What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

135X705 case

Andysarmoury

Premium Member
Hi All i have had this case for more than 35 years and i believe it to be a 13cm German WW1 case the measurements are 135X705 the head stamp is PATRONENFABRIK KARLSRUHE DATED 1918, the thing that puzzles me is it has 12 holes in the top part of the case is it for pining in the different charges used or has someone tried to make something out of it.
Cheers
Andy

Attachments

• 13cm shell.jpg
    13cm shell.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 113
  • 13cm shell (2).jpg
    13cm shell (2).jpg
    106 KB · Views: 101
Yes Andy 13cm German WW1 casing, have seen more than a few but none with holes drilled so I would have to think the holes were bored later (or not)...Dano

Hi dano, yes that's what i thought its a pity because its a nice case, has anybody got a pic of a complete one with projectile?
Andy

Sorry to bring this old topic back up, but I was looking for some info on this case.
I know that http://www.kaisersbunker.com/cc/cc04.htm has a good set of pictures of the gun as wel as the round.
Does anyone know the value of a 13 cm case in good condition. I am planning of buying one. I have it's head, and now I'm in search of the casing.

Thanks and regards

John

Thanks John for the link, have you a pic of your projectile as would like to see it, cant help you with price as i was given mine, dose anybody know if the holes could be filed with something
Regards
Andy

Andy

One of our illustrious members recently brazed an inerting hole. Imperceptible afterwards. Imaokie2000 has the skilz.

Rick

You could have a good welder fill them with brazing rod and spend some time with file and abrasive paper. The holes will be gone, but there might be "spots", but it will be an improvment.

Thanks Rick, i had thought of that i will have to talk to a friend who can braze.
Regards
Andy

I have been told that TIG welding is also a possibility.

I would like to find someone who can do this and have them try it on a scrap case first to see what the result looks like.

Last edited:
You could have a good welder fill them with brazing rod and spend some time with file and abrasive paper. The holes will be gone, but there might be "spots", but it will be an improvment.

Soldering the case by use of other case material (scrap cases) from the time period and nationality will leave no spots. It just has to be done by a skilled person.

Soldering the case by use of other case material (scrap cases) from the time period and nationality will leave no spots. It just has to be done by a skilled person.

Considering the variables in the "mix", especially during wartime production in the early 20th century, no batch will be exactly like another. Unless one was able to determine and then replicate the ratios of copper and zinc (and whatever else might have been thrown in the melt), the extended effort at hole filling would be nominally effective. A good polishing will be mandatory but as the surface patinaed, there will be a slightly noticeable mark visible. While the effort might be worthy, the results will still leave a faint blemish over time. I lean to the KISS principle.

Here's the previously mentioned "fill".

IMG_0878 (800x193).jpg

Last edited:
You soldered a hole in a dummy cartridge?

The Germans brass was pretty continuous in composition. The "repairs" I have seen (and a friend did for me) were perfect and unrecognizable.

No. I did not solder anything. This was a "test", by the owner of the shell, to see what the results might be. Turned out quite well, considering it was a first attempt. It is an inerted round, not a dummy.

@ Andy: Here some pictures of the projectile for the German 13cm Kanone 09 L/35. (At least, that's what I think it is)

It is completely inert and weighs some 27 kg.
Height : 53 cm
Diameter : 135 mm

To illustrate the size, I pictured it with a 3,7cm Krupp Sockelflak round.
If anyone knows the market price for a 13cm casing it would be very much appreciated.

img6070t.jpg

img6073v.jpg

img6063l.jpg

img6071j.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks JohnR, for showing it i too am not sure if its a 13cm but someone will know for sure,but a great projectile all the same.
Cheers
Andy

Can anybody confirm if this is indeed a the correct 13cm shell? for the 13cm Kanone 09 L/35.