What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ITALIAN 5-kg VENTO-MARKER BOMB

wichitaslumlord

Premium Member
I have had this neat little bomb for some time and only recently identified it from TM 9-1985-6 / TO 39B-1A-8. The page from this document is attached. I have never seen one of these before so I am assuming they are somewhat scarce. Any comments would be appreciated. THANKS! Pat

Attachments

• VENTO-MARKER 5-kg Italian.jpg
    VENTO-MARKER 5-kg Italian.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 154
  • vento-marker 1.jpg
    vento-marker 1.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 137
  • vento-marker 2.jpg
    vento-marker 2.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 110
  • vento-marker3.jpg
    vento-marker3.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 109
Last edited:
Hello, I thought I would bounce this to the top of the stack and see if any one had information on it such as during which time peroids they were used. THANKS AGAIN! Pat

Pat,
it was designed to be used in conjunction with chemical bombs, to indicate wind direction. Nobody had chemical bombs (other than some smoke and incendiary) in WWI. The Italians began development of their bombs in the early 1920s, using some very small models in Libya.

Italy is identified in numerous sources as having used much larger chemical bombs against Ethiopia, in conflict running from the mid-1930s into early WWII. While a number of small to mid-sized Italian bombs and submunitions have been found in Ethiopia, as well as several thousand projectiles, none have yet been identified as CW, and no Vento bombs.

Likewise a number of chemical filled bombs have been found in different areas in Italy (and destroyed), but I have never seen a Vento bomb at one of the sites or been told of one being discovered "in the wild".

A lucky find. 35 vento bomb in fair condition at a disused airport
4 of the first model and the rest of the second. Last year I also found a tail of the first model separate from the body.
20140215_113016_6 (Copia).jpg20140215_120104 (Copia).jpg20140215_112429_6 (Copia).jpg20140215_120104 (Copia).jpg

some pictures of the two models. A friend is restoring them one with the pieces found. As soon as I put the photos those too.Pictures 1/4 of the first model, the other of the secondvento bomb 1 tipo.jpgvento bomb 004 (Copia).jpgvento bomb 005 (Copia).jpgvento bomb 002 (Copia).jpgvento bomb 011 (Copia).jpgvento bomb 013 (Copia).jpgvento bomb 016 (Copia).jpgvento bomb 017 (Copia).jpg

andrea58,
Thanks for showing this nice clutch of Ventos. I had lost track of this thread. Please feel free to post the pictures of the restored ones. Thanks again, Pat