What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ambitious no19 restoration

great job mate keep up the good work . whats going to be your next project .
thanks shaun

Thanks Guys...Next project...well theres a 3in mortar bi-pod that is in need of some repair work for myself and a Spring Clip for a No3 "light Saber" to sort for a mate....always interested in potential projects if they crop up ;-)

Regards
MG34NZ

What a fantastic thread.
I would just like to congratulate MG34NZ on his sympathetic restoration, it just goes to show what can be done with patience and understanding.
magnificent work, you should be very proud!!

kindest regards
Kev

Thanks for the compliments Kev,much appreciated,Im pleased you find this of interest

Todays effort was making a start on the striker "umbrella" tops,unlike the previous pair I did I was not afforded the luxury of having the top parts being used as part of the candlesticks this time around so that left me with a simple enough looking part to try and replicate but when you take a close look its actually quite a complex little item that would have been press formed in one piece originally,so lacking the original machinery and dies to make these on I started with a bit of weathered mild steel scrounged out of the rubbish (originally part of an enormous oven) and proceeded to cut holes in it with a 2" hole saw that left me with a holey bit of plate and a stack of metal discs picked out of the cutter that are super close to the original size.
Then it was back to the drawing board for forming the center hole which will eventually butt up to the striker stem via a rivet in a similar fashion to the genuine article, to achieve this without distorting the disc beyond what was required I machined a very simple male and female die to allow me to punch the former I made through the hole previously made by the center drill of the hole saw while retaining the shape of the disc and keeping the dished center hole uniform,worked a treat and the next step will be forming the curve of the umbrella using another yet to be dreamed up former....

Heres a few pics of my crude die and the result of "stage 1" of the forming process

Regards
MG34NZ

Attachments

• Stuff 044.jpg
    Stuff 044.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 24
  • Stuff 043.jpg
    Stuff 043.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 21
  • Stuff 042.jpg
    Stuff 042.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 25
Thanks Dano and Paul :top: LOL grenade factory....may as well be!

Today I played with the umbrella tops for the striker again,first job of "stage two" was to machine some mild steel down to around 10mm OD then bore a 6mm hole through it before parting off 2mm thick sections to weld inside the recess of the previously made discs,this is where the top will be riveted to the striker stem.
A careful tig weld had them securely fixed in place.Then it was time for the dreaded curve to be put into the disc,in an effort to achieve the desired result I machined up another crude but effective die that held the flat disc central as I pressed the disc down into the concave recess I machined into the die,I used a small socket from my socket set between the press ram and the disc as it was an ideal fit over the raised center part ensuring this wasnt damaged and spread the load evenly during the pressing operation.
The result surprised me when I made a few measurements as its very very close to the original and will look right at home on the completed grenades.I had visions of this being a total disaster from the start of the project so it was a real relief to get such a good result!

Next week I hope to make the striker housings which will be done the same as my first restoration so I wont bore you with the detail again,hope to update again when I can fit the strikers into the housings.

Regards
MG34NZ

Attachments

• Stuff 045.jpg
    Stuff 045.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 29
  • Stuff 046.jpg
    Stuff 046.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
Here we are again....
I thought I would expand a bit on the ageing method I previously mentioned that gives the brass a nice patina using vinegar.

The pics show the result of a 24 hour treatment on the newly machined striker housings,one is untouched as a "control" example to give a better idea of the end result.

The container is a mystery object pilfered from the kitchen cupboards at risk of life and limb...shhhh dont tell the Mrs! I have absolutely no idea what its for on the domestic scene but to me its the ideal vessel to hold a bit of vinegar and keep brass items suspended above the liquid while they age gracefully.

A few more bits to put in the "graceful ageing apparatus" tonight and with a bit of luck in a few more days time there will be a couple of complete restored No19 grenades to display

Cheers
MG34NZ

Attachments

• grenades 011.jpg
    grenades 011.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 18
  • grenades 013.jpg
    grenades 013.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 25
  • grenades 014.jpg
    grenades 014.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 32
all the parts are basically finished for the latest restoration effort and before final assembly and detailing I thought it may be of interest to show all the separate bits and pieces that go into restoring a No19,The only original part pictured is the No19 body,everything else has been newly made,fuse well is shown as a completed unit and also in "parts" form as is the striker,the handle has its metal collar fitted and also has a collar beside it.

Further to the above posting with the vinegar giving brass a nice aged patina,I had the strikers sitting in the "graceful ageing apparatus" overnight and it also does the same for mild steel so well worth remembering if you have new parts that require a slight patina to make them look more authentic.

Next pics will be the finished job....I hope to find the time over the weekend.

cheers
MG34NZ

Attachments

• grenades 024.jpg
    grenades 024.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 39
Very interesting restoration

Not being a "Grenade" enthusiast myself I had not looked very carefully at this thread in the past-until now.
I actually wish I had looked a lot more closely. :s:

What a fascinating restoration/production job this has been and with very worth while results at the end.

Thank you for sharing the "labour of love" with us all and congratulations on a splendid outcome.

My No19

Thought it was about that I prove to MG34NZ that I have actually finished of my No19 thanks to his magnificence machining skills and just being an all round good mate

THANKS ANDREW:wink:

Attachments

• no 19 by mg34nz.jpg
    no 19 by mg34nz.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 27
Daryl,
it was no problem at all to help out one of my "ANZAC" brethren and a bloody good bloke to boot,I enjoyed the challenge and appreciate the donation of your second body to kick start the whole process.Its great to see all the bits fitted to your grenade body!
One of these days we will get together for a beer or two :tinysmile_twink_t:

Cheers
Andrew

Well Guys here they are at last,

The latest two No19's are done! Pics show them alongside the previously restored example (the twin to 25thaprils grenade posted above) and the very nice original Im so fortunate to have on loan...now the jobs done it can go "home" again

What a job,unlike the first effort the last two were a major undertaking requiring sleeving out top and bottom to repair stripped out threads and strikers made from scratch,its been a great challenge but an enjoyable one at that, necessitating learning a couple of new skills and techniques which will be invaluable for future projects.

I hope to see some more grenades grace this thread as theres a few parts to finish off which will see a couple more N019's completed in others collections as well.

To all who took the time to show an interest and add their encouragement and compliments to the thread,thank you for your interest and positive comments I really appreciate the feedback

Cheers
MG34NZ

Attachments

• grenades 121.jpg
    grenades 121.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 47
  • grenades 123.jpg
    grenades 123.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
Andrew,

they look fantastic, be well proud of what you have done.
Your restorations and how its should be done are an example to us all.

Well done bud.

andy

fully restored No19

back home and restored back to its original glory thanks to andy no longer looks like a candle stick . keep up the good work andrew your a star could never of done it without your help

thanks shaun

Attachments

• PICT0023.jpg
    PICT0023.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 24
Looks great Shaun,

Andrew is a master of restoration, no doubt about that at all.

Well done.

Andy

The great restoration work I have seen done by BOCN members (especially Andrew and the No 19's) has changed my attitude on restoration altogether. I still love relic pieces mind you but now dabble with mostly minor stuff (making a grenade fuze, aging paint and cleaning etc.....) When I see the kind of pain staking tedious labor it takes (such as is the case in these No19's) it is truly a labor of love. Since I joined BOCN my opinion on several things has changed. I used to think sectioning was ruining a perfectly good piece, but have since changed my outlook on that when I see some of the beautiful sections you guys pull off. I may be set in my ways a bit, but I guess you can teach an old dog new tricks. I want to take on an artillery fuze section but have not been able to bring myself to cut one yet. Guess I start with a "junker" to practice on. Dano

Great to see your well traveled No19 back "home" Shaun, Im so pleased it meets your expectations and a big thank you to you for entrusting me with the restoration and for supplying the "candle sticks" themselves.

Regards
Andrew