What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

First go at a No.36 cutaway

turpin42

Hi all
After looking at all the fantastic mills cutaways on the site, finally grew a pair and had a go...
Got a hold of a slightly grotty No.36 and it went better than i thought.
Cut the body with an angle grinder with a 1 mm blade and the alloy centre tube with a fine metal handsaw.
The filler plug had a hole drilled through the middle so had to repair it with metal filler.
The base plug has been really abused and only No.36 M MkI is readable.
The body is marked M.
Have a question about whats left of the markings on the outside.
On the most No.36 i've seen there is the green stripe round the middel of the body with red crosses at the top. On this one the green band is on the lower sections and the crosses directly above. Does this mean anything?
The lever has been painted yellow and dark grey over that. Does this mean anything?

Any help greatly appreciated.
All the very best

T42

Attachments

• 36 Cutaway.jpg
    36 Cutaway.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 228
  • 36 Cutaway2.jpg
    36 Cutaway2.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 154
Hi buddy,

looks like a good job well done. Very impressive. You have done something i would not attempt as i would make a right cock up ime sure.
I am sure i have heard on the forum before that the positioning of the markings on the gren could be of Canadian origin. I could be wrong though.

Andy

No.36

Hi Andy
I was worried before i started but it went fine. Did the cutaway no.69 a while back but really thought this time the metalwork would be difficult.
You should give it a go :tinysmile_twink_t:
Canadian... hmm maybe i should have checked before cutting!

Thanks again
T42

No.36 cutaway

Hi Paul
Thanks for the info.
Didn't notice the paintwork until i cleaned it up after cutting.
I'll know better next time!

All the best
T42

No.36 cutaway

PIAT round is next...:tinysmile_twink_t2:
I've got some good drawings of the internals, but if anyone has any info that might help, please get intouch.

All the best
T42

Hi T42,
Another stunning job, you said you cut the body of the gren with a thin cutting disk, how and what did you use to get such a flawless finish on the cut surfaces ?
Thank you for sharing it with us, i cant help with any info on the Piat but i look forward to seeing the result.
Best Weasel.

Cutaway mills

Hi Weasel
Good to hear from you...
Just cleaned it up with a wide flat file with fine teeth.
The metal was nice to work with.
Didn't polish or sand, just a touch of gun blue after filing to finish it off.
Went a lot better than i thought, or maybe i was just lucky!

All the best
T42

That's a fine job you've done. I was thinking of doing a no 5, but I have never done one before. I was thinking of using a hand hack saw for the body cuts but seeing yours, I may have to look for a thinner disk for my grinder and give it a try.

Looks like a real proper quarter section. The hard bit will be to find a very small lead washer to make it complete. Wish you luck there.

Andy

Attachments

• Closeup 36 section.jpg
    Closeup 36 section.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 59
Cutaway

Thanks guys.
Pointblank:
I thought about using a hacksaw but was sure the cut would start to wander as the arm gets tired and there would be a lot of filing to do. Remove the central tube first.
I used cream coloured masking tape to mark where the cut should be and just cut to the outside of the tape. It's a lot easier to see than marking a line with a pen and you can tell right away if the disc starts to wander as it starts cutting into the tape. Put it in a vice to hold it. As long as you start the cut strait and in line with the tape the thin disc kind of follows the line itself. Turn it and cut the other side. 10 minutes and the worst part is over...
The masking tape really helps.
Had to try it on this one first but now it's done wouldnt have any problems doing it again.
Give it a go mate!

All the best
T42

Lead washer

Hi Andy
The lead washer was in place when i took it apart.
Forgot to put it back in. I'll do it tonight.:tinysmile_twink_t2:

All the best
T42

You are a lucky bugger if you pardon my French. They are like hens teeth and very hard to find.
Well done once again for a very well done job.

Andy

Hi,

I am new to BOCN. I like your cutaway. The M stands for Montreal Munition in Quebec Canada. Have you ever tried to fix the hole.

Cheers

Great job, well done. Beautiful cutaway model. Thank god you did not paint the cutaway surfaces red.

Regards, DJH

Thanks guys!
I have been kicking myself for cutting the only Canadian mills i've ever had, well we learn by our mistakes :tinysmile_hmm_t:
There is a Mills no.5 somewhere on the forum that i got as an ashtray og filled the hole if thats what you mean?

I think the only red colour should (be at a push) rust...