What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Blasting Machines

EXPLODER DYNAMO MARK VII

These would both have been made to the same standard although 5 years apart.
It was designed to fire through 150-ohms resistance.
The increased current required to fire Detonators Electric No.33 and the commercial equivalent of the time, was 15 detonators through 400 yards (365m) of double lead E.I. Mk II cable.
The exploder weighs 12.5lbs (5.7kg) and has a lift up carrying and firing handle.
The 15 detonators were fired with a 3” length of stroke, with downward pressure increasing towards the end of the stroke. To do this it was essential that the exploder was operated on a firm surface.
The Exploder MkVII was tested using the Box Fusion Test which was set to 100 ohms and if it could fuze the iridio-platinum bridge through that resistance, it was considered that it could fire 15 of the detonators in series through the 400 yards of specified double cable, with that length of stroke.
This was not necessarily the maximum capacity of the exploder, but it was a safe figure and was not be exceeded.
This was the situation by September 1942, but sometime by the end of WWII a modified Exploder Mark VII* was introduced which could fire 40 of the same detonators using the same parameters.

The only general publications of which I am aware are:

Military Engineering, Volume IV, 1934 - Chapters I to VIII inclusive.

Field Engineering Pamphlet No.7 1940.

Military Engineering, Volume IV, Part 1, Demolitions 1942 (Provisional), which superseded the other two, if it was ever produced.

The latter contained so much information about all aspects of demolitions, explosives, sabotage etc. that it would never have been on general issue and would hav.e been held at formation HQs.
Various arms such as military engineers, ammunition technical staff, assault pioneers etc. would have those parts relative to their activities included in their own publications.

Last edited by a moderator:
AE501,

You might remember these. They measured 4-in x 2.5-in x 3-in and were made by EMI (The Gramophone Company). If I remember correctly they were used with the Rapid Cratering Device. Excuse the lousy photography.

Exploder-RCD2.JPG

Interesting thread, I have these two, the small one dated 1986 and the bakelite one ? post ww2. They both work but cant find the handle for the small one. The yellow device is a tester which works. Both from a large Cornish mine. Available swap for bits on my wanted ad, Cheers Tig.

or this one from the 1970's it is in working order, I also have a Exploder condenser Mk 2 and Mk 3 as well as a working shrike and both parts of the DRFD but no code plugs.

Web Exploder Dynamo 006.jpgWeb Exploder Dynamo 001.jpgWeb Exploder Dynamo 003.jpgWeb Exploder Dynamo 004.jpgWeb Exploder Dynamo 005.jpgWeb Exploder Dynamo 008.jpgWeb Exploder Dynamo 010.jpg

The last photo show ME Vol 1V part 1 (Prov), this is my copy but I have seen one on ebay not so long ago.

Had to dig around a little and get it all together (as it should be). The lot:

blast 5.jpg

blast 4.jpg blast 7.jpg blast 2.jpg

A couple of testers:

blast 3.jpg blast 6.jpg

Sadly, the US Army 10 cap is badly corroded internally and is non functional. The "Scorpion" was ruined when a 9 volt battery went gooey and ate up the internals. The testers, I assume, still work.

Is that the Exploder Dynamo Condenser (EDC) Mks 2 and 3?

There was a brief moment in the early 1960s when DLSA obtained a blasting machine called a Nippon Kayaku T50 for demolition use.
It was red and the firing leads plugged into the bottom. On top was a there position handle, OFF, firing , charging. To charge it turn the handle anti clockwise, through 'firing', to 'charge', then back clockwise to the centre 'firing position.
Its major failing was that if you changed your mind and wanted to switch it off, you went back through firing to off and if you had not removed the leads, you fired it.
This was not a very safe system and was rapidly disposed of, back to the EDC Mk2.

Last edited:
N

I think I have got one somewhere.
I have definitely got one of the devices without the legs.

Last edited:
The Mk 2 is in the leather case and the Mk 3 come in a stiff canvas case, plus one of my shrikes.

Web Mk 2 & Mk 3 003.jpgWeb Mk 2 & Mk 3 004.jpgWeb Mk 2 & Mk 3 005.jpgWeb Mk 2 & Mk 3 006.jpgWeb Mk 2 & Mk 3 007.jpg

I also have an SBC5 mains battery charger for the shrike.

'N'
I said I had one somewhere. Exploder Alternating Current L1A2 for Kit Rapid Cratering.
From your old stamping ground.

Attachments

• Expr. Rapid Cratering  L1A2 - 1.jpg
    Expr. Rapid Cratering L1A2 - 1.jpg
    293.2 KB · Views: 27
Hi @AE501,
an alternating current mashine I have never seen before. I would like to get one like that.
Regards,
Bellifortis.

Hello Friends,

here my last catch, it´s a Chinese made Model 63 capacitor blasting machine (which seems to be a design copy of the Russian Type KPM-1-Familly).
The only things that I can get from the rating plate is so far 1500V Ignition-Voltage, made in the year of 1966, Serial-No. 0303.
Most recently also used as a supply for the Vietnam War.
Any additional info welcome.

Best regards, Ralf

s-l1600 (5).jpgs-l1600 (6).jpgs-l1600 (2).jpgs-l1600 (3).jpgs-l1600 (4).jpgs-l1600 (8).jpgs-l1600 (9).jpgs-l1600 (10).jpgs-l1600 (11).jpgs-l1600 (11).jpgs-l1600 (12).jpg

Last edited:

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220523-091534_Google.jpg
    Screenshot_20220523-091534_Google.jpg
    217.1 KB · Views: 13
  • Screenshot_20220523-091853_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20220523-091853_Samsung Internet.jpg
    213.4 KB · Views: 16
  • Screenshot_20220523-091833_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20220523-091833_Samsung Internet.jpg
    212.9 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Hello Dronic69,

sorry for my late reply - work did keep me quite busy the last days.
Thank You very much for this great support and very needy App ! :smile:
I see already the next project comming where I will try Arab language ... pictures will come soon.

Best regards, Ralf

Hello Friends,

here as promissed the next machine that I bought in an auction.
I am looking for MANUFACTURER / DESIGNATION of Machine / Verification of Manufaturer-Country Iraq.
Maybe some bring-back-item.

Here the facts:
- comes in a set with real-leather carrying pouch (loopbelt and carrying-handle) and instruction paper
- battery-operated
- neither markings nor rating-plate on the machine itself
- quality: not made for eternity - parts look like bought at Radio Shack / latch of leather-pouch broken + the inside laminate of theleatherpouch had to be re-glued in position (glad that all parts were still there)
- in the hood of the pouch there is a loop for (missing) further acessoiries - maybe a testing device - which would explain the socket on the machine ...
- note that the drawing in the instructions does vary in some details - maybe an indication that this type of machine had been used over a longer period and changed over the time.

It would be great if somebody could come up with further information or the verification.

Thank You.

Best regards, Ralf

002 (1)Operating Instructions.jpg1a._Manufacturers Lable.jpg3Drawing similar - but not identical.jpgP1170562.jpgP1170563a.jpgP1170566a.jpgP1170564b.jpgP1170567.jpgP1170568.jpgP1170574.jpgP1170577.jpgP1170583.jpgP1170584.jpgP1170585.jpgP1170588.jpgP1170578.jpgP1170579.jpgP1170581.jpg