What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Some of My Fathers Photos WW2

Gspragge

Premium Member
He was in the RCAF and served on many bases in Canada. He mainly worked
on Havard Trainers. I am posting images of two of them. One the usual landing nonsense, the other a bit more severe !

Attachments

• crash 2.jpg
    crash 2.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 67
  • crash 3.jpg
    crash 3.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 63
  • crash 4.jpg
    crash 4.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 58
  • crash 5.jpg
    crash 5.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 69
  • crash 6.jpg
    crash 6.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 63
  • crash 7.jpg
    crash 7.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 66
  • crash 8.jpg
    crash 8.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 63
  • Tipped.jpg
    Tipped.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 87
  • canister 6.jpg
    canister 6.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 41
  • canister 11.jpg
    canister 11.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 35
  • canister 10.jpg
    canister 10.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 36
  • canister 8.jpg
    canister 8.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 40
  • canister 7.jpg
    canister 7.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 43
  • canister 5.jpg
    canister 5.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 37
  • canister 4.jpg
    canister 4.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 36
  • canister 3.jpg
    canister 3.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 37
  • canister 2.jpg
    canister 2.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 45
  • canister 1.jpg
    canister 1.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 43
  • canister 12.jpg
    canister 12.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 34
  • canister 13.jpg
    canister 13.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 41
  • canister 14.jpg
    canister 14.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 39
  • canister 15.jpg
    canister 15.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 44
  • canister 16.jpg
    canister 16.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 33
  • canister 17.jpg
    canister 17.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 31
  • canister 18.jpg
    canister 18.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 33
  • canister 19.jpg
    canister 19.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 29
  • canister 21.jpg
    canister 21.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
A few

I will post some more tomorrow.

I will put one in The Guns , maybe somebody can identify the gun ?

Gispragge,

On picture No. 22 or 23, what is that long aircraft called? I don't think I have ever seen you of those?

V40

It is a Fairy Battle

This is a British Dive bomber, these did so badly in 39-40 that they were withdrawn from combat and used for training. Mind they didn't do any worse than the German Stuka over England. The Officer giving the speech is Billy Bishop.

Last edited:
Interesting, some nice photos you got there, my grandfather was in the RAF who was sent to canada during the war he was a LAC do you know of any of the base he was sent to? Would you mind if i posted he a photo of my grandfather in uniform?

First off, Thanks Gordon. What an eclectic collection of aircraft. Hudsons, Walrus, Blenhiem, Catalina, Spitfire, Texans, Gladiator, Mosquito, FANTASTIC!! The aircraft in pix 22, could it be a Fairey Fulmer instead of a Battle? I don't see the turret or fairings replacing it, but I don't know. Dittos on not knowing the twin engined bi-plane transport in pix 20. And just out of curiosity, did the pilot(s) survive in the first few pix of shredded aircraft? Thanks, Bruce.

Thanks for posting pics,Nice to see some genuine on the spot pics not already published,the twin engined biplane is I think a De Haviland Dragon Rapide,the target tug is I am sure a Fairey Battle,no wonder they were deemed "underpowered",that is a large aircraft for a single engine,
Thanks again for the pics,
Regards,
Don,

First off, Thanks Gordon. What an eclectic collection of aircraft. Hudsons, Walrus, Blenhiem, Catalina, Spitfire, Texans, Gladiator, Mosquito, FANTASTIC!! The aircraft in pix 22, could it be a Fairey Fulmer instead of a Battle? I don't see the turret or fairings replacing it, but I don't know. Dittos on not knowing the twin engined bi-plane transport in pix 20. And just out of curiosity, did the pilot(s) survive in the first few pix of shredded aircraft? Thanks, Bruce.
Bruce, its not a Fulmar although that and the Battle are somewhat similar. The Battle in its light bomber role did not have a turret, just a Vickers K poking out the back of the camopy. Nore did the tug version, but some, mainly in Canada, had the fuselage cut down just behind the pilot and a turret from a Bolingbroke (Canadain built Blenheim) installed when used for gunner training.

Dave

Thanks for straining me out on the Battle. The main thing I knew about them is that they were target ships, then they pulled them from front line use. Cheers, Bruce.