What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is Shipping From USA now ILLEGAL?

commachio

Premium Member
Hi Everyone,

I have recently acquired and Inert Claymore (elsewhere on this forum) which was recieved from the USA. Since then I have been trying to purchase a batch of these amongst other things but have just been informed that this is now illegal - had an email today from a dealer in the USA.

"According to the State Dept under the Obama administration, yes, inert items are also considered banned. They have also stopped bullets for sporting use, brass for sporting use, dies to make sporting ammunition, all of which used to be 100% legal until about March of 2009. Up until then, only specific calibers for war use were regulated, and even then rather loosely to allow for export to most countries (like the UK and other allies). "

Prior to this I was informed that "Whomever shipped to you was in gross violation of the US State Dept rules and laws and is very lucky it was not noticed, the minimum jail time if 15 years max of life"

I was wondering whether forum users 'stateside' could corroborate (or otherwise) this.

many thanks and regards

I'm not currently in the US, but as a US citizen this sounds like a lot of BS to me. It seems as though there is some confusion with your dealer, or in their communication to you. The one and only recent law change which I am aware of is the ban on mailing of inert items, which now means much must now go by private carrier like Fedex, DHL, etc.

Part of the tip-off is when they start to mention the State Department under the OBama Administration. This is typically a load of crap. US mail is covered by the US Postal Service which is independent from other US agencies. US State Department does not normally get involved with most of this and has little regulatory or enforcement capability. Customs and ATF may have something to say about it, remember that they do have a number of regulations in place, which have been in place for many years, even decades. Most of these are in regard to the importation of items into the US. This has been discussed in previous threads and can be found through the search function.

All of these agencies have websites and points of contact for questions. Its not hard to get to the truth if you've got a few minutes and are interested. In the past I've had excellent responses from the USPS and ATF, though I again admit that I am out of date and will need to brush up on any new changes myself.