Welcome to the Inert Ordnance Collectors.
  • Login:
    Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,219 Times in 653 Posts

Bomb Practice BDU-42/B question.

I just cut this "Bomb Practice BDU-42/B". However, I have the idea parts are missing. The screw in the base is obvious, but what was placed under the blue cap? A smoke or spotting charge?
    Who can help me on a drawing?
    Thanks in advance,
    Regards, DJH
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by pzgr40; 16th March 2010 at 11:30 PM.
    Looking for / Suche noch:
    -8,8cm Pzgr.40.
    -8,8cm D (drahtsperre)

ORDNANCE APPROVED/Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,031 Times in 1,166 Posts
    DJ,
    my books are currently floating around on the Atlantic (hopefully), but what I've got electronic suggests that what you see is what you get. No internal drawing, but:

"This is a fluted sphere consisting of a plastic case filled with inert zinc die casting. The fuze well is empty and closed with a plastic cap."
    All dug or live ordnance shown in my posts is under EOD control and has been or will be dealt with accordingly by EOD personnel

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,219 Times in 653 Posts
    Thanks US-Subs. However , why this cup in the center ? Is there also a type that has something in there? I know there is a same type of practice bomb that has a red cap (BLU-70, see big ordnance forum) instead of Blue. Any difference between the two?
    Regards , DJH
    Last edited by pzgr40; 17th March 2010 at 09:22 AM.
    Looking for / Suche noch:
    -8,8cm Pzgr.40.
    -8,8cm D (drahtsperre)

Thanks
    DJ,
    not "the same sort of practice bomb". The BLU-70 used the same outer body as the BDU, but was an incendiary submunition, using the M219E1 fuze and .8 lbs of incendiary mixture (powdered zinc, barium nitrate, lead dioxide, benzene, polystyrene and thixathol as a dispersant). Developed in the late 60s it had a short life. The one belonging to BO is the only one I've seen in person.
    All dug or live ordnance shown in my posts is under EOD control and has been or will be dealt with accordingly by EOD personnel

Thanks
    DJ,
    looking again at the photo and my own post, I would suggest that the BDU was made from remnants of the BLU program, using up remaining scraps instead of building a new BDU body. I think that this would perhaps be a better answer for your questions. JO