What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

lead

2pounder

Premium Member
not really restoration, but how can I 'age' shiney lead to make it look old. I have cast and turned some replica 1in bullets for aimimg rifle cases and want them to dull down. I thought I might try drinking lots of real ale and standing them in the waste product to see if that works but would like tips from others first. Ta. 2pr

Hi,

i would just leave them for a while and they will oxidise on their own. It dosnt take long and they will darken. However i would certainly take up drinking lots of real ale whatever the reason, dont need an excuse to do that.

Andy

Just a thought, if you are replicating something that was originally made from lead, when new, they too would have been 'bright' metal so i cant see a problem with leaving them to 'age' naturally.

Andy

Take the advice of the others, let nature take it's course and drink plenty of beer to take your mind off the problem.
In fact I'll have one myself to check the theory!
Cheers,
navyman.

Moth balls

I have been told never to store lead tipped bullets anywhere near mothballs as it reacts to the lead causing oxidization You could try placeing one lead tip in a plastic bag with a mothball and see how quick it ages it. I havn't tried it but it might just give you that aged look without the cost of ale.
PS Be gentle with the moth when you remove his balls lol

Regards Daryl

Never mind that,
Go for the ale and save a moth, after all we have to be 'PC' these days.
Mmm think another is order.......
Cheers,
navyman.

I'm sure you're all aware of this guys but if you handle or work with lead, being a toxic metal you can inhale fumes, inhale dust or absorb it through your skin. Just make sure you wear gloves as a minimum. If you taste a metallic taste in your mouth a day or 2 after you've worked on lead it means you've absorbed some into your body. Not something to be paranoid about but be careful. Sanding it down is a bad idea and if you find the white lead oxide that gets airborne easily and inhaled so wear a mask that works with toxic dust and fumes.
Just a thought.
Dave.

lead thanks

Thanks for all the advice, thought the beer option would get some interest. Got some spare bits of shiny lead will do some trials incl. moth balls. Feel its too late for me and lead piosoning as have been making fishing weights, bullets, and collecting scrap for many years but now wear a mask ( and glasses and gloves) when melting it and always wash hands afterwards. Will post results ot trials later. 2pr

patination oil

Yep patination oil, had never heard of it but reading a contractors tender to us he mentioned it, its what roofers use on lead flashings to make them look good, even coloured and stop white powdery oxidation. All I've got to do now is get a small amount free.
2pr