What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bomb incendiary 1 3/4 LB mark II

blu97

HONOURED MEMBER RIP
Ordnance approved
I have got this Bomb incediary 1 3/4 LB mark II. The bomb has the same shape ans dimmensions as the incediary bomb as used in the 25 Lb incendiary bomb but it has a tin metal cover and two pieces of time fuze. I am wondering how this bomb was used, and how its works.
Thanks erik.

Attachments

• DSCN0468.jpg
    DSCN0468.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 117
  • DSCN0469.jpg
    DSCN0469.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 116
  • DSCN0467.jpg
    DSCN0467.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 105
Last edited by a moderator:
Never seen it, but it could be hand placed like the 6lb ground bomb -

I don't think it is handplaced, the strange thing is that the lid is glued on, so that is wy i am wondering how this thing operates.

Could the lid be glued to maintain integrity of the cut-away?

I have got this Bomb incediary 1 3/4 LB mark II. The bomb has the same shape ans dimmensions as the incediary bomb as used in the 25 Lb incendiary bomb but it has a tin metal cover and two pieces of time fuze. I am wondering how this bomb was used, and how its works.
Thanks erik.

It is a hand placed incendiary developed by the SOE technical branch. You are right to observe that they used the incendiary sub-munitions from the 25-lb Incy Bomb which was obsolescent. They added the Bickford tails and put it a neat tin. Usual options for initiation of the safety fuze (time pencil, switches etc). There is also a matchhead which can be struck using a brassard (striker board) or equivalent.

Known as a Firepot and introduced in limited quantities in 1941 with the Mark II (better waterproofing) being produced from the end of 1942. 733,000 Firepots of both marks were produced. ICI did the 25-lb Bomb breakdown and conversion work.

PM me an email address and I will send you a data sheet. I could do with high res photos if you are amenable.

Last edited:
The firepot MKIA duSOE is 25 lbs. bomb incendiary that has changed. The ignition is accomplishedby cords bickford added on top. The firepot in picture in attachment comesparachuting to the Resistance in France.
Barnabé

firepot.jpg
man1.jpgmanuel SOE.jpgcroquis.jpg

Hi Barnabe

Very nice items, and superb condition too. Definitely not something you see every day!!! Thanks, and please keep the pictures coming.

Cheers

Switch