What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Small blue thing

SG500

Premium Member
I'm sure there's loads of information on the forum about this thing but as I don't know what its called its tricky to do a search on it.
I've seen a photograph of loads of these stacked inside a 155mm - with the copper cone shaped charge I assume they fall on top of armoured vehicles and blow holes in the top of them
Has anyone got any further information about it please (or links to the info on the forum). Anyone got a sectioned one so I can see what's going on inside?
Its INERT.
Thanks,
Dave.

Attachments

• 24 January 2010 001.jpg
    24 January 2010 001.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 114
  • 24 January 2010 002.jpg
    24 January 2010 002.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 80
  • 24 January 2010 003.jpg
    24 January 2010 003.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 72
i know nothing about this thing, but to me it looks like a hollow charge clusterbomb

Isreali designed M85 Bantam. Adopted by the Germans and the Romanians as I remember, part of the M42 type family with variations now in use by around 50 countries (the one shown is German). There are more variations of this submunition type now floating around out there than any other design, with slightly different versions made in the US, France, Russia, the Czechs, Greece, Spain, Serbia etc. The Germans have about 5-6 designs that they played with just on their own.

Thanks US subs - obviously one of those designs that work well.

Dave.

The Israeli design has a small side striker embedded in the slider that hits a pyrotechnic chain as soon as the slider moves out. The idea is that the device will self destruct even if the main striker doesn't hit the cap.

Yes, with the public/NGO outcry against duds on the battlefields everyone is slowly adding "self-sanitising" elements to their M42 types. The Germans trialed a couple different designs, I'm not sure if they accepted the Israeli design or not, I don't see many original Israeli pieces from this location so comparison can be difficult. The US also has their new fuzes for the M42/46 and M77, I believe for the M80 as well, though I haven't really been paying attention lately. Any original photos of M85s would be welcome, PM me.

Dave,

Another difference between your submunition and the original U.S. M42, is the coiled frag sleeve around the outside. The original U.S. version is made from a single piece of 4140 tool steel, and is first coined to emboss the frag pattern on a flat strip of metal. The strip is then blanked and the blank is ironed over a mandrel through a die to form the body with the frag pattern on the inside.

Thanks John, they're certainly designed well for mass production.
Dave.

Here is a similar from my collection

I bought this from egun last year and I think it is from some test in germany

Attachments

• DSC_0454.jpg
    DSC_0454.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 28
  • DSC_0455.jpg
    DSC_0455.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 23
It's made by IMI - Israel military industries) and sold to Germany.
Regards, DJH