Welcome to the Inert Ordnance Collectors.
  • Login:
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Ordnance Approved
    Thanks
    Has the Honest John been moved into the Bombatorium yet?
    ANY LIVE OR DUD ORDNANCE POSTED BY ME HAS BEEN DISPOSED OF BY EOD PERSONNEL

ORDNANCE APPROVED/Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,029 Times in 1,164 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedy View Post
    Hi

Of course you are right. My mistake, sorry.

According to "Anti-personnel Weapons" book, Lance warhead carried 860 BLU-63. Bullpup carried unspecified number of BLU-26. There's also mentioned Little John cluster warhead, with unknown number of M38/M40.
    Correct, sort of. When used from ground delivery systems there is a different designation, in this case it is the M74. BLU is an Airforce designation and does not apply to ground delivery systems. The ATACMS also carries the M74, but an unknown number. It is unknown because during the build, the warhead would be placed in an upright position, and eventually move to the filling point. At this point a chute above would open up, dumping BLU-63s into the warhead. Once it was near full the operator would stop it and push a button, the entire table would shake, moving the bomblets deeper into the warhead. They activate the chute again, fill a little more, shake the table again, till they are satisfied it is full. I had never seen such a thing and was shocked. They explained it was the most efficient way, and that the onboard computer took everything into account, so weight variences were no problem. Normal number was between 875 and 900 submunitions.

I expect when you refer to the "Anti-personnel Weapons" book you are talking about the one done by SIPRI? It is one of the more accurate, though it suffers from a couple of flaws, it was done by researchers who only saw data, no actual weapons experience, and there are no photos to aid with identification.

My reference to the Lance is about the golfballs, M32, M38 and the M40. We used to refer to the sizes of the spherical submunitions as golfballs, baseballs and softballs.

Pete, the HJ warhead is still in the basement, I'll move it and the dispensers when they finish the last bits inside (furnace/plumbing). Till then they just take up too much room - even in the Bombatorium.
    All dug or live ordnance shown in my posts is under EOD control and has been or will be dealt with accordingly by EOD personnel

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,217 Times in 652 Posts
    @ US -Subs,
    Thank you for your explanation.
    Looking for / Suche noch:
    -8,8cm Pzgr.40.
    -8,8cm D (drahtsperre)

Thanks
    Hi
    Thank you US-Subs for very interesting information about filling technology. It must be very exciting job, all day shaking thousands of bomblets
    Quote Originally Posted by US-Subs View Post
    I expect when you refer to the "Anti-personnel Weapons" book you are talking about the one done by SIPRI? It is one of the more accurate, though it suffers from a couple of flaws, it was done by researchers who only saw data, no actual weapons experience, and there are no photos to aid with identification.
    Yes, exactly this one.

Thanks
    Does anyone have anymore information on fuzes used in the BLU26, 36 and 59. I have had a BLU26 self detonate 16 minutes after the searcher had excavated it. I know that all these BLU's are externally identical.
    Definatively I would like to know the fuze designations used and the delay timings.

Thanks
    I have the data, but no time right now. If no one else provides I can get to it by this weekend, maybe earlier depending on work.
    All dug or live ordnance shown in my posts is under EOD control and has been or will be dealt with accordingly by EOD personnel

Thanks
    Send me a PM with an e-mail address.

Thanks

Suspect BLU36 or BLU 59 detonation

Guys please help. We did a demolition and 15min later an uncontrolled detonation took place any info on the 218 and 224 fuze delays

Ordnance Approved
    Thanks
    A year before I retired - was stationed at Ft SIll we ahd to clear an area so they could palce new targets. Becasue the area for just full of UXO of all kinds airdropped, Honest John and arty I elected to pick a spot repell down clear an imediate area then bring the chopper in with the rest of the team and equipment. Once on the ground I loocked around and found I was right in the middle of all kinds of baseball ICM. I was just radioing the chopper to tell them that the area was too dangerous and that I was going to work my way to a better spot when one of the ICms detonated. The blast knocked me to the ground. As I got up I could see the chopper niose drop comming toward me at a fast speed. I radio'd telling them to stay away and that I would work my way to them. When I got to the chopper and was climbing in, the medic on board grabed me rolled me over and started pulling my flak jacket and web gear off. The back of my jacket had multiple pin holes all over it and my kevlar helment had a nice big piece of frag sticking part way through right at just below where my ear would have been. Only reason I didn't get that frag in the neck was I had the helment pushed up on the left side while I was using the radio (PRC 77). Can't say for sure which BLU it was, but I really don't care. regardless I BIP them all. Fuze doesn't make any difference when you can't tell which item you have any way.

Ordnance Approved
    Thanks
    Forgogt, if you haven't gotten the fuze functioning info yet PM me

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast