What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sd2 instructional bomb

satan18

Hear we have a reasonable example of a butterfly bomb with
a purposely blanked of fuse section.

It still has the conventional arming spindle attached on to the fuse
top,but that is all that remains where the fuse once was.

All the springs are good and there is some minor tin worm on one of the wings.

Just thought i would give it an airing whilst sorting out some stuff.

Attachments

• SD2 Trainer 001.jpg
    SD2 Trainer 001.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 116
  • SD2 Trainer 002.jpg
    SD2 Trainer 002.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 113
  • SD2 Trainer 003.jpg
    SD2 Trainer 003.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 104
  • SD2 Trainer 004.jpg
    SD2 Trainer 004.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 100
Sd2 instructional bomb

Very nice Phil,

Always great to see them in original condition!!
Whats the story with the blanked off fuze - (you say instructional) do you happen to know anything of its history?

Thank you for showing,
regards
Kev

Very nice Phil,

Always great to see them in original condition!!
Whats the story with the blanked off fuze - (you say instructional) do you happen to know anything of its history?

Thank you for showing,
regards
Kev

Hi Kev
I purchased this from Fuzeman a wee while ago and it is one of those items which could be only asumed that it was for instructional purposes
as the blanking plate although unmarked is a very neat fit and looks to have been there for all time.

the top spindle on the plate is original and has been fitted with care
incorporating the original screws on the arming spindle.

Steve might be able to shead more light on it but from what i can remember it was an unknown quantity,But still quite nice.

Best phil

Thats a cracker my friend! :)

Plenty of original paint on it. Are you restoring it further?

cheers

waff

Hi Kev
I purchased this from Fuzeman a wee while ago and it is one of those items which could be only asumed that it was for instructional purposes
as the blanking plate although unmarked is a very neat fit and looks to have been there for all time.

the top spindle on the plate is original and has been fitted with care
incorporating the original screws on the arming spindle.

Steve might be able to shead more light on it but from what i can remember it was an unknown quantity,But still quite nice.

Best phil

Thanks for the background info Phil,

I would assume that if any SD2's were recovered they would be in great demand by all those who were likely to come across them in their line of work. So it is quite probable that the fuze was removed and blanked so that it was obvious to all that it was for training and could no way be confused with a live variety.

very interesting piece
regards
Kev

Thats a cracker my friend! :)

Plenty of original paint on it. Are you restoring it further?

cheers

waff

Hi Bud

This one will stay as it is due to the overall amount of paint remaining.
It would be to tricky to start doing any paintwork on it without having
to cover everything.

Similar to your tails it displays nicely and would probo benefit from a coat of matt laquer spray to highlight the remaining paint and help preserve
whats left:xd:

I have been pondering all day but not on the SD2 as you well know:wink:

Laters phil

I have been pondering all day but not on the SD2 as you well know:wink:

Laters phil[/QUOTE]

Oh thats all in hand my friend. ;)

Im off out on a job then i shall ring-a-ding you later. :call2:

cheers

waff

Very nice Phil, any chance of a close up of the bit where the fuze was.
You could always try the rust remover solution that I'm always banging on about - if the paint is good then soak it for 24 hours and brush with a soft toothbrush, then dry it, job done.
Dave.

Very nice Phil, any chance of a close up of the bit where the fuze was.
You could always try the rust remover solution that I'm always banging on about - if the paint is good then soak it for 24 hours and brush with a soft toothbrush, then dry it, job done.
Dave.

No prob dave will add pic very soon.

i am torn between the oxalic acid which i have just read about on the forum or the hamerite that you use,as they both seem to get very good results,and do reveal lots of hidden paint.

Best phil

Hi Phil
The fuze was originally used by the German fire workers and after the war? ended its day in a German museum , which decided to clear out their stock rooms, a few years ago i aquired from the source who had the job of disposing of it .i trying to remember the museum , but the old grey matter isnt functioning tonight.
Steve
NoComments please lol

Hi Phil
The fuze was originally used by the German fire workers and after the war? ended its day in a German museum , which decided to clear out their stock rooms, a few years ago i aquired from the source who had the job of disposing of it .i trying to remember the museum , but the old grey matter isnt functioning tonight.
Steve
NoComments please lol

WOW what an excellent job, having to dispose of all that stuff in the museum, lucky person!
Dave.

Hi Dave
Not as lucky as the collector who bought it all except a few items , which i aquired

Hi Phil
Steve
NoComments please lol

Thanks Steve

Im sure we had this discusion at the time i brought it but as you say
to many cobwebs forming up top and i had completely lost track of its origins:hmmmm2:

Best phil

Hi Phil
Steve
NoComments please lol Yesterday 07:39 PMHi Phil
Steve
NoComments please lol

Many thanks Steve for supplying background info to Phils SD2.
Always nice to know an items history.

Better write it down Phil. lol !! - believe me, I have to !!!

regards
Kev

example SD2

Heres one i have that has a replacement fuse

Attachments

• HPIM5448.jpg
    HPIM5448.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 45
  • HPIM5449.jpg
    HPIM5449.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 36
What is a SD2 with a hole in the body opposite the fuze well (with a 41 fuze).
Is that a training version?
Sorry on this moment no picture available.

What is a SD2 with a hole in the body opposite the fuze well (with a 41 fuze).
Is that a training version?
Sorry on this moment no picture available.
The ones with the hole in the bottom are, I believe, smoke versions. I think they were designed for testing on the range to see the spread of bombs when dropped from a container. I believe also there may have been a variety of colours of smoke, though would be interested if anyone can confirm this.

(Is the 41 the screw threaded version or the 41A bayonet type?) - I have seen both types of body with the hole in the bottom.

Also does anyone have any documentes of this smoke version?

more questions than answers, I'm afraid !!!

regards Kev

The one shown looks exactly like some of those SD2 which have shown up like 20 years ago. All without fuzes which likely got disposed off. People then were not able to reassemble the bombs and started their improvisations. One I saw was concrete filled and the arming spindle locked in there. The one shown above seems to ba an improved version of this. Any German instructional ammunition would be marked differently if so.

Also does anyone have any documentes of this smoke version?

more questions than answers, I'm afraid !!!

regards Kev

If it would be a smoke (practice) bomb the hole would be on the fuze side or at least at the sides where smoke could actually escape from. This one here might be an inert item for testing or a fuze test vehicle.

If it would be a smoke (practice) bomb the hole would be on the fuze side or at least at the sides where smoke could actually escape from. This one here might be an inert item for testing or a fuze test vehicle.

A lot of the bodies with the holes in the bottom originated from the Rechlin test ground, so could make sense that they were done for testing the fuzes. Would some sort of small emission be possible from the hole in the bottom to show that the fuze had functioned? (The SD2's usually came to rest on the sides)
I had always assumed that these were smoke emitting, for test purpose, but hadn't thought that it may be for testing the fuze rather than the bombs themselves.

regards Kev