What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

US Bombfuse " Air propeller "

bloome

Hi Collectors,

Does anyone has info, draw, cutaway of this US Bombfuse " Air propeller "
and from the complete fuse?
How does it function?

I can not find this one anywhere with the blades bent is this direction.

Any info is welcome,

thanks!

Attachments

• air2.JPG
    air2.JPG
    43.8 KB · Views: 58
  • air1.JPG
    air1.JPG
    49 KB · Views: 44
rear air vane

Hi Bloome,
what you have there is the rear air vane used on fuze Mk 346 when used with a snake eye tail.
I looking in my pics or drawing for a pic of complete tail assembly.

Attachments

• Rear air vane-01.JPG
    Rear air vane-01.JPG
    18 KB · Views: 43
Hi Bloome,
what you have there is the rear air vane used on fuze Mk 346 when used with a snake eye tail.
I looking in my pics or drawing for a pic of complete tail assembly.

Ok, iam curious..topside looks dif then in your picture?
Also holes in the vaines i mis?

Oups

I think I was a little to quick for answer. The air vane assembly for Mk 346 was my quick first reaction. I found now different models of tail fuzes air vanes. Have you some marking on your one ?
One thing is sure, it's a arming air vane for US tail fuzes ! But I suppose that you knewn this !
Wait, wait, wait,...

I think I was a little to quick for answer. The air vane assembly for Mk 346 was my quick first reaction. I found now different models of tail fuzes air vanes. Have you some marking on your one ?
One thing is sure, it's a arming air vane for US tail fuzes ! But I suppose that you knewn this !
Wait, wait, wait,...

I will wait :top:

Yoda,
I'm away from my books at the moment, but it seems that there was a TM from about 1966 that had pretty good views of the different assemblies, an OP from about the same time frame also.

Documentation

Thanks for info US-Subs, but for Doc dated of '66, I shall must take time to organize a search into the old cupboards of our barracks !

Sorry about the quality.

Thanks to Spotter for the higher quality image!

Attachments

• Manual cover.jpg
    Manual cover.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 42
  • m112a1.jpg
    m112a1.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:
Sorrie guys but this is NOT my air vaine assembly.
Its total different according the pictures.

Air vane

Just too late, I have find the same doc as Hazord.
The air vane can be part of any US modern tail fuze.
I'm particular looking on air vanes with holes in the vane !

Attachments

• Air vane M112 series.JPG
    Air vane M112 series.JPG
    54.9 KB · Views: 39
  • Air vane M132.jpg
    Air vane M132.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 36
If nobody has it by then I'll try and hunt when I get home later.

Just too late, I have find the same doc as Hazord.
The air vane can be part of any US modern tail fuze.
I'm particular looking on air vanes with holes in the vane !

Hi Yoda, this seems more like it,
the stem cup is gone so it looks strange.
The holes in the vains are square, ill post some more pictures this evening.

Here are the pictures,
The holes look as if they are punched square!

Attachments

• DSCN4145.jpg
    DSCN4145.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 32
  • DSCN4144.jpg
    DSCN4144.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 29
  • DSCN4139.jpg
    DSCN4139.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 31
I've been through my pubs with no luck, noting the irregularity of the holes, I wonder if they were done post-manufacture? It could have been a field modification, or something done even later - ?

I've been through my pubs with no luck, noting the irregularity of the holes, I wonder if they were done post-manufacture? It could have been a field modification, or something done even later - ?

Could be, i think also but the vaines are bent in the opposite
direction than al other ww2 fuzes, so this is strange i think.
I can nog find any with the bending this side.

the vanes do belong to some sort of US 100 series tail fuze, thats possitive, I've seen them with and without square hole in the Vanes, it could just be from what ever company made that fuze as long as it met the mil spec. Lots of time we don't use it as an ID feature due to the fact most arming vanes are destroyed after impact.

Another point is that you can see the normal arming wire holes, round and neat, closer to the stem. It would make little sense to have trim factory holes and then in another manufacturing step punch rough, off center holes.

Unknown air vane

Let me think,
if the blades are bent otherwise will say that the vane shall not unscrew and deliver the firing mecanism but well screw the arming rod in the fuze. Why ? That do me looking on UK Pist No 37 for squash the chemical glass.
I have not my Doc at home (where I am now!), look perhaps in this direction.
Other possibility, the thread of the arming rod is counterclockwise (we say lefthand). And I have also the same idea, the first amelioration of Pist No 37 when the pistol was unscrewed of his pocket fuze with a normal vane.