What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unidentified shell

Yodamaster

Ordnance approved
Hi everybody,
I need some help to identify a shell that I found tuesday.
I've no idea of his nationality.
Length : +/- 348 mm
Diam : +/- 138 mm (+/-5,5 inch)
Driving band width : +/- 2 cm
Distance between bas and band : +/- 2 cm
Two markings on the base :
first : JH N 315
second : a M or W in a circle

see the pics hereby

Shell was found in Antwerpen harbor. Somebody an idea ???

Attachments

• Obus-01.JPG
    Obus-01.JPG
    51.9 KB · Views: 194
  • Culot-01.JPG
    Culot-01.JPG
    67.2 KB · Views: 182
Somethings forgotten, after disposal, we have can see it was a AP-HE or SAP if you will.

nice find yodamaster looks like it hit something quite hard sorry cant help with the identification

regards lee

Hi all, this shell is always unknown ! Can somebody help me today ?
The only similar base plate I found is this French (see pics). The dimensions of the shell are also approx similar.

Yoda

Attachments

• Doc française-02.jpg
    Doc française-02.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 69
  • Doc française-03.bmp
    35.3 KB · Views: 44
Brittisch? Due to the use of type indentifier "No". French used MDLe, German used nothing, jus the fusenumber.Austria used M etc. However your baseplate looks simular too compared with the French shell.

Brittisch? Due to the use of type indentifier "No". French used MDLe, German used nothing, jus the fusenumber.Austria used M etc. However your baseplate looks simular too compared with the French shell.
It's another possibility, effectively, but what should N°315 refer to ? Generally, the fuze designation is engraved on the fuze, not on the shell and I don't known a British shell designation with a N° !
Looking on the find location (Antwerpen harbor) and on the general AP shape of the shell, do you have knowledge of a navy 5,5inch ?

Yoda

Last edited:
Could it be naval 5.25"?

5.25shell.jpg

Attachments

• QF_5.25_inch_SAP_shell_AK_Mk_II_CT.jpg
    QF_5.25_inch_SAP_shell_AK_Mk_II_CT.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
Just thought it was in the size/shape arena.
I have seen pointed shells of this sort of size when recovered from the sea or acidic environments, where the point has actually rusted off, forming a rounder profile. Makes ID even harder.

Hi everybody,
I need some help to identify a shell that I found tuesday.
I've no idea of his nationality.
Length : +/- 348 mm
Diam : +/- 138 mm (+/-5,5 inch)
Driving band width : +/- 2 cm
Distance between bas and band : +/- 2 cm
Two markings on the base :
first : JH N� 315
second : a M or W in a circle

see the pics hereby

Shell was found in Antwerpen harbor. Somebody an idea ???
simaler cut in the fuze base.JPGFRANCE 138.JPG
Hi i got a good photo of the base of the France shell you posted its not that at all but the base of the 8in british is almost the same wrong size of course but its the base layout im getting at so for me its British