What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Caught in time

Dirt Detective,

I probably did something wrong here. Thanks for showing me that Gspgge. But I'd bet that those pieces will not fit into one grenade either. No, it wasn't "sintered" Iron it was cast Iron, my fault. Again, it was cast Iron which was what most if not all were made from. The "Pineaple" grenades were very poor performers during WWII. They did produce allot of dust just like I stated, more so than dangerous fragmentation. Watch the old films with GI's and their grenades when they would throw them into foxholes, trenches, cave and bunkers. When they throw them then watch for the burst. They are not the ones you would find knocking people all over. They also produced smoke through the top of the fuze when ignited via the bouchon igniter. Grenades back then just weren't that powerful because of the type of explosive used in side of the grenade body. If any of these sintered iron grenades were to go off in an open field with allot of the WWII enemy within this circle, say within a 20 meter circle from the point of detonation. Very few would be killed at best the rest would be itching from the dust. I have a movie made by the Signal Corp back then in the USA of the weapons we used in WWII. It may help to understand explosive dynamics better.

So what can we conclude with all of these facts?:tinysmile_hmm_t::tinysmile_grin_t:

V-40

Last edited:
My conclusion is that WWII MK2 pineapples rock,although not on par with modern day ordnance technology,AND, that Dirt Detective has some kick ass photos.:rock:

So what can we conclude with all of these facts?:tinysmile_hmm_t::tinysmile_grin_t:
V-40

I know it wasn't dust that punched holes in that truck body..and there were frag shrapnel pieces all around it...so I think the MKIIA1 worked good.
I would assume when they explode they produce smoke, and produce more dangerous fragments than dust. I think this from the evidence I have seen, but I could be wrong..it wouldnt be the first time

To add some pic's of fragments..here are a few pieces that are marked..

Attachments

• Grenade Markings 019.jpg
    Grenade Markings 019.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 22
  • Grenade Markings 020.jpg
    Grenade Markings 020.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 18
  • Grenade Markings 010.jpg
    Grenade Markings 010.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 19
  • Grenade Markings 011.jpg
    Grenade Markings 011.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 15
I think i read somewhere that the US used "Malable Iron" instead of Cast Iron as it fragmented better.
I'll see if i can find the reference when i get home from work.
Cheers, Paul.

DD,

I am still thinking that those fragments were from more than one grenade. I also believe that as far as that piece of metal was concerned, it may have been bitten by more than one grenade.

Another reason for poor fragmentation of the Mk. 2 grenade, was that one of the fillers was EC blank powder. Granted, it was a fast burning powder, but it doesn't give the detonation wave approx. 25,000 ft. per second that TNT gives.

Manufacturing fragmentation bodies is an economic and scientific problem. Mk. 2 grenades were made by the millions, cast from iron or steel because the U.S. got rushed into the war. Money is always a consideration when selecting materials for warheads. Payback in the value of the item destroyed versus the cost of the warhead. We might pay a lot more for a specific Hi-Frag alloy for antiaircraft projectiles to destroy costly airplanes, but scrimp on price when it comes to a grenade to kill a single soldier, especially when we need to make millions of grenades versus 50,000 hi-frag projectiles. As technology and metalurgy improved, ordnance followed with more appropriate materials. The bodies of U.S. 81mm mortar shells were made from pearlitic malleable iron a few years ago, because it fragmented well. The current trend (APAM) is to go to a design using tungsten BBs suspended in a plastic matrix for mortar bodies. Initial testing was very impressive where a 60mm tungsten matrix mortar projo had the same or better affect as the older design 81mm iron projo. The problem with this round, is the high cost of the tungsten BBs.

I found a pic on the net that shows a government test of a MKII grenade, I think it shows well the fragmentation and not much turned to ...dust. Wish it was a better pic but it shows it good enough.

Attachments

• 2g.jpg
    2g.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 30