What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

BLU-26/B, 36/B, 61/B, 63/B, M38/M40 M219(E1) fuze

pzgr40

Premium Member
Description of the clusterbombs (CBU / Cluster Bomb Unit):
CBU / Cluster Bomb Unit: Clusterbomb (container housing the clusterbombs)
BLU / Bomb Live Unit : Single bomb from clusterbom container

The BLU-26/B "Guava" was an air-dispensed APAM (anti-personnel/anti-material) fragmentation bomblet with 600 embedded steel fragments. The BLU-26/B had three different fuzing options. It could detonate immediately on impact, as an airburst 9 m (30 ft) above ground, or after a selectable but fixed time after impact. The externally identical BLU-36/B and BLU-59/B had random-delay fuzes.

The BLU-26/B was used as payload in the following cluster bombs:
  • CBU-23/B (BLU-26/B in SUU-31/B)
  • CBU-24/B (665 BLU-26/B or BLU-36/B in SUU-30/B)
  • CBU-24A/B (665 BLU-26/B or BLU-36/B in SUU-30A/B)
  • CBU-24B/B (665 BLU-26/B or BLU-36/B in SUU-30B/B)
  • CBU-24C/B (665 BLU-26/B or BLU-36/B in SUU-30C/B)
In 1966/67, the BLU-26/B bomblet was also evaluated as a payload for the AGM-12C Bullpup guided missile. These tests probably led to the development of the AGM-12E variant, which had an anti-personnel cluster bomb warhead using BLU-26/B bomblets.

Data for BLU-26/B:
Diameter: 64 mm (2.5 in)
Weight: 435 g (0.95 lb)
Explosive: 85 g (0.19 lb) Cyclotol

The BLU-36/B was a variant of the BLU-26/B APAM (anti-personnel/anti-material) fragmentation bomblet with a randomly timed delay fuze, i.e. it detonated at an unpredictable time after impact.

The BLU-36/B was used as payload in the following cluster bombs:
  • CBU-24/B (665 BLU-26/B or BLU-36/B in SUU-30/B)
  • CBU-24A/B (665 BLU-26/B or BLU-36/B in SUU-30A/B)
  • CBU-24B/B (665 BLU-26/B or BLU-36/B in SUU-30B/B)
  • CBU-24C/B (665 BLU-26/B or BLU-36/B in SUU-30C/B)
  • CBU-29/B (670 BLU-36/B in SUU-30/B)
  • CBU-29A/B (670 BLU-36/B in SUU-30A/B)
  • CBU-29B/B (670 BLU-36/B in SUU-30B/B)
  • CBU-29C/B (670 BLU-36/B in SUU-30C/B)
Data for BLU-36/B:

Diameter: 64 mm (2.5 in)
Weight: 435 g (0.95 lb)
Explosive: 85 g (0.19 lb) Cyclotol

The BLU-61/B was an aerially dispensed anti-material fragmentation and incendiary bomblet. It was spin-armed and detonated on impact. The bomblet consisted of two hemispheres, both with a fragmentation liner of coined steel and a liner for zirconium-tin for the incendiary effect. There was also a BLU-61A/B version, but information about the differences is not available. The BLU-61A/B was apparently the primary (and possibly only) variant used in service.

The BLU-61A/B was used as payload in the following cluster bombs:
  • CBU-52/B (217 BLU-61A/B in SUU-30B)
  • CBU-52A/B (217 BLU-61A/B in SUU-30A/B)
  • CBU-52B/B (217 BLU-61A/B in SUU-30B/B)
  • CBU-76/B (290 BLU-61A/B in SUU-51B/B)
Data for BLU-61A/B:

Diameter: 99 mm (3.9 in)
Weight: 1.2 kg (2.6 lb)
Explosive: 277 g (0.61 lb) Octol

The BLU-63/B was an aerially dispensed, centrifugally-armed, impact-fired anti-personnel/anti-material fragmentation bomblet. There was also a BLU-63A/B version, but confirmed information about the differences is not available (the -63A/B possibly had a secondary incendiary effect). The BLU-86( )/B series was externally identical to the BLU-63( )/B, but had a time-delayed fuze.

The BLU-63( )/B was used as payload in the following cluster bombs:
  • CBU-58/B (650 BLU-63/B in SUU-30A/B)
  • CBU-58A/B (650 BLU-63A/B in SUU-30A/B)
  • CBU-75/B (1800 BLU-63/B in SUU-54A/B)
  • CBU-75A/B (1420 BLU-63/B and 355 BLU-86/B in SUU-54A/B)
  • CBU-77/B (790 BLU-63/B in SUU-51B/B)
The CBU-75/B could be fitted with a KMU-421/B Paveway laser guidance kit, resulting in the GBU-2/B PAVE STORM guided bomb.

Data for BLU-63/B:
Diameter: 76 mm (3 in)
Weight: 0.45 kg (1 lb)
Explosive: 113 g (0.25 lb) Cyclotol.
The BLU-63b was also used in Army Rocket artillery like the Lance missile and ATACMS, it was than called The M74 grenade. The fuse used in these missiles was the M219E2, which differs from the M219E1 in lubricant. 300pcs of M74 grenades were packed in the warhead of the Lance missile.

The M38/M40,
A smaller version of the ball shaped clusterbombs. The bomblet is also rotation armed. 950 pcs. these bomblets were packed in the warhead of the Lance missile.
Diameter: 45 mm
No further info about grenade or fuze is available. The M38/M40 in the picture is a dummy.
The blue dummy is of an unknown type designation , however of US manufacturing
Diameter: 48 mm
An interesting piece of movie where this type of CBU’s can be seen in action:
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYXdk-qTl5U&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYXdk-qTl5U&feature=related[/ame]

Attachments

• BLU-26b.JPG
    BLU-26b.JPG
    78.4 KB · Views: 241
  • M74 in Lance warhead.jpg
    M74 in Lance warhead.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 164
  • BLU-63b.jpg
    BLU-63b.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 202
  • C-BLU-Golfbal-USA-01.JPG
    C-BLU-Golfbal-USA-01.JPG
    38.9 KB · Views: 161
  • C-BLU M48-USA-01.JPG
    C-BLU M48-USA-01.JPG
    49.3 KB · Views: 144
  • C-BLU-63 or M74.JPG
    C-BLU-63 or M74.JPG
    72.7 KB · Views: 152
  • C-BLU-61.jpg
    C-BLU-61.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 160
  • BLU-63b or M74.JPG
    BLU-63b or M74.JPG
    93.5 KB · Views: 215
  • BLU-61b.jpg
    BLU-61b.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 214
  • BLU.JPG
    BLU.JPG
    90.7 KB · Views: 254
Last edited:
M219(E1) fuze

Description of impact fuze M-219(E1);

The fuze exists of an upper (1) and lower body (2). The fuze is rotation armed. After relaese from the CBU (Clusterbomb container) or missile the ribs (flutes) on the outside of the body of the clusterbomb start to cause rotation untill the clusterbomb rotates very fast.

The lower body (1) houses the rotation safety shutter (3), the spring loaded centrifugal safety segments (4), the firing cap (5) and the detonator (8). When rotating fast, the four centrifugal weights that lock the rotation safety shutter in safe position are thrown outward, overriding the springs (6). The rotation safety shutter is now free to rotate and the firing cap (7) is (spring)rotated over the detonator (8) and below the firing pin (9).

The upper body (2) houses the arming vane (10) with its rotation spring (11), the arming vane relase lever (12), the firing pin (9) and its blade spring (13), the locking ball (14) for the firing pin and the bag with gel(15).
On release the fast rotation of the clusterbomb throws the gel in the bag (blue) outward, thereby flattening the bag, creating enough space for the arming vane to rotate. The arming vane is rotated by means of a rotation wire spring (11). The arming vane release (yellow, 12) keeps a blade spring (red, above the release vane) in upward position, blocking the arming vane (10) from rotating.
When, -after release from the CBU - the rotation safety shutter (3) rotates, it turns the arming vane release - hooked in a slot in the rotation safety shutter with its lower part-, so enabeling the blade spring to move down and release the arming vane.
The firing pin(9) is (blade)spring (13) loaded and has a recess in top in which a small ball (14) fits, keeping the firing pin in upward position. The arming vane has a slot on the outer circumference of its shaft in which the ball fits, releasing the firing pin when the slot has rotated in line with the ball.
In the picture it can be observed two types of arming vanes are used;

type 1 with one slot (red arrow), meaning after rotating the arming vane the firing pin is released, exploding the clusterbomb, either in the air or on the ground.

The type 2 has two slots (blue and red arrow); after rotation of the arming vane, the ball will fall into the first slot (blue arrow). As there is still spring tension on the arming vane by the rotation spring (11), the arming vane will have to rotate/creep to the red slot beside it to release the firing pin.
I am not treally shure what happens next, but there are in my opinion- two possibillities:

* impact will make the ball (14) jump the next (red arrow) slot releasing the firing pin, exploding the clusterbomb instantly. (impact fuze)

*After impact the rotation spring (11) will slowly start to rotate (creep) the arming vane, pushing away the gel in the bag until the ball falls in the next (red) slot, releasing the firing pin and exploding the clusterbomb. This forms a random time delay. As the clusterbomb does not rotate anymore after impact, the bag of gel has retaken its original form causing more resistance than in a rotating clusterbomb. This increased resistance lengthens the time delay.
I suppose the delay will probably also be dependant on the outside temperature as the gel in the bag will be thicker either thinner when used in artic either tropical conditions.

I am not shure -maybe someone can tell me- that the fuze with the type 2 vane is the M-218 (0-120 minutes) random delay fuze or the M224 (0-30 minutes) random delay fuze. I have no further drawings, descriptions or info of this type of fuze.

Regards , DJH

Attachments

• fuze complete, upside down.JPG
    fuze complete, upside down.JPG
    63.2 KB · Views: 130
  • armig vane and liquid bag functioning.jpg
    armig vane and liquid bag functioning.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 136
  • arming vanes, arming vane release, firing pin.jpg
    arming vanes, arming vane release, firing pin.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 133
  • firing cap and spring in upper housing upside down.JPG
    firing cap and spring in upper housing upside down.JPG
    84 KB · Views: 123
  • firing cap rotation shutter armed.JPG
    firing cap rotation shutter armed.JPG
    57 KB · Views: 125
  • firing cap rotation shutter safe.JPG
    firing cap rotation shutter safe.JPG
    48.6 KB · Views: 129
  • rotational spring upper housing.jpg
    rotational spring upper housing.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 136
  • upper housing and liquid bag.jpg
    upper housing and liquid bag.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 143
  • upper housing with firing pin and ball.JPG
    upper housing with firing pin and ball.JPG
    87.5 KB · Views: 138
  • Impact fuze M219 (E1) complete.JPG
    Impact fuze M219 (E1) complete.JPG
    66.8 KB · Views: 159
Wow! Excellent posts DJH!
The russian ShOAB 0.5 cluster's fuze is total copy of the US BLU-26's fuze? Or have different russian fuze?
Here some practice model:

To my regret I do not know if the fuze is an exact copy as I have no info at all about the russian fuze. It may however be a 1:1 copy as it is not smart to change a good working concept. I would be most intetrested to know.

Hi
(sorry for my English)
The M38/M40,
A smaller version of the ball shaped clusterbombs. The bomblet is also rotation armed. 950 pcs. these bomblets were packed in the warhead of the Lance missile.
Diameter: 45 mm
No further info about grenade or fuze is available. The M38/M40 in the picture is a dummy.

On the Ordata website and in the book "Antipersonnel Weapons" I found a little more info about M38/M40. BTW Ordata claims that diameter is 43 mm. Total weight 136 g, explosive weight 27 g (Comp.B). According to AW book M38 has an impact fuze, M40 random delay fuze. Moreover, in Ordata site are drawings of M40 with M219 and M219E1 fuze. This could confirm what you write above, that M219 was a random delay time fuze.
The blue dummy is of an unknown type designation , however of US manufacturing
Diameter: 48 mm
On Ordata is mentioned such thing as M32 grenade. Diameter:48 mm, total weight 204 g, explosive weight 42 g (Comp.B). Unfortunately, no info about fuze. On the application list are Honest John artillery rocket and SUU-24 and SUU-30-family dispensers. In fact I never hear before about any cluster bomb with M32 grenades.

Last edited:
It's an M190 warhead for the Honest John system.
Filled with 368 GB filled M139 submunitions

You are both absolutely right. I forgot to take away the wrong picture on this forum. However , if I take it away now it will disturb the "fabric" of the posting.
Here the correct ammunition for this warhead.
http://www.wk2ammo.com/showthread.php?t=5162

Regards, DJH

Last edited:
Hi
(sorry for my English)

On the Ordata website and in the book "Antipersonnel Weapons" I found a little more info about M38/M40. BTW Ordata claims that diameter is 43 mm. Total weight 136 g, explosive weight 27 g (Comp.B). According to AW book M38 has an impact fuze, M40 random delay fuze. Moreover, in Ordata site are drawings of M40 with M219 and M219E1 fuze. This could confirm what you write above, that M219 was a random delay time fuze.

On Ordata is mentioned such thing as M32 grenade. Diameter:48 mm, total weight 204 g, explosive weight 42 g (Comp.B). Unfortunately, no info about fuze. On the application list are Honest John artillery rocket and SUU-24 and SUU-30-family dispensers. In fact I never hear before about any cluster bomb with M32 grenades.

I believe you have it backwards, the M40 was impact and the M38 was random delay. A lot of the references for submunitions are less than accurate.

DJ, my data does not show the golfball type submunitions being carried in the Lance missile, though they were in numerous rocket warheads and may have been in the Bullpup missile.

M38s, M40s and M32s could be either dispenser dropped or released from warheads. The MK5 Mod 0 dispenser (MK 15 cluster) carried 2020 M40s, or 2020 M38s as the MK22 cluster (Sadeye). The SUU-30 carried 2025. My favorite is the SUU-24, it carried 38,520. The Honest John submunition warhead carried 4800 of the M38/M40 or 3093 of the M32.

The M32 used the M212 fuze, the M38 used the M218 fuze and the M40 used either the M219 or the M291E1 fuze. The M219 series is impact only. The M218 has an internal sack filled with viscous fluid, when the fluid is forced out it fires.

Here are some of my golfball variations, plus my Honest John submunition warhead - behind the other little pieces..

Attachments

• DSCN0243.jpg
    DSCN0243.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 222
  • DSCN0249.jpg
    DSCN0249.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 198
Hi
I believe you have it backwards, the M40 was impact and the M38 was random delay.

Of course you are right. My mistake, sorry.

DJ, my data does not show the golfball type submunitions being carried in the Lance missile, though they were in numerous rocket warheads and may have been in the Bullpup missile.

According to "Anti-personnel Weapons" book, Lance warhead carried 860 BLU-63. Bullpup carried unspecified number of BLU-26. There's also mentioned Little John cluster warhead, with unknown number of M38/M40.

Hi

Of course you are right. My mistake, sorry.

According to "Anti-personnel Weapons" book, Lance warhead carried 860 BLU-63. Bullpup carried unspecified number of BLU-26. There's also mentioned Little John cluster warhead, with unknown number of M38/M40.

Correct, sort of. When used from ground delivery systems there is a different designation, in this case it is the M74. BLU is an Airforce designation and does not apply to ground delivery systems. The ATACMS also carries the M74, but an unknown number. It is unknown because during the build, the warhead would be placed in an upright position, and eventually move to the filling point. At this point a chute above would open up, dumping BLU-63s into the warhead. Once it was near full the operator would stop it and push a button, the entire table would shake, moving the bomblets deeper into the warhead. They activate the chute again, fill a little more, shake the table again, till they are satisfied it is full. I had never seen such a thing and was shocked. They explained it was the most efficient way, and that the onboard computer took everything into account, so weight variences were no problem. Normal number was between 875 and 900 submunitions.

I expect when you refer to the "Anti-personnel Weapons" book you are talking about the one done by SIPRI? It is one of the more accurate, though it suffers from a couple of flaws, it was done by researchers who only saw data, no actual weapons experience, and there are no photos to aid with identification.

My reference to the Lance is about the golfballs, M32, M38 and the M40. We used to refer to the sizes of the spherical submunitions as golfballs, baseballs and softballs.

Pete, the HJ warhead is still in the basement, I'll move it and the dispensers when they finish the last bits inside (furnace/plumbing). Till then they just take up too much room - even in the Bombatorium.

Hi
Thank you US-Subs for very interesting information about filling technology. It must be very exciting job, all day shaking thousands of bomblets :)
I expect when you refer to the "Anti-personnel Weapons" book you are talking about the one done by SIPRI? It is one of the more accurate, though it suffers from a couple of flaws, it was done by researchers who only saw data, no actual weapons experience, and there are no photos to aid with identification.

Yes, exactly this one.

Does anyone have anymore information on fuzes used in the BLU26, 36 and 59. I have had a BLU26 self detonate 16 minutes after the searcher had excavated it. I know that all these BLU's are externally identical.
Definatively I would like to know the fuze designations used and the delay timings.

I have the data, but no time right now. If no one else provides I can get to it by this weekend, maybe earlier depending on work.

Suspect BLU36 or BLU 59 detonation

Guys please help. We did a demolition and 15min later an uncontrolled detonation took place any info on the 218 and 224 fuze delays

A year before I retired - was stationed at Ft SIll we ahd to clear an area so they could palce new targets. Becasue the area for just full of UXO of all kinds airdropped, Honest John and arty I elected to pick a spot repell down clear an imediate area then bring the chopper in with the rest of the team and equipment. Once on the ground I loocked around and found I was right in the middle of all kinds of baseball ICM. I was just radioing the chopper to tell them that the area was too dangerous and that I was going to work my way to a better spot when one of the ICms detonated. The blast knocked me to the ground. As I got up I could see the chopper niose drop comming toward me at a fast speed. I radio'd telling them to stay away and that I would work my way to them. When I got to the chopper and was climbing in, the medic on board grabed me rolled me over and started pulling my flak jacket and web gear off. The back of my jacket had multiple pin holes all over it and my kevlar helment had a nice big piece of frag sticking part way through right at just below where my ear would have been. Only reason I didn't get that frag in the neck was I had the helment pushed up on the left side while I was using the radio (PRC 77). Can't say for sure which BLU it was, but I really don't care. regardless I BIP them all. Fuze doesn't make any difference when you can't tell which item you have any way.