What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2" Mortar markings.

navyman

Hello all,
Can anyone help with info on the tail markings on this inert, (empty), 2" mortar? I also need a front cap for it, I'm guessing that it's either Smoke, Star, or illumination? If someone has a cap to spare I would like to buy one. The cap on my Para illumination one is too loose to fit, so I don't think it's one of those.
Thanks in advance,
Cheers,
navyman.

Attachments

• 2 inch M before work 1a.jpg
    2 inch M before work 1a.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 120
  • 2 inch M  second stamp 1a.jpg
    2 inch M second stamp 1a.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 74
  • 2 inch M before work 3a.jpg
    2 inch M before work 3a.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 80
2 inch Mortar PI

I can tell you with certainty that it is in fact a "Parachute Illumination" round due to the vent/flash holes in the angled alloy casting above the tail.

If you have a cap with an embossed "P" on it then it is the correct one,

The two vent/flash holes are covered with aluminium foil until firing, on firing the gas pressure in the mortar tube blows through the foil and ignites a slow burning pyrotechnic fuze composition which when burnt through ignites the expulsion charge and lights the flare.

Somewhere there is a thread on 2 in Mor "PI" caps.

Thanks for the information chaps,
I suspect that the reason my Para Cap with the embossed 'P' is a loose fit on this round may be because this one is an earlier type, ie; It has the alloy fins, rather than the later, (1967 dated), has the steel ones, or could it just be different manufacturers?
Have you any idea as to the markings on the alloy fins?
Very best regards,
navyman.

Attachments

• 2 inch Ms comparison  a.jpg
    2 inch Ms comparison a.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 77
mortars

The alloy finned item is ww2 issue,the caps on ally fins have a much coarser threadform than the later types. As for the tin caps good luck navyman!If anyone has some i would pay a tenner each in Gc but no one has it seems!!

2" mortar caps...

Just to let you know Tigbrand, i'm working on it and they should'nt cost you a tenner!
Can't promise and it may take some time but they are not repro...
I'll keep you posted.

All the best

T42

FD = Fry's Diecasting
42 IIII = Date of Manufacture, 1942, educated guess; April

S & W = I believe to be - Scoffin & Willmott Ltd., Barking.

Regards

TimG

Just to let you know Tigbrand, i'm working on it and they should'nt cost you a tenner!
Can't promise and it may take some time but they are not repro...
I'll keep you posted.

All the best

T42
I'd be interested if some were to turn up:tinysmile_fatgrin_t

more 2inch infos
added by spotter
These images are from book "Weapons Of The WWII Tommy " by David B Gordon also a bocn member ,David has very kindly allowed these images from his book to be used.
this book is a good source of reference material navyman ,contains lots of info on mines mortars grenades boobytrap switches etc etc ,it is out of print and copies can still be found, i believe sentimental journey may have some copies left in stock ,and also that a revised version may be out later this year
http://www.sentimentaljourney.co.uk/

Attachments

• 2inch6.jpg
    2inch6.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 82
  • 2inch5.jpg
    2inch5.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 107
  • 2inch4.jpg
    2inch4.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 82
  • 2ich3.jpg
    2ich3.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 97
  • 2inch1.jpg
    2inch1.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 72
Last edited by a moderator:
Hello sprencommando,
Many thanks for those images. I've only recently started adding 2" mortar rounds to my collection. The pictures will be a great help as it's so long ago now I can only remember dropping drill rounds into the mortar and shouting 'Bang', apart from the time that a few of us matelots were sent on an exchange for a fortnight at Chatham, where we had a great 14 days being taught how to blow things up, (in a controlled manner), I was particularly impressed when the instructors chopped off the top of a tank using only cordtex, very impressive.
PS, The pongo's who went to sea as part of the exchange were very seasick, this amused me as I also used to suffer the awfull complaint myself, hence joining the silent service, smooth as a duckpond at 100 feet, but pretty rotten on the surface!
Cheers,
navyman.

Sir, I am new to the forums and spotted this posting about the bakelite end caps for 2" mortar rounds. Do you still have any you would be willing to part with, and if so, what are you asking for one?

Thanks

Steven Cox