it never entered use, the inert examples were well distributed. I saw my first one in Arizona in the late 1980s, the thought then was that it had probably come out of Yuma Proving ground, maybe related to the M42 program - way off. I saw a couple more over the years, and finally when arriving in the NL the facts came out.

I offered this one as the avatar, first because it had good lines and would show up well in a small photo, but also because it represented something typical of submunitions - its weird, unusual and looks like nothing else (except, perhaps, an ice-scaper).

Here are a couple of shots of some variants in my collection, followed by a few documents.

Attachments

• DSCN0241.jpg
    DSCN0241.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 66
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 44
  • DSC_0188.jpg
    DSC_0188.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 40
And the paper stuff.

Attachments

• 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 48
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 58
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 46
............ The submunition on the avatar is Dutch in origin, known simply as a PLP (Plaatladingprojectiel). It was an experimental series of submunitions from the mid 1960s that never saw service. At least 20 veriations have been seen, with differences in size and stabilisation most common.................

US-Subs,
Thank you for the information you posted.
(I am a fish out of water on anything post WW2 !! )

I find it intresting to see how submunitions evolved in the post war period.

regards
Kev

Yeah, its an area I love, but so much of the history is lost or hidden - much of the US stuff in Viet Nam, what the Russians were doing before Afghanistan - there's still a lot that we cannot find in open sources - yet.

I had the same problem, the response from Bolo was:

"You maybe looking at cached page, try pressing CTRL + R to refresh the page and see if it appears."

Worked for me.

Cached page

cached page, cached page !?!
Should it be for security !?!
"Keep your secret secret", "My job is so secret that I don't known what I do !" :hahaha: :laugh: