What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

5cm flak 41

According to "Das Grosse Buch Der Flak" by Manfred Griehl development of 5cm Flak 41 was ceased in March 1942 as results were not satisfying. 48 guns had been made.
In 1944 it was reported that 24 guns were still in service and another 24 for training purposes. 1 battery constied of 6 guns, so they were not in use in many places. At least one battery was placed at Gring's Carinhalle. Hazord's color photo shows typical south-east coast of Baltic sea, could be the training area near Polish border? Perhaps near where wz.KC found his case?

Here are some photos of my round. It is the APHE variety.

I'm starting another thread in the ID section, asking for help with the round next to the Flak 41.

Attachments

• Flak rounds.jpg
    Flak rounds.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 81
  • Flak 41 apart.jpg
    Flak 41 apart.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 57
  • Flak 41 projo apart.jpg
    Flak 41 projo apart.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 52
  • Flak 41 Projo base.jpg
    Flak 41 Projo base.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 47
  • Flak 41 base.jpg
    Flak 41 base.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 59
Also just noticed the first round is a 4cm Flak 28 :tinysmile_hmm_t: It is a lovely example, could you please post some pics of the shell, markings, etc. I have two 3,7 Flak DB like yours, one of them the practice version. They are beautiful rounds.

Attachments

• Flak-PAK 1.jpg
    Flak-PAK 1.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 66
Miguel has right, Hazord's HEAP is PzGr 39 used in 5 cm Pak and KWK. According to 5 cm Flak 41 manual L.Dv.4402/4 only PzGr 42 ( with ballistic cap ) was used with this gun.

Here are some photos of my round. It is the APHE variety.

I'm starting another thread in the ID section, asking for help with the round next to the Flak 41.

Nice rounds there John thanks for showing them.
Dave.

Hi,

I have another question for the rounds experts, why I cant find an original 4 cm Flak 28 complet round? Why I can find only empty cases?

Here German made, 4cm projectile what I find in poland. I find a lot, but all in this condition. This is German made 4cm projectile, with KZ 40 fuze, was find with stell and brass cases. We find also lot of german 4cm Pzgr, and Hungarian. sometimes also Polisch made for 40mm bofors gun. all looks very similar. 40mm Bofors AA, was very popular in many countries in ww2 (Poland, Hungarian, Briitish, German...) ... but german made projectiles, made for german cases, are rare now

(01-05) 4cm Br.Sprgr. LH28 with KZ 40 fuze - for 4cm Flak 28, with case
(06) -
German made, unknown 4cm Pzgr, find with german made 4cm case, and possible german made 4cm Pzgr (with balistic cup) for hungarian 40mm Bofors ammunition (Hungarian nomenclature - 40mm 39M pncltrő grnt)
(07) German made, 40mm HE projectile for Polisch 40mm bofors gun, with KZ 38 fuze.

As you can see, german made couple types of 40mm projectiles, own types, and some copies from other countries for captured canons.

Regards.

Attachments

• 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 32
  • 02.jpg
    02.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 32
  • 03.jpg
    03.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 28
  • 04.jpg
    04.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 35
  • 05.jpg
    05.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 38
  • 06.jpg
    06.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 31
  • 07.jpg
    07.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 41
wz.KC,

Thanks for posting your 40mm treasures. I have to admit, all the different countries using the 40mm L/60 makes for headaches in identifying if it is German, Polish, Hungarian, Italian, etc.

One of the kind forum members sorted me out a spare projectile so the top bits now improved!
Dave.

Attachments

• 5cm Flak.jpg
    5cm Flak.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 73
One of the kind forum members sorted me out a spare projectile so the top bits now improved!
Dave.
Attached Thumbnails

Thats one lovely looking round you have there Dave,

well done!!

regards
Kev