What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sd2 instructional bomb

Here's a smoke version i have just recently started to restore, as you can see the outlet hole is opposite the gain pot or bottom of the fuse, the body is filled with pitch but not blocking the hole.......... Dave

View attachment 53395 HPIM5950.jpg HPIM5951.jpg HPIM5952.jpg HPIM5953.jpg HPIM5955.jpg

Should turn out nice, the body is a little pitted but a brush up on the body and a coat of red oxide should do fine, Waffy has a fuse for me, iv got the wire and wings should be a good example once iv finished....... Dave

HPIM5956.jpg HPIM5964.jpg HPIM5961.jpg

appreciate the close up shots Dave........always good to get more info on the manufacturers and inspectors stamps.

A really nice set up you will have there when you have finished. Always great to see them in such good condition.

(glad to hear waff has a fuze for you .....nice one Paul !!)

regards Kev

Although not the best image (as it has been taken from a photograph), this marking on the wing of one of my examples is pretty close to yours Dave. (the wings are the ones on the sectioned SD2 used in my Avatar)
Only a few batches between the two. (I wonder how many units were in each batch? ...... Did the batch numbers follow a set number? would be interesting to find the answer to that one!!)

regards Kev

HPIM6857.jpg

Last edited:
Many of them were found with the hole but all inert filled and nothing other so i think it wouldnt be a smoke. if it is a smoke the whole in bottom make no sense, but at the sides or on top...

I have a question regarding these 'smoke' SD2's.

First of all thought, when they are reffered to as 'smoke' I dont think they were intended to produce a lot of smoke. As John (Millsbomber) has already said, the bodies are/were filled with pitch, leaving enough room for the fuze and gaine pot, open to the bottom. (presumably the hole was sealed with wax paper or something of the kind). Now wouldn't it be possible to fill the gaine with a smoke emmitting compound, so it produced a brief 'puff' of smoke as the fuze functioned?

If indeed this is possible, then it would then indicate that these were used either for the testing of the fuzes (as EOD has suggested) or for showing the impact of fuzes on the range- without dropping 'live' versions (which in the case of the SD2 would be unwise!!)

Very interesting discussion on these..........(and thankyou for all comments made), would be nice to know for sure what these are.

regards Kev

Here's my restored one, does any one know the dimensions of the screws for the arming wire to fuse fitting,,,,, Dave

HPIM5965.jpg HPIM5966.jpg HPIM5967.jpg

Here's my restored one, does any one know the dimensions of the screws for the arming wire to fuse fitting,,,,, Dave

View attachment 53487 View attachment 53488 View attachment 53489

Excellent result! Well done!
Screws for these seem to be very hard to find.
I use the small brass ones you get in 3 pin plugs that screw the connector to the wire. The thread is correct, you just need to do a bit of work on the head as they're slightly too deep. The only problem with this is the original screws should be steel and not brass.
If anyone finds a source of the correct type of steel screw I could do with about 10.
Thanks.
Dave.

millsbomber

Very nice restoration Dave

the screws are 3mm countersunk M3 x 10

Though as SG500 has already said, not easy to find correct size for these. Usually have to cut them down to size and file off the heads to make them fit the hole in the fuze fitment.....hope this helps

regards Kev