What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Not sure on this cutaway fuze

I said probably, the N6 needs checking, it could be a 90 series fuze. With a Mk 1 in the designation at this date (Army was using L series notation by this time) it is certainly Naval and the SR is an inspector's mark at Springfield Road (long since closed).

I have an N6 MK 1 drill fuze and it looks nothing like Clives fuze.

Cheers,
Andy

I said probably, the N6 needs checking, it could be a 90 series fuze. With a Mk 1 in the designation at this date (Army was using L series notation by this time) it is certainly Naval and the SR is an inspector's mark at Springfield Road (long since closed).

Bonnex, appolagies for jumping the gun lol. Series 90 was the number i could not remember, that was the original fuze i sold a fair while back. If i remember correctly that one had the letters BN as well ???? My memory really isnt that great at present.
But looking more closely, it has three dimples on the other side of the section.Could poss be the Number 3.

Andy, cheers for your post as well mate,

Regards,

Clive.:tinysmile_hmm_t:

A VT (virtual time) fuze is a proximity fuze,set off by vibration I think!

Cheers,
Andy

VT is generally referred to as "variable time" and the fuze shown appears to be a radio frequency proximity fuze (the coil in the nose).

EMI Fuze 1973

Did have one almost identical to yours except in poor condition.

Naval Proximity Fuze marked only with EMI 12/73 Lot 48

Presumably made at the Hayes plant in Middlesex.

Attachments

• prox fuzeN.JPG
    prox fuzeN.JPG
    23.5 KB · Views: 22
Yes that def looks identical to the fuze itself. So we all agree on Naval, now its the case of trying to put a type on it. Thats if thats poss being experimental. We could have reached the end of the line ??????

Here's my N6 drill fuze,as you can see,it looks nothing like Clives!

Cheers,
Andy

Attachments

• N6 MK1 DRILL FUZE.JPG
    N6 MK1 DRILL FUZE.JPG
    88.5 KB · Views: 25
Cheers for that Andy. Very short base on that one, its def the same kind of type as Chris has posted. Cheers for letting me see it mate.

Your fuze looks similar to an L27 proximity fuze but may be something else. Info from my basic course in 1979 re what proximity fuzes were used in UK land service and the ammo/equipments they were used with is as follows:
L14 - Shell 25 Pr HE
L21 - Shell 25 Pr HE
L23 - Shell 5.5 in HE
L27 - Shell 105 mm FD HE Mk 2 System
L36 - Rd 105 mm HOW HE & Shell 105 mm FD HE Mk 1 System
L62 - Rd 105 mm HOW HE & Shell 105 mm FD HE Mk 1 System
L66 - Rd 105 mm HOW HE & Shell 105 mm FD HE Mk 1 System
L78 - Projectiles 155 mm HOW HE long intrusion & 175 mm HE M437A2
M513 - Rd 105 mm HOW HE
M514 - Projectiles 155 mm HOW SP M109 & 8 in HOW M2

Proximity fuzes of the same model could operate on different frequencies. Frequencies were denoted by fuzes having different suffixes and colour codes eg L14A1C coloured blue, where `C’ and blue denoted the fuze frequency. Confusingly the suffix and colour combinations were not standard. Please keep this in mind if you think you have an `experimental’ fuze.

VT (variable time) proximity fuzes were the first type to be introduced, by the USA. Radio waves were transmitted by the fuze and reflected off a target back to the fuze. The transmitted and received radio wave interactions, known as the `ripple beat’ caused the fuze to function when they reached a predetermined intensity ie at a set distance from target. Self destruct and percussion elements may be fitted. VT fuzes were susceptible to electronic countermeasures (jamming) and could also function when in close proximity to an object other than the intended target.

CVT (controlled variable time) proximity fuzes were similar to VT fuzes but incorporated a clockwork mechanism to arm the fuze after a set period of time, and begin the transmission and receipt of radio waves. The clockwork mechanism was therefore a delay to arming and reduced a fuze’s susceptibility to jamming and early burst when passing over raised ground etc.

I hope this helps.

Thank you very much for the info.Very interesting. Thanks for taking the time to post it mate.
My one does has a clockwork timer in the base end/gain area.
Best regards,
clive.

The clockwork part could mean it is a CVT fuze then. Seeing that yours ends in `...6 Mk 1' I would guess it may be for shell of another service, possibly navy, or is a pre `L' series model number. But as I say, it is similar to an L27, perhaps a naval equivalent of the same era (assuming it's British), I'm guessing 1950s - 1970s. The series of plates in the middle are actually a lead acid battery, energised with acid when the shell is fired. A neat idea to ensure the power was available when needed and no problems with battery shelf life. Thanks for showing it Clive. XT

Given the existence of the 'TVT' component as the Navy would refer to it the extract from a 1965 'fuzes in supply' list might be helpful:

Fuze Gun Shell Remarks

N.96 4.5-inch HE & Practice AA VT/TVT Fuze: going out of service

Good morning all,
Many thanks Ammotechxt and Bonnex. It has been a very interesting journey with this one. As my knowledge,limited that is only stays around German WW2 items, this has been extremly interesting.
The fuze itself, nothing like what i am used to dealing with, how intrecate inside and i know have a little more understanding on how it functioned. You guys have broadened my knowledge and made an item more interesting than what i originally thought. It will make a nice item to those who collect this era.
Thanks ever so much again all, Its been great.

Very best regards,

Clive.

I think they were known as CVT (Controlled Varible Time), and yes, a proximity fuze. Transmitted a signal to the target which bounced back and function at a pre determined hight above the ground. It was also called a Long Intrusion Fuze. One had to remove an explosive "booster" from the projectile before fitting this type of fuze. Now they are all standard size as you know. I could be wrong but that is my pick.

If it helps with a positive ID there is also a marking at the bottom,which is, L1A1 BE 56.

Does anyone have any ideas now please?

Cheers,
Andy

Bumping this back to the top,maybe one of our new members may know the designation?

Cheers,
Andy

VT Proximity Fuzes;

the VT fuze is an A/A and sendsout an active radio signal and when the echo back to the receiver part of the fuze is of desired time (distance) then it detonates the fuze. Normally fitted with a self destroying feature to protect neignboring ships after a miss.
Initially is was classified secret for obvious reasons.
regards,
John
Oops, sorry I missed Ammotech's posting.

Last edited by a moderator: