What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cleaning ammunition

Thanks for the advice. As a carpenter I'm sure you can guide me through when I hit troubles....if you don't mind! I am a bit tight, so will probably be using some sort of soft wood. Would this be OK?

Thanks for the advice. As a carpenter I'm sure you can guide me through when I hit troubles....if you don't mind! I am a bit tight, so will probably be using some sort of soft wood. Would this be OK?
Hi pointblank0,
I don't have an extensive knowledge of the tannin content of different timbers, what I do know, is that light woods, tend to have a lesser content than dark woods. What I understand, is that hardwoods are worse than softwoods. It is apparently all to do with tha gasses produced by the various compounds that make up the tannin. We need a chemist here to help both of us!! So come on guys, inform us on the wood with the least tannin or gas emmision.

Best wishes,

Mike

I have always used hardwoods for the frames of the cabinets and frames when making display boards & plywood for the backs but I have always covered the backs with a nice coloured material usually baize red or green looks great.

Rich,

Bronze wool

Hi all,:dontknow:

It is very interesting to note that bronze wool is harder than gold to find in the UK. Likewise it is the same story over here in Australia & :sheep:.

In Australia one chap sells it, but at a really jacked up price that is clearly profiteering from the situation. Looking online at the US hardware supply websites it is very cheap but the pricks won't sell it to customers outside the US:secruity:.

Does anybody know of a supply at a reasonable price that is available to persons outside the US in such places as Australia and the UK.

Or maybe if any of our US members would be kind enough to help:help: us out. I.E. we send some dosh and they send us a supply of some of that "restricted" bronze wool.

Cheers,
BOUGAINVILLE.

Last edited:
I have always used hardwoods for the frames of the cabinets and frames when making display boards & plywood for the backs but I have always covered the backs with a nice coloured material usually baize red or green looks great.

Rich,
Hi Rich,
I was passing on what I had researched for storing medals when I was collecting Iron Crosses, I wanted to get it right, because some of the Iron Cross family are worth mega bucks, and I didn't want to mess them up. It appears that Oak is particularly bad, because of the tannin content, also mahogany, unless it is old and well seasoned can be bad. Man made board is also warned against, especially particle board, like MDF, because of the toxic properties of the adhesives, and any material covering used, should be acid free. I must admit that all this was doing my flippin' head in at the time, but I think this is relavant to cartridge displays. At the time, I even phoned the Imperial War Museum, to ask what they used to store medals, and they use a product called Zotefoam, which I got hold of, it is an acid free sort of dense neoprene. Perhaps the toxins produced from various products, are not as critical for cartridges, as they are for medals. Thanks for the input. We still haven't found a chemist Ha! Ha!

Best wishes,

Mike

Hi all,:dontknow:

It is very interesting to note that bronze wool is harder than gold to find in the UK. Likewise it is the same story over here in Australia & :sheep:.

In Australia one chap sells it, but at a really jacked up price that is clearly profiteering from the situation. Looking online at the US hardware supply websites it is very cheap but the pricks won't sell it to customers outside the US:secruity:.

Does anybody know of a supply at a reasonable price that is available to persons outside the US in such places as Australia and the UK.

Or maybe if any of our US members would be kind enough to help:help: us out. I.E. we send some dosh and they send us a supply of some of that "restricted" bronze wool.

Cheers,
BOUGAINVILLE.
Hi Bougainville,
As I said in an earlier post, it is the same here in the UK, they want a bloody arm and a leg for the stuff. I saw it cheap on Ebay UK, but the seller wanted somewhere around 20 postage, he must be working for the British Government! Some of these people are real jerk heads if they think others are going to buy from them.
Perhaps there is an opening here for someone with the right knowledge to start importing the stuff and selling at the right price!
I see that your unofficial national anthem has been sued, jeez why can't people just have a few beers and let others get on with life!

Best wishes,

Mike.

Hi Bougainville,
As I said in an earlier post, it is the same here in the UK, they want a bloody arm and a leg for the stuff. I saw it cheap on Ebay UK, but the seller wanted somewhere around 20 postage, he must be working for the British Government! Some of these people are real jerk heads if they think others are going to buy from them.
Perhaps there is an opening here for someone with the right knowledge to start importing the stuff and selling at the right price!
I see that your unofficial national anthem has been sued, jeez why can't people just have a few beers and let others get on with life!

Best wishes,

Mike.
Hell it is sold here in the US at grocery stores to be used as pot scrubbers and is super cheap...Dano

Hell it is sold here in the US at grocery stores to be used as pot scrubbers and is super cheap...Dano
Hi Dano,
Yeah, we seem to be getting screwed with the price of it here in the UK.
Mind you we get screwed with a lot of prices here.

Best wishes,

Mike.