What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Type 17B german bomb fuze

Probably not quite the same thing but... I'm currently writing a book about the Blitz on Leicestershire. Am going through No. 3 BD Coy's records and on 15/12/1940 it states: 'Bomb at Great Casterton [near Stamford, A1] detonated. 250kg fitted with a No.17 fuze. Two retaining screws were missing and both plungers.' Whether they popped out when it landed or...?? Who knows?

Austin

Thank you Austin for that info.
I look forward to reading your book mate. :)

cheers

waff

Thanks Waff.

Rather than just the usual local Blitz history i.e "Bloggs Street was blown up in November 1940", I've tried to do it a bit fresher/deeper level. I've tracked many of the German bomber units that bombed the county from the Bundesarchiv and fortunately, the RE BD archives almost survive in their entirety, meaning that the RE BD Section War Diaries even go down to the level of what fuzes were found in the bombs and what BD measures were used. Some real crackers in the records such as:

"Bomb removed from Mere Road, Leicester. Colour was sky blue and according to dimensions believed to be a 1400kg Fritz. Bomb removed without defusing. Only marking on fuze was a Roman II. Head of fuze projected about an inch above level of bomb. Removal supervised by Major McCartney and Lt Lee. Assistance from Derby Section received. Bomb carried away by that Section. Depth of excavation was 24ft." Meaning they carried away a 1400kg live through the small streets of Leicester!!:shot:

Will post details of when book is published as I'm sure the level of detail will make it of interest to forum members.

Cheers

Austin

plenty more markings....

I have a very important part for that fuse of yours bud:tinysmile_classes_t

It is the correct middle sealing o ring that slips up on the switch body to seal the two halves together.

Will fill the missing gap and make the fuse look correcto.

little package your way i feel:tinysmile_classes_t

Best phil

Attachments

• Newest 17A 015.jpg
    Newest 17A 015.jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
I have a very important part for that fuse of yours bud:tinysmile_classes_t

It is the correct middle sealing o ring that slips up on the switch body to seal the two halves together.

Will fill the missing gap and make the fuse look correcto.

little package your way i feel:tinysmile_classes_t

Best phil

I tip my hat to you my fine friend! Will indeedy complete it.
Thank you very much. I shall make sure you have a dig in these 67's pal. ;)

cheers
waff

I tip my hat to you my fine friend! Will indeedy complete it.
Thank you very much. I shall make sure you have a dig in these 67's pal. ;)

cheers
waff

I shall dig into my RHS spares dept and sorty you one out old mate.

Best phil

Phil,
I just sent you a couple of pressies in the post today. ;)
Quick question regs the 17's. Did they have a standard metal cap covering the pins or were they specially marked such as the early 15's?
I ask as ive had pics of my forthcoming latest ones and they seem to have standard caps.
best

waff

Hi Paul
It was only the very early fuzes that appear to have their transit caps marked