What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Finally saw Inglorious Basterds

Pretty damned good movie, far fetched and totally re-writes the history books. I found the movie both entertaining and amusing, which really surprised me because I think that Quentin Tarentino generally sucks as a director. Inglorious Basterds and Pulp Fiction are the only 2 films he directed that I think are any good at all. I live in a one horse 1 video store town and it took this long to get it to rent! 1 1/2 thumbs up....Dano

Last edited:
Yeah Andy, Didn't even watch the whole movie. As I get older I have gotten more simple minded, and if a plot or just following a movie in general gets to be a task I shut it off. I know there are a lot of people that say Kill Bill is great. Maybe I should watch it and lay off the Tequilla at the same time!! He is definately a different director, you know weird stuff like printing Goerring's name on the screen with an arrow pointing to him etc.... The fact is I loved Inglorious Basterds as I was shocked when they did finish off the 3rd reich in one fell swoop. That totally took me by surprise. And pulp fiction, well that was just great. I do like how Tarentino mixes in comedy in a murderous situation. Heck Andy, i'm gonna rent Kill Bill tonight and give it another chance. I do have an open mind if nothing else..Kindly...Dano

Thats gr8 Dano,
i reccon Vol 1 is the best and the music is spot on but its one hell of a spoof too, as are most of his films. Better not mention the gold watch though!!!!

Andy

Well IMO,Pulp Fiction will always be Tarantino's best work ever.
Inglorious was 'ok' i suppose?
The uniforms etc were second -to-none but i found the 'baseball bat scene' totally offensive.
I did not like the way how that character made a mockery of the german NCO's bravery and im sure if that scene involved a Brit or American soldier as the victim then there would have been an outcry..........trust me on that. :hmpf:

best

waff

Last edited:
I too saw it -

The Actor who played the SS Officer gave a chilling performance , everything else was rubbish,
I don't quite know why it was made at all. :tinysmile_cry_t2:

Hi G., I attribute it to Quentin Tarentino, the king of "I make no sense at all". However I was entertained and actually thought it was great. I guess I really liked that Hitler and his big shots all bought it...Dano

Last edited:
The Actor who played the SS Officer gave a chilling performance , everything else was rubbish,
I don't quite know why it was made at all. :tinysmile_cry_t2:

Pretty good tense scene in that underground bar when the lads get rumbled....

best

waff

I have yet to watch it. May do so soon. Got to agree with Dano. Kill Bill? I had to turn it off after about half hour, I just couldn't be bothered.

Pretty damned good movie, far fetched and totally re-writes the history books.

But Dano, that's what Hollywood always does. Rewrites history so that John Wayne, Errol Flynn or some other hero from the US film industry wins a battle the US weren't even in? Burma? Enigma? Battle of Britain? Stolen history I think is the term.

In the US you can get jailed for wearing a medal you are not entitled to. It's about time a few Hollywood directors were jailed for stealing our history.

The film got rubbish reviews over here and went pretty well straight to DVD. How it got nominated for awards on that basis I'll never know?

John

Hollywoodization

I think I know exactly what you mean John. Even when a picture is "based on a true story" you can bet it has been "Hollywoodized" in one form or another. I think that's one of the things I liked about Inglorious Basterds, the fact that the story was totally bogus and there was no guess work to figure what was fact and what was fiction. I mean crushing the 3rd reich in one fell swoop, anyway it made for interesting entertainment (to me anyway)...Dano

Thanks for taking my comments so well Dano. I thought I'd get my head bitten off! Seriously though, Hollywood playing fast and loose with history over the years has caused a lot of offence. I think we take a cynical view of it now. Mind you Kevin Costner did make a good Robin Hood film..

John

I have been trying to look at it for 3 times now but fall a sleep :xd: so it must be rubbish.

I think Gspragge said it all.
Now, The "Hurt locker" was a different story. It was actually painful to watch and I could not escape because I rode with a friend. I was stripped of 2 hours of my life that I will never get back. The fact that it is up for any award other than the razzie's is numbing............oh well, Pat

Guys, it's ENTERAINMENT not a documenatry.
If you want authenticity watch the History or Military channels.
I personally think QT's movies are the best because he's a twisted individual and I like that. I find that most people that don't like his movies just don't understand that or just can't follow them.
As far as the baseball bat scene, well the Germans did far worse to people and with my ancestors coming from Poland I almost stood up and cheered in the theater. (Sorry if this offends any of our members)
I loved the movie and I also own the dvd which is something I don't usually do. Same thing with The Hurt Locker. E N T E R T A I N M E N T.

Last edited:
Guys, it's ENTERAINMENT not a documenatry.
If you want authenticity watch the History or Military channels.
I personally think QT's movies are the best because he's a twisted individual and I like that. I find that most people that don't like his movies just don't understand that or just can't follow them.
As far as the baseball bat scene, well the Germans did far worse to people and with my ancestors coming from Poland I almost stood up and cheered in the theater. (Sorry if this offends any of our members)
I loved the movie and I also own the dvd which is something I don't usually do. Same thing with The Hurt Locker. E N T E R T A I N M E N T.

Regarding the 'scene',i could have understood it better if it was a badass SS man getting the bat... Just didnt like it as he was a regular NCO defending his men. Mind you i likes the way he looked at the tosser with the bat and said "I got this cross for bravery".

Its just a film,i know i know..!!

best

waff

Tarantino films?? Dusk 'til Dawn still a good one!

W

As JG says, they are just films with no sence of accuracy and of only entertainment value. I think QT is a great director for his unusual way of doing it. His ability of putting the right music to the film in my view is great. Damned good spoofs i say, albeit a tad violent.

Andy

Did anyone see Tom and Jerry on the cartoon channel last night? Fantastic stuff.:tinysmile_fatgrin_t More violence than any tarantino film.

Thats very tue Paul, Tom and Jerry is a very violent cartoon but at least its not so graphic as some of QTs movies and both Tom and Jerry always survive.....somehow.

Andy

The Roadrunner and Coyote with the Acme line of ordnance. Beep beep...
fastandfurryous.jpg
shv.gif