What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

.22" tracer box

smle2009

Hi everyone,
picked up this box for .22" tracer rounds,manufactured in Isreal(IMI),but is over stamped "FOR H&K CONVERSION" does anyone have any info as to what this refers to
Cheers
Tony

Attachments

• P3010005.JPG
    P3010005.JPG
    82.7 KB · Views: 45
.22 tracer

No, no, no. Look at the label, it says "I.M.I. (K)" which is Imperial Metal Industries (Kynoch). This was the name of the company after I.C.I. separated it out as a separate company.

This is a box of British military tracer for use in the Heckler & Koch .22 conversion for the L1A1 (SLR) rifle.

Details are here if you scroll down the page.

http://www.rifleman.org.uk/FN_Self_Loading_Rifle_L1A1.htm

Regards
Tonye

Thanks TonyE,
I certainly missed that one!,were these rounds different to normal 22LR(tracer) and the boxes marked up H&K ect to show this?
Cheers
Tony

.22lr

I don't think so, perhaps they just marked them up that way.

I will try to find out.

Cheers
TonyE

Sort of related...
When doing some pistol training in Israel, we had some boxes of British .22 tracer ammo, with "E" headstamps. The English label had a Hebrew overstamp that said "For Beretta Pistols Only". I wish I had kept the box, but I wasn't really into .22s them, not that I am now.

For jonnyc - I believe the `E' headstamp referred to Eley Kynoch, a UK manufacturer.
For Tony - H & K .22 inch sub calibre conversion kits were used with the SLR, as Tony says. I used one a number of times in training on an indoor 30 metre range. I'm not sure how it worked, but a film was shown on a screen and there were movable paper sheets behind the screen. The idea was that once the `enemy' on the film had been shot at, the film and paper sheets could be re-wound and with backlighting it was possible to see whether the firer was on target - a cheap and safe way to train.

Hello,
I picked up an empty 100 round .22 box on a range. The lable was marked diagonally in green type TRACER. This was in about 1963 when I was a cadet. The box was lost years ago and I never had the opportunity to dis-assemble one to see how they worked. I'm sure one of you will tell me or perhaps even show a diagram?
Cheers,
navyman.

Last edited:
Tracer

The .22 tracer worked much like any other tracer. There is a cavity in the base of the bullet filled with the tracing composition that is ignited by the propellant when the round is fired.

The only small diffence is that the in the .22 the tracer composition is placed directly in the lead core and not in a separate copper container as in say a 7.62mm bullet.

Regards
TonyE

Thank you Tony,
I had a feeling you would be quick off the mark on that question! I've often wondered if tracer composition is detrimental, (corrosive), to the bore of the rifle?
Cheers,
Guy.