What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Type 17B german bomb fuze

waffenamt

Again,a very nice score this week for 'El Waffo-bandito de fuzo' :bandit: :xd:

A lovely,clean 17B ive been after for a long time and comes with a complete bakelite '42 dated pot and correct lid.

Nice stamps and markings in abundance.

I think the pictures do the talking with this beauty!

Attachments

• 17B stripped 009.jpg
    17B stripped 009.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 79
  • 17B stripped 010.jpg
    17B stripped 010.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 77
  • 17B stripped 011.jpg
    17B stripped 011.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 60
  • 17B stripped 008.jpg
    17B stripped 008.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:
plenty more markings....

Attachments

• 17B stripped 012.jpg
    17B stripped 012.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 47
  • 17B stripped 013.jpg
    17B stripped 013.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 50
  • 17B stripped 014.jpg
    17B stripped 014.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 40
  • 17B stripped 015.jpg
    17B stripped 015.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 36
Did i mention it fully strips?? :p

Attachments

• 17B stripped 016.jpg
    17B stripped 016.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 65
  • 17B stripped 017.jpg
    17B stripped 017.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 62
  • 17B stripped 018.jpg
    17B stripped 018.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 67
  • 17B stripped 019.jpg
    17B stripped 019.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 67
This looks like its been used as a training aid at some time because it easily stripped and there was 2 small screws missing which are easily replaceable from my spares set. :)
No number 26 det present.

Note the lack of ink inspector marks and casing stamps compared to my other strippable clockwork mechanism.

Attachments

• 17B stripped 020.jpg
    17B stripped 020.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 59
  • 17B stripped 023.jpg
    17B stripped 023.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 58
  • 17B stripped 022.jpg
    17B stripped 022.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 58
  • 17B stripped 021.jpg
    17B stripped 021.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
Oh,and as an added bonus,once i had lightly oiled the mechanism...it started to tick like my other one!!! :biggrin:

cheers

waff

Attachments

• 17B stripped 024.jpg
    17B stripped 024.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 43
  • 17B stripped 025.jpg
    17B stripped 025.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 40
  • 17B stripped 026.jpg
    17B stripped 026.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 39
Oh,and as an added bonus,once i had lightly oiled the mechanism...it started to tick like my other one!!! :biggrin:

cheers

waff

What a nice fuse and doubt that it was a training aid just one in mothballs and over time may have been stripped and screws lost (does happen)

It more than likely was plucked from a bomb and has sat in a drawer for ever,as very little wear has appeared anyware.

Nice fuse good price Result:xd:

Best phil

Thank you very much my old friend! :top: 'Plucked from a bomb' Ooooh,i like the way you've put that!

It has given me quite a buzz today,methinks i will hammer the gym tonight!

cheers

waff

Nice fuze Waff, I'm not into Bomb fuzes (other than butterfly ones) but I recognise quality when I see it and that one really is fantastic. Thanks for showing it.
Dave.

Nice fuze Waff, I'm not into Bomb fuzes (other than butterfly ones) but I recognise quality when I see it and that one really is fantastic. Thanks for showing it.
Dave.

Thanks Dave,
My pleasure to share the pics with the forum. :) I have been after one of these type for a long time and just failed a deal recently with another,so this really made my day!

cheers

waff

Last edited:
Asterisk;

Hi Waff,
Those are some great photos, very thorough coverage. What is the meaning of the asterisk?
May I make a photographic suggestion?
Get yourself a ring light and take out the magnifying glass, this will give you a soft, even, well illumated object. Use dougle sticky tape to hold the fuze in the desired postion (instead of fingers). Shoot down through the middle of the ring light and use high resolution setting and steady the camera to permit a sharp, well focused image.
All the Best,
John aka Bart

Last edited by a moderator:
BEAUTIFUL !!

What more can I say? Well done Waff, patience pays off in the end.

regards
Kev

Cheers Kev. :)

I am a happy waffster tonight! :)

Already got a couple of enquiries under way regarding some other items from a different source as the 'rat' has put paid to dealing with this seller of the 17 again...:hmpf:

best

waff

Last edited:
Hi Waff,
Those are some great photos, very thorough coverage.
May I make a photographic suggestion?
Get yourself a ring light and take out the magnifying glass, this will give you a soft, even, well illumated object. Use dougle sticky to hold the fuze in the desired postion (instead of fingers). Shoot cown through the middle of the ring light and use high resolution setting and steady the camera to permit a sharp, well focused image.
All the Best,
John aka Bart

Hi John and thank you for the suggestion.

All i presently do is hit 'macro' and be a still as can be!
I do rely on natural daylight too much and end up in all sorts of angles trying to avoid 'light spots' etc.
This 17 was a beasty to do as i had to be careful not to touch the very delicate ink stamps.
As for your question on the asterisk,i believe it means a slight variation of the internals compared to earlier models? My guess would be the clocks as they are slightly different if you look.
member 'Madbomber' is an expert in this field,hopefully he will pop along shortly. :)
cheers

waff

Last edited:
Here they are in the rightful place on the shelf! :p
Some taller than others because i could do with some more transport caps if anyone has spares please?
The bakelite containers are coming along nicely too!

cheers

waff

Attachments

• 17B stripped 031.jpg
    17B stripped 031.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 63
  • 17B stripped 032.jpg
    17B stripped 032.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 44
Thanks, Paul for these superb pictures. They helped me identify a little something I picked up at Stoneleigh. What's left of it would probably work fine but there some bits missing including the vital first gear-wheel in the train.

Tony

Attachments

• Fuze clock 17 a.JPG
    Fuze clock 17 a.JPG
    42.7 KB · Views: 40
  • Fuze clock 17 c.JPG
    Fuze clock 17 c.JPG
    48.1 KB · Views: 44
  • Fuze clock 17 b.JPG
    Fuze clock 17 b.JPG
    39.4 KB · Views: 41
  • Fuze clock 17 f.JPG
    Fuze clock 17 f.JPG
    42.5 KB · Views: 44
Bloody hell! Well found Tony!

Thats a beauty. :) Evidence of ink stamps as well,thats a bonus! :)

best

waff

This looks like its been used as a training aid at some time because it easily stripped and there was 2 small screws missing which are easily replaceable from my spares set. :)
No number 26 det present.

Note the lack of ink inspector marks and casing stamps compared to my other strippable clockwork mechanism.

Probably not quite the same thing but... I'm currently writing a book about the Blitz on Leicestershire. Am going through No. 3 BD Coy's records and on 15/12/1940 it states: 'Bomb at Great Casterton [near Stamford, A1] detonated. 250kg fitted with a No.17 fuze. Two retaining screws were missing and both plungers.' Whether they popped out when it landed or...?? Who knows?

Austin