What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is it a ELAZ 25B or a ELAZ 50B

blu97

HONOURED MEMBER RIP
Ordnance approved
A while ago there was a discussion here on the forum regardingd a ELAZ 25 marked with a Y. Some said that the Y stands for the ELAZ 50. Well I think I found the hard evidence that it is correct. I found a ELAZ 25 B marked with a Y in a collection and you clearly can see that the upperbody is from a ELAZ 50, also the side of the fuze is marked 50B. Unfortunately the lower part of the fuze was empty. Any opinions.
Regards Blu.

Attachments

• DSCN0527.jpg
    DSCN0527.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 218
  • DSCN0528.jpg
    DSCN0528.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 161
  • DSCN0529.jpg
    DSCN0529.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 132
What a find is number one on the list! Congratulations as thats a stunner!

Mucho confusion with the 'Cpp' and 'Y' configurations in past threads regarding type 9 and 55 fuzes.
However,on this occasion the evidence is as clear as a bell. That is deffo a top from a 50B as far as im aware.
Thank you for showing it. :top:

best

waff

Last edited:
hi,
I'm no expert on this but as I understand it the 'Y' mark on the fuze head of a 25 or 50 fuze indicated it as a booby trap fuze incorporating mercury switches.
Bomb disposal manuals and written accounts clearly state that this Y mark was found on the type 25 fuze head.
However hard evidence suggests that it was the 50 fuze that had the Y mark.
I have a small wartime manual that says the Y mark could be found on both the 25 and 50 fuzes. As yet I believe no-one has found a complete example of a type 25 with Y markings complete with the mercury switches. All complete examples containing the mercury switches and the Y markings up to now are the type 50.
However I also beleive that an x-ray photo recently came to light clearly showing a Y- marked 25 fuze containing mercury switches.

The fuze head shown by Blu clearly shows the markings and switch of a type 25 fuze on the head. Could this be the top part of a 25 Y fuze ??

Maybe someone could photograph the top parts of the standard type 25 and 50 for comparison to the images shown.

I will just say again I am no expert in this area, I am just putting down the facts as I understand them - right or wrong. I am sure there are people with better understanding of what exactly the markings signify.

regards
Kev

Nice find there blu looks like its the hard evidence.
Well done on this one.

Right on MB,glad you posted on this thread.

What are your thoughts on this one please fellas?

best
waff

Attachments

• 25 'Y'.jpg
    25 'Y'.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 120
Last edited:
I would guess it has been modified to "D"-version from some of A to C versions??

Thanks T,:)
There is a mysterious looking Y on the head as well? Also,note how the ELAZ is made?

cheers
waff

Hi waff,

From my understanding, the Y marking was used as a modification mark on fuzes, which explains why it is found on the type 9 fuzes etc. I think this is also the case with the type 25 you show in your picture, as T-Mine35 has said it looks like a modification - hence the mark.

The fuze head that blu has originally posted looks indeed as evidence of a 25 'Y' fuze, (ie booby trap) as indicated by Madbomber.

regards
Kev

Here is some information from a wartime BD publication with reference to markings on the fuze head for the 'Y' fuze.

HPIM5002.jpg

intresting note about the two dots before the Elaz marking- hadn't noticed these before, but definately on blu's fuze in photo!!!!!!!

regards
Kev

Last edited:
Good info there Kev,the plot thickens!

Only way i would reckon it was a deffo Y fuze if i had one in my hands would be the length of the fuze. I would have thought any Y fuze should be as long as a 17? Just a theory of course!

cheers
waff

Good info there Kev,the plot thickens!

Only way i would reckon it was a deffo Y fuze if i had one in my hands would be the length of the fuze. I would have thought any Y fuze should be as long as a 17? Just a theory of course!

cheers
waff

Hi waff,

Look at column 1 in the doc I posted, Blu's fuze matches identical to that example, including the two dots preceeding the Elaz marking. The photos of the fuze that he posted is just the top section- not the complete fuze, but I would say it is definately the top part of a 25 Y fuze.
(no doubt the full length of this fuze is much longer than the standard 25B fuze)

Now someone just needs to turn up the whole fuze!!

Could anyone tell me if the double dot before the Elaz on this fuze is unique to this, or was it used elsewhere?

regards
Kev

ELAZ(25)D with a batch mark Y

Hi Paul the same type of fuze in your link
In this case the Y was added to denote that this fuze has been modified , the selector switch is blanked off.

Attachments

• (25)D variation with y 004.jpg
    (25)D variation with y 004.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 78
  • (25)D variation with y 003.jpg
    (25)D variation with y 003.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 43
  • (25)D variation with y 005.jpg
    (25)D variation with y 005.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 43
Last edited by a moderator:
Kev,
I absolutley agree with you that blu's is a genuine Y variant. My point being if you look at the pics of my own 50 and 50B Y,there is a significant difference in length.
I assume the longer body is to incorporate the dry cells and mercury switches?,plus the 50B Y has a 'skirt' on the case bottom to prevent withdrawal.

best

waff

Kev,
I absolutley agree with you that blu's is a genuine Y variant. My point being if you look at the pics of my own 50 and 50B Y,there is a significant difference in length.
I assume the longer body is to incorporate the dry cells and mercury switches?,plus the 50B Y has a 'skirt' on the case bottom to prevent withdrawal.

best

waff

Waff,
The fuze almost certainly would be as your 50Y, the extra length as you say for the batteries- but I'm no expert.

regards
Kev

Hi Paul
Your correct in that the length is the way to tell, but also in hindsight look at the construction of a genuine (50)B cppY fuze compared to the consruction of a normal (25) fuze and then look at BLU97 (25)B cpp Y fuze spot the difference?
Steve

Hi Paul
Your correct in that the length is the way to tell, but also in hindsight look at the construction of a genuine (50)B cppY fuze compared to the consruction of a normal (25) fuze and then look at BLU97 (25)B cpp Y fuze spot the difference?
Steve

Hi Steve,
If you mean a side-on view,then yes i see the difference as blu's 25 looks like a 17A type top with the little pellet holder underneath.
I cannot strip this 50B Y i have(dont want to risk it either!) .

good thread this gentlemen!

best

waff

Kev,
As for the 'double-dot',i once heard it denotes useage for the fuze in extreme cold weather(Russia etc?)
If anyone knows otherwise,then please add to this thread!

best

waff

Hi paul
No you missed the difference is the genuine Y fuzes the locating Pins were recesssed
The normal fuze the top sits on the shoulder and is secured by three screws.
steve

Hi paul
No you missed the difference is the genuine Y fuzes the locating Pins were recesssed
The normal fuze the top sits on the shoulder and is secured by three screws.
steve

I see now!

I will try and take some shots later of the ones i have. Bit of a struggle uploading multiple images as my 'adobe' loader has gone to silicone heaven.

Will be back later on this fellas.

best

waff