Welcome to the Inert Ordnance Collectors.
  • Login:
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    ORDNANCE APPROVED/Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,029 Times in 1,164 Posts
    Sorry about that, I tried a cut and paste from wikipedia but the hyperlinks went wild. Let me try again. I'm trying to rant about people using Wiki as a technical reference.

Wikipedia is a nice starting point for preparing to do research, but with all due respect, it is not research. It is not a technical reference and should not be used as one. Any clown can put stuff on Wikipedia knowing nothing and not being held accountable. Just because you read it there means absolutely nothing. This is one of the flaws of the internet. You have numerous people, on this site as well, who read something on Wiki and treat it like it is gospel, then pass it on to others as the truth. Here is the truth, from Wikipeidia itself, keep this in mind when you use them as a reference:

Wikipedia is written collaboratively by largely anonymous internet users who write without pay. Anyone with internet access can write and make changes to Wikipedia articles. Users can contribute anonymously, under a pseudonym, or with their real identity, if they choose, though the latter is discouraged for safety reasons.

Every contribution may be reviewed or changed. The expertise or qualifications of the user is usually not considered.

This comes from "About Wikipedia" on the left side of the page you linked to.

I realise that there is not a lot of info quickly available, but too many people are not doing real reasearch anymore, they are taking the easy way out and using trash references. Don't be that person.
    All dug or live ordnance shown in my posts is under EOD control and has been or will be dealt with accordingly by EOD personnel

Ordnance Approved
    Images
    Thanks
    I agree completely, Wiki can be a starting or entertainment reading point for identifying an item or historical event, however should not be quoted without reservation when reputation or technical accuracy are at stake. Several times I have found inaccuracies, outright speculation and old wife's tales on Wiki.
    "Any Ordnance Items Shown In My Post(s) Have Been Dealt With Accordingly By EOD Personnel"

Images
    Thanks
    Then I guess I was right the whole time from my research.

Ordnance Approved
    Images
    Thanks

Blu44a/b self destruct

THE BLU44A/B(SELF-DESTRUCT) HAS A NOMIAL LIFE OF 84 HOURS, AND SELF DESTRUCTS BETWEEN 14 AND 35 DAYS. THE SELF DESTRUCT CAPSULE OF THE BLU 44A/B CONTAINS CUPROUS CHLORIDE AND SODIUM BOROHYDRIDE. THE SODIUM BOROHYDRIDE REACTS WITH THE METHANOL AND WATER IN THE EXPLOSIVE, TO PRODUCE HYDROGEN GAS. THE HYDROGEN GAS CREATES SUFFICIENT INTERNAL HYDRAULIC PRESSURE TO FUNCTION THE FUZE. IF THE MINE FAILS TO SD, HYDRAULIC PRESSURE WILL RUPTURE THE MINE HOUSING OR FORCE THE HYDROGEN GAS OR THE EXPLOSIVE MIXTURE OUT THROUGH A SMALL HOLE (FLAW) IN THE MINE. IF THE EXPLOSIVE MIXTURE REMAINS IN THE MINE, STERILIZATION WILL BE AFFECTED BY THE CUPROUS CHLORIDE.

FILLER; FUEL; NITROMETHANE/NITROETHANE 8grams

SENSITIZER; PROPYLENE DIAMENE/ METHANOL 1 gram

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,307 Times in 755 Posts
    BLU45Bob,

Thanks for the information. Nice Avatar!
    ___HAZ/
    _____/ORD Hazardous Ordnance Recognition
    ________Saving Lives Through Education

Thanks
    Some more history behind 'Igloo White' that operated out of Nakhon Phanom, Thailand;

http://www.airforce-magazine.com/Mag...1104igloo.aspx

My father was stationed there in 1966-67 as an U.S. Air Force Air Commando while the Navy was just starting the program, flying P-3s to drop the sensors.

ORDNANCE APPROVED/Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,029 Times in 1,164 Posts
    I'm doing some work on identifying the sensors used during this and other operations. Not a lot of straightforward info so far, and what is held at the AF Air Armament Museum has been muddled a bit (good items, but identification has been mixed up over the years and is in doubt). I've found some good historical photos at the National Archives, I hope to get them sorted in the next month or two and add them to the database.

Not really sure whether to treat them as submunitions or not, they had special dispensers built for some of them, but some models could be tossed out by hand, or they could be dropped individually off the wing like bombs. More to come.
    All dug or live ordnance shown in my posts is under EOD control and has been or will be dealt with accordingly by EOD personnel

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,217 Times in 652 Posts
    Thank you all very much for the info. Especially blu45bob for the info about the SD mechanism and SD times .
    Regards DJH

@ US-Subs. I try not to, but it's very hard to get any reliable info about ammo....... Even the TM manuals have mistakes in them. This can be quite a problem when you want to change a piece of ammo into a cutaway model.
    Last edited by pzgr40; 3rd March 2010 at 10:11 AM.
    Looking for / Suche noch:
    -8,8cm Pzgr.40.
    -8,8cm D (drahtsperre)

Thanks
    Have been to both the old and new AF armament museum at Eglin AFB. I have a picture somewhere with the different versions of sensors lined up. I am surprised that there has not been a better reference for them up to now. I look forward to seeing your results.

Regards,
    Alan

Images
    Thanks
    alan,

that is a great article about Igloo White and very truthful at that. Thanks again.

V40

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast