Welcome to the Inert Ordnance Collectors.
  • Login:
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,630 Times in 694 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzeman View Post
    Hi Phil
    The fuze was originally used by the German fire workers and after the war? ended its day in a German museum , which decided to clear out their stock rooms, a few years ago i aquired from the source who had the job of disposing of it .i trying to remember the museum , but the old grey matter isnt functioning tonight.
    Steve
    NoComments please lol
    WOW what an excellent job, having to dispose of all that stuff in the museum, lucky person!
    Dave.

Fuzeman
    Hi Dave
    Not as lucky as the collector who bought it all except a few items , which i aquired

Images
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzeman View Post
    Hi Phil
    The fuze was originally used by the German fire workers and after the war? ended its day in a German museum , which decided to clear out their stock rooms, a few years ago i aquired from the source who had the job of disposing of it .i trying to remember the museum , but the old grey matter isnt functioning tonight.
    Steve
    NoComments please lol
    Thanks Steve

Im sure we had this discusion at the time i brought it but as you say
    to many cobwebs forming up top and i had completely lost track of its origins

Best phil

HONOURED MEMBER RIP
    Images
    Thanks
    Hi Phil
    Steve
    NoComments please lol Yesterday 07:39 PMHi Phil
    Steve
    NoComments please lol
    Many thanks Steve for supplying background info to Phils SD2.
    Always nice to know an items history.

Better write it down Phil. lol !! - believe me, I have to !!!

regards
    Kev

Premium Member
    Images
    Thanks

example SD2

Heres one i have that has a replacement fuse
    Attached Images Attached Images

Ordnance Approved
    Thanks
    What is a SD2 with a hole in the body opposite the fuze well (with a 41 fuze).
    Is that a training version?
    Sorry on this moment no picture available.

HONOURED MEMBER RIP
    Images
    Thanks
    What is a SD2 with a hole in the body opposite the fuze well (with a 41 fuze).
    Is that a training version?
    Sorry on this moment no picture available.
    The ones with the hole in the bottom are, I believe, smoke versions. I think they were designed for testing on the range to see the spread of bombs when dropped from a container. I believe also there may have been a variety of colours of smoke, though would be interested if anyone can confirm this.

(Is the 41 the screw threaded version or the 41A bayonet type?) - I have seen both types of body with the hole in the bottom.

Also does anyone have any documentes of this smoke version?

more questions than answers, I'm afraid !!!

regards Kev

Thanks
    The one shown looks exactly like some of those SD2 which have shown up like 20 years ago. All without fuzes which likely got disposed off. People then were not able to reassemble the bombs and started their improvisations. One I saw was concrete filled and the arming spindle locked in there. The one shown above seems to ba an improved version of this. Any German instructional ammunition would be marked differently if so.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by butterfly View Post
    Also does anyone have any documentes of this smoke version?

more questions than answers, I'm afraid !!!

regards Kev

If it would be a smoke (practice) bomb the hole would be on the fuze side or at least at the sides where smoke could actually escape from. This one here might be an inert item for testing or a fuze test vehicle.

HONOURED MEMBER RIP
    Images
    Thanks
    If it would be a smoke (practice) bomb the hole would be on the fuze side or at least at the sides where smoke could actually escape from. This one here might be an inert item for testing or a fuze test vehicle.
    A lot of the bodies with the holes in the bottom originated from the Rechlin test ground, so could make sense that they were done for testing the fuzes. Would some sort of small emission be possible from the hole in the bottom to show that the fuze had functioned? (The SD2's usually came to rest on the sides)
    I had always assumed that these were smoke emitting, for test purpose, but hadn't thought that it may be for testing the fuze rather than the bombs themselves.

regards Kev

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast